Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Injecting soft deck areas  (Read 3839 times)

April 22, 2014, 01:03:05 PM
Reply #15

Bushleaguer

• Information Offline
Re: Injecting soft deck areas
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
I got around to doing my deck soft spot with this technique this past weekend.  I am not an expert with glass / epoxy work, so I thought I would share how it went for me and some of the issues I ran across.  First off, I taped the entire soft area, then marked the holes on about 4" centers:

I drilled 82 holes.  I poked all the way thru on only three of them. (circled in sharpie).

A couple of observations on the drilling- if you use a new, sharp drill bit, once you break the top skin, the bit will take off in a hurry thru the wood underneath.  When you pop thru the top skin, ease off and reduce bit speed.  By going slowly, you really can feel the bit work thru the different layers of material.  I drilled 1/4" holes.

Next, I mixed up resin and hardener (west system) per the instructions.  I intended to inject some of this resin mixture with no cabosil into the holes as described to get some type of saturation before going with the thick stuff.

I found that the holes I drilled in the areas of "transition" (where the soft spot got better and eventually became sloid) would take little or none of the resin.  The result was that the pressured material in the caulk gun came storming out of the hole when I removed the gun tip.  I had a pint + of resin all over the place on a number of holes.  What a mess.  I basically took the spilled material and squeegeed it into nearby holes and let it drain in.  This part of the procedure did not go well and frankly made me a bit nervous.  Other holes- specifically the ones furthest outboard, where the core was in the worst shape, took almost a whole caulk tube full of resin.  If I had to do it over again, I would probably go back to the syringe method and samller holes to start out with when doing the thin resin mixture.

Next, I switched off to the thicker mixture with the cabosil  This was quite a bit easier to control in the caulk gun, but certain holes would take little or none of the material.  It was far less messy as well.  The problem I had in this stage was that by the time I got done mixing the epoxy ( I believe I did around 12 or 15 12 oz batches), the stuff I had initially injected was already starting to kick.  I had to move fast to get all the holes injected.  The heat generated was incredible- almost to the point of scaring me.

Looking back, I would probably do the project in two sections of about 40 holes each.  I would drill holes only where the soft spot is clearly defined and stay away from injecting near the edges or transition areas.  I would consider forgoing the injection of pure resin and maybe start right off with the thickened mixture.  The caulk gun method seems to force the material in with enough force to fill all the voids and bleed out of several neighboring holes.

Anyway, the final result was pretty awesome.  Floor is solid now like someone poured concrete.  It's not pretty to look at, but I feel a lot better about the stability of the area.  The floor was so soft that the area of the floor where it curves up to form the gunwale was cracking and getting ready to fail catastrophically.  I filled in the cracks and now it should last a good long while.

Here's what it looked like when finished:
1987 Osprey 222 w/ Twin 2013 Yamaha F70 LA\'s

April 22, 2014, 01:30:07 PM
Reply #16

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
[/url][/img]

April 22, 2014, 02:08:38 PM
Reply #17

redemn93

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
do you feel you couldve gone with less holes spread further apart?  just wondering.  i see everyone doing this with so many holes.  but a little time with some filler, sander and some paint and you wouldnt really know the floor was drilled.  how much resin did you use total?
Jason.  1987 200 Osprey - almost done...for now

April 22, 2014, 02:09:29 PM
Reply #18

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
Excellent!!!  I was just down at the boat working on my console and I climbed in to see how my repair area was doing. Almost a year later and still sturdy as heck!!!

Yours sure does look familiar! I used 1/8 inch bits and after the first couple of holes I wrapped some masking tape around the bit at the right depth to keep it from going all the way through.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

April 22, 2014, 02:15:43 PM
Reply #19

Bushleaguer

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »
do you feel you couldve gone with less holes spread further apart? just wondering. i see everyone doing this with so many holes. but a little time with some filler, sander and some paint and you wouldnt really know the floor was drilled. how much resin did you use total?

It seemed that some holes the epoxy traveled pretty well and it wasn't long before it would seep out the surrounding holes.  Others seem to take hardly any epoxy, to none at all.  Those holes I could have gotten away with leaving alone.  If I did it over, I would not drill the row of holes running fore to aft on the most inboard side.  Those were in the transition area and hardly took any epoxy.  I basically just filled in those holes with epoxy.

I used 3 quarts of resin total and about a half of a quart sized can of cabosil.
1987 Osprey 222 w/ Twin 2013 Yamaha F70 LA\'s

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal