Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Impeller & My Luck  (Read 319 times)

May 19, 2013, 08:20:28 PM
Read 319 times

wessnapp

• Information Offline
Impeller & My Luck
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »
On Sunday night/Monday morning, we were blessed with the arrival of our 2nd child: Emerson Paige Snapp.  She is beautiful and is healthy.  Those with kids will know that the arrival of a child to a mother who wants to solely breast feed stay at home to help only to sit around and twiddle your thumbs.  What better time than now to pull the lower unit and change out the impeller/pump?  Keep in mind I have never ever done this before.....was a bit nervous like a virgin on prom night.

Found that the 2000 Johnson 150 does not have a 90* turn off the shift shaft, but a 10* turn that leads to a clamp...NOBODY told me to expect what I found, but figured it out and dropped it like it's hot:

Placed the lower unit in my ladder for support and off to the races....

Got down to the impeller and found a good amount of sand and lots of deep groves in the metal plates.  At this point I am feeling good about myself for doing this project.  

Went to pull off the impeller and it was stuck.  I wiggled, I tugged, I twisted, I turned, I pried, I begged god and nothing happened.  Then I decided to get a vice grip on the impeller and slowly spin the crank shaft.....only to see almost immediately gear lube flowing from the water intakes.   sCo_hmmthink   I think this can't be good.

Checked the other side and the same. sAng_scream

SO now I have an impeller stuck, internal seals busted, an inoperable boat.

SILVER LINING:  If I had run my boat another 3 hours, the seals probably would have failed and I would have burned out my lower unit with salt water.  It's a 13 year old motor - seals go bad - there is nothing anyone can do about it.  Better in my garage than under the skyway.
St. Petersburg, Florida

Aquasport 200 Osprey Tournament Master w/150 Johnson
http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/wsnapp/Aquasport/
http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com

May 19, 2013, 08:54:16 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Impeller & My Luck
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:16 PM »
Now Wes, just one post will do...AND BIG TIME CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE ONE!!!  What's her nickname gonna be?  Mer?  Emer?  Merson?  Paige?

So...driveshafts turn thousands of RPMs, just like motors...yet you rotated yours and the seals let go.  The impeller has a keyway, so it will turn with the shaft, it most likely took a corrosion "set" on the shaft, some PB would have helped with that.  But the gear oil out the intakes?  Hmmm.....

Corner of 520 and A1A...

May 19, 2013, 09:04:56 PM
Reply #2

dburr

• Information Offline
Re: Impeller & My Luck
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »
:rendeer: a :cheers: i :mrgreen: !!!!!  On a healthy baby girl!! Most EXCELLENT and the best news is that Mom is ok too!  If this is the first time around, get up and stay awake for the 2 o'clock feeding, don't ask ,just do it! :thumright:

Bummer about the lower unit, but I agree, better to find a leak while it is home, odd that the top seal would go like that but stranger things have happened. Pulling the bearing carrier is going to be a party.. Go slow, put the penetrant to the bolts and the carrier flange now..  If you don't have an OEM shop manual it would be wise to get one.. The Seloc book that I used on the Merc got me into trouble that ended adding $120 in parts to the project.

That LU holder is pretty cool!! :?  :thumleft:  :thumright:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal