Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Smart Rails?  (Read 6113 times)

April 02, 2016, 02:43:51 PM
Reply #15

Carpe Diem II

• Information Offline
Re: Smart Rails?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »

Hi, new member here, and I hate posting on old topics from years back but I can't help it on this one.  I know this is a shot in the dark but I've been looking into this for a while and stumbled across this post. I have a 2000 265 Albemarle just like this one and am about to install Taco Spray rails.  This is exactly what I want to do on mine.  My question is do you know if you can buy the rails in longer sections than 18'?  I looked for them and could only find them 18' long, so do you know if your neighbors boat is done with more than one piece on each side fused together somehow or is there a way to get these longer lengths then 18'?

I know on the Albemarles the Taco Spray rails are installed mainly to help with the handling characteristics of this hull and are even recommended from the factory, the added spray deflection is just a bonus.  Albemarle suggested to run them from stern, 18' forward however I have seen most run them all the way to the bow and I wonder if running them from stern, 18' forward would be sufficient for the handling or if going all the way forward such as this one does better for any reason. Just never had the opportunity as this to ask anyone.  If there is any way you could put me in contact with your neighbor or find out these questions I would be ecstatic!!!!  I would hate to permanently fix something to the side of my boat with screws and epoxy only to find out they are in the wrong place or don't fix the problem I am looking to solve. 

Thanks you advance for ANY information!
Albemarle 265 Express

April 02, 2016, 05:50:59 PM
Reply #16

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Welcome aboard Carpe  :s_hi:

In my mind I ask why would you need a spray rail in the aft of your boat?  They are for knocking down the water as you cut through waves so it stays down, but in the aft? Does it help the Albe sit more stable or something?  I would think from the bow to just aft of the helm?
My  :2Cents:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

April 04, 2016, 11:49:15 AM
Reply #17

Carpe Diem II

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
Rick,
Thanks for the reply. After a lot of research on this I know that on these 265/268 Albes they began installing an in house "strake kit" in mid 2000s at the factory as a correction to previous handling and listing problems associated with the design of this hull which would cause abrupt changes in direction in varying sea conditions as well as a horrible lean to the severity that the buttons on these boats trim tabs were being slap wore out.  After some time they stopped using their in house strake kit and started using the taco spray rails instead.  From others feedback it is a must have but this is all old information I am going off of and its hard to find someone with a somewhat recent post such as this to get some information from. 

I'm pretty much set on going with the taco spray rails to correct this problem and any spray deflection is just an added bonus.  My main concern is weather to run them from stern 18' forward as albemarle states or to take them all the way as I have seen and why one would chose to go this route or the other.

Thank you.
Albemarle 265 Express

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal