Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Never did this...  (Read 648 times)

May 30, 2013, 01:10:23 AM
Reply #15

icemanbryan

Re: Never did this...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
Can never have too many keys.
I keep one in the glove box of my truck.
I keep an extra in my service kit under the console.
I keep a set in the ignition.
I also have one hidden above the electronic box under the t top canvas.
About 25 years ago, I had a kinda looser friend with a boat.
He dropped his only key in the drink, no idea why he took it out of the ignition.
This was up in LA harbor.
The tide was incoming, we actually drifted into the marina and got towed into the ramp.
After that, I had enough keys made to never not have one.
Just crazy I guess.

May 30, 2013, 06:00:16 AM
Reply #16

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 06:00:16 AM »
Quote from: "jahoward1"
Quote from: "Blue Agave"
Regarding your trailer and the surge backs, first thing I would check is the ground. If the trailer and brakes do not have a good ground you will have issues backing up.

It always comes down to the ground doesn't it?  I was looking at the new wire connectors and I think I saw some corrosion. I'll see first what happens once its cleaned out.

If you have verified the connections with a VOM or a test light then more than likely it is the override solenoid valve on the trailer behind the master cylinder. They go bad fairly often. Do you have a single wire valve or two wire valve? The way to test the valve is take a 12V battery, connect the negative post to the trailer connector ground and the positive post to the voltage signal wire that goes to the solenoid valve and you should hear the solenoid make a clicking sound when you take the positive wire on and off the trailer plug post that feeds the solenoid. If no click on a two wire system, clean the ground connection where it fastens to the trailer frame and try again. If no click, replace the solenoid. If a single wire solenoid, it is self grounding and if no click during the original test, replace the solenoid. You will have to bleed the brake system after you replace the solenoid because it is screwed to the back of the master cylinder and you will lose fluid and introduce air into the system. It is fairly simple to diagnose and correct. I've had to do it on my Boatmaster trailer and it now works fine.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

May 30, 2013, 11:01:14 AM
Reply #17

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
I don't think I have ever removed the keys from the ignition.
That would be 23 years. :shock:
I don't think I would dare remove them now, probably corroded in place. :lol:

Bill
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

May 31, 2013, 09:25:24 AM
Reply #18

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
I cleaned the connectors on both the truck and the trailer and it seemed to do the trick. But the problem has been intermittent from the start so I can't be sure yet. I'm picking the boat and trailer up today or tomorrow and should have a little more time to be certain. We'll see.

1997 Aquasport 200 Osprey
"Sally May"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal