Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: How do you handle wakes with your Aquasport  (Read 473 times)

July 10, 2013, 01:23:15 PM
Read 473 times

czizza

• Information Offline
    • http://www.dmtinc.com
How do you handle wakes with your Aquasport
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »
This was my Sunday's outing, I have to say I got her tuned really good, but that is another topic. Since I am new to boating and I have taken the NY Boaters Safety course which states to take the wakes at forty five degrees ... I still don't think I am doing it right?

Check out my video the first one I stop and roll, the second one on accident I go through but the last one I blast through at 45mph and it was the best.

What advise can I get from some seasoned captains? Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/ZTt0BZJ3CSw

July 10, 2013, 02:33:12 PM
Reply #1

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: How do you handle wakes with your Aquasport
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
Melo,

Boat sounds good!   :thumright:   Read this discussion and see if it helps at all.

http://www.classicaquasport.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10643&p=103922&hilit=wake#p103922
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

July 10, 2013, 03:41:02 PM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
The seas (or size of wake) should dictate the speed you take them at.
If you have a lot of width in the channel there is nothing wrong with riding down kinda parallel to the wakes and easing over them sideways at speed.  Each wake and approach to that wake is different for everyone.
Try turning more than you did into the wake and then work your way back out to see what works.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

July 11, 2013, 12:03:38 AM
Reply #3

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
I agree with Rick, size of the wave and the spacing between the waves dictates how you hit them, I've taken 4 footers head-on because I had no choice and all was well , but I've also taken 3 footers head-on and punched the bow into the next wave because they were that close together, I usually try to hit them at around 45degrees if at all possible...if it's to rough, just slow down some and take them. We were at Southport 2 weekends ago and the seas were 2-3 feet on the way out, 7-8 mph winds from offshore, a nice ride out, went out about 3 miles and was 6 miles down the beach from the inlet at Bald Head Island, Weather was to turn late that evening according to the weather channel,( changed at 3pm) but they forgot to tell mother nature :shock:  The 25 minute trip out turned into a hour and a half trip back going against 4 footers with a 15 mph headwind, every wave we hit at over 5-7 mph got the spray blown right back at us...we averaged 4-5 mph back to keep from staying soaked, then the chop at the mouth of the Cape Fear was shall we say bouncy :eye: tide coming in and with the wind it was by all means a day to watch the waves very carefully :thumright:  but she road them out just fine, the Mrs even had a good time except for the windblown water...the more you take her out the more comfortable you will get with her and get to know how see likes the waves and the best way to take them, for every inlet is different will humble you if you let it :salut:
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

July 11, 2013, 12:15:47 AM
Reply #4

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:15:47 AM »
Melo when you see a wake or a wave bigger then the ones you have been running in the key is to get your speed down before you are in the wave.. Same idea as not slamming on the brakes of a car as you go into the pothole.. You do not want the mass of the boat coming down into the face of a wave as it decelerates, if possible, you want to be in a stabilized speed or in a very slight acceleration think a slight goose of the throttle as you start up the face.  Don't hammer down or you'll jump the wave and that isn't good unless you want to do that..

In big water, approach at an angle to the prevailing swell, if it doesn't work with the course you need to run then you can run first one way then the other, "Serpentine Shel"!!!  :mrgreen:  and your course made good will be the direction you need to go.. Think of a blow boat tacking up wind. You end up picking you way through the sea, looking ahead for the less steep faces to cross..

Wakes are steepest closest to the boat that makes them.  One steep face within about a boat length  from the stern with multiple waves forming after about 3-4 boat lengths behind...  It is a BAD idea to cross within a boat length and that will also be where the wake is steepest.  A 40 foot sport fish on a slow plane will put up about a 3-4 foot wall that you do NOT want to hit that right under the stern.. give them some space.  If you parallel that wake to close, you will roll the drinks out of the drink holders, head on is a nothing deal too..  So, the short of it and it's to late for that, slow down and approach with care.  You will get the feel for what speed is appropriate relatively quickly the more underway time you get..  :salut:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

July 11, 2013, 12:30:39 AM
Reply #5

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
The first wake was from a lot bigger boat. It displaces more water than the other ones and at speed has a significantly higher and steeper shape. You have to keep an eye on each one that passes and pretty much any hull over 30 feet is going to have a much larger wake. We fished with skoot right off of Clearwater beach and had a really large sportfisherman crank it up a notch at least 2 miles out from us. After about 20 minutes here comes his wake. It still had to be at least 2 feet if not bigger. We could see it coming from offshore for quite a while. You have to be really attuned to the conditions as they change second to second. The 45 rule works but I had to cross one today that was about 3 feet and cresting. I hit the first wave about parallel and then cut into the next two at the 45 angle. I guess that is my point, you have to be ready to react very quickly. Just wait till you misjudge one and stuff the bow.

What dburr says also!
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal