Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Transom rebuild on a 25' xpress fisherman.  (Read 655 times)

August 17, 2013, 10:25:17 PM
Read 655 times

Aquaman25

• Information Offline
Transom rebuild on a 25' xpress fisherman.
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
Has anybody done a transom rebuild on a 25' xpress fisherman,mine is going to need one and I'm trying to find any
help I can get.I can't believe I didn't check the transom more carefully,there is a little flex near the bottom
and about the same on top,I did the hammer thing and all was good till I got to the top starboard engine bolt then thud.
I tapped a few more times and left an indent in the gel coat,sea cast is what I'm thinking,any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Jay Benson

August 18, 2013, 12:09:19 AM
Reply #1

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: Transom rebuild on a 25' xpress fisherman.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
Quote from: "Aquaman25"
Has anybody done a transom rebuild on a 25' xpress fisherman,mine is going to need one and I'm trying to find any
help I can get.I can't believe I didn't check the transom more carefully,there is a little flex near the bottom
and about the same on top,I did the hammer thing and all was good till I got to the top starboard engine bolt then thud.
I tapped a few more times and left an indent in the gel coat,sea cast is what I'm thinking,any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Jay Benson

Again, welcome aboard!

The members have had great sucess with poured transoms.

What year is your ride?

Upload your pics  to the Photo Gallery here.

:thumright:

August 18, 2013, 06:51:41 AM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
Hi Jay,
There have been a couple of transom rebuilds on the XF models and I think one was poured.  You'll have to spend a little time using the search function until you find them. The craftsman may also see this thread and reply.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 18, 2013, 08:22:00 AM
Reply #3

Aquaman25

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
thanks in advance,
Jay Benson

Again, welcome aboard!

What year is your ride?

it's an 85 hull.

August 18, 2013, 08:38:06 AM
Reply #4

Aquaman25

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
thanks in advance,
Jay Benson

Again, welcome aboard!

What year is your ride?

Hi,I'm having problems uploading pics,is there a size limit?
Thanks
Jay

August 18, 2013, 09:14:27 AM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
They size themselves. Try uploading one pic at the time...sometimes it gets cranky :(

August 18, 2013, 01:29:48 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
I uploaded 5 huge pics at a time yesterday to the gallery no problem - and yes the gallery sizes them for you.
Don't "attach" the pics - you have a gallery, go to your gallery and upload them. Then follow the instructions at the top of every forum to post them.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 18, 2013, 01:55:32 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Not an EX but a lot of good photos on pouring a transom.
viewtopic.php?p=44821#p44821

There are several others plus a current rebuild (kaptainkoz)
viewtopic.php?p=109460#p109460
He's is planning to pour his 245 CCP which is in fact your hull, just different caps.

Timing is everything and this looks to be perfect in your case.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 18, 2013, 09:34:33 PM
Reply #8

Aquaman25

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it,I had a friend come over from L.I NY,he works for Spellmans Marina.
we went over the boat and what we found was that the motor bracket on the bottom was lose and that's what was pulling away from the transom. :oops:
How I missed that and why the marina didn't pick up on it is beyond me.I bought bigger washers and sealant and we re-tightened the bolts.
it seems fine now,but because its 28 yrs old,I think sometime down the road I am going to rebuild it,it just makes sense that a boat that old, that the transom is probably on the way out, better safe than sorry.
He checked out the boat and transom and said the only concern he had was my steering,it needed to be bled,their is air in the system.
the steering head is a not a teleflex but a Morse with a teleflex cylinder.
I will try to upload again.
thanks again.
Jay

August 18, 2013, 10:47:46 PM
Reply #9

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
Hello,
Yes Bob is correct is that I am looking to do Seacast and soon. I wish I could be more of a resource but I have done ample research and i'm hooked on the pourable. You can follow my thread as I progress. I should be pouring within the next 6 - 8 weeks. I have some unique hurdles as my transom is currently heavily bowed out and I am closing the transom off for a bracket. So I will have to engineer some interesting  brace work to get her bent in place where I want her. I am in Bellmore so im on long island too. Send me an email at captainkoz@aol.com if you need anything outside of this post. That goes for anyone, email me if you need anything. Ill do my best to help.
1979 246 CCP project boat forever in development, Chesapeake Bay Virginia
Steven Koz<a href=\"mailto:Captainkoz@aol.com\"
[img]http://i457.photobuc

August 19, 2013, 07:59:30 PM
Reply #10

Aquaman25

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "kaptainkoz"
Hello,
Yes Bob is correct is that I am looking to do Seacast and soon. I wish I could be more of a resource but I have done ample research and i'm hooked on the pourable. You can follow my thread as I progress. I should be pouring within the next 6 - 8 weeks. I have some unique hurdles as my transom is currently heavily bowed out and I am closing the transom off for a bracket. So I will have to engineer some interesting  brace work to get her bent in place where I want her. I am in Bellmore so im on long island too. Send me an email at captainkoz@aol.com if you need anything outside of this post. That goes for anyone, email me if you need anything. Ill do my best to help.
Thanks CaptainKoz,I sent you an email about the bow in your transom.
Jay

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal