Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Electric Start Kicker with ACR???  (Read 340 times)

April 01, 2013, 04:00:44 PM
Read 340 times

TheKid

• Information Offline
Electric Start Kicker with ACR???
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
So I have my boat all wired up with the new ACR and Combiner Switch from Blue Seas. Now I have an electric start kicker!

I understand that the main engine will now charge the house battery when the starting battery is fully charged, or both batteries actually.

Question is, do I install my kicker leads to the same post on the combiner Switch as the main engine?

Would there be any issues installing it directly to the starting battery or house?

Reason I ask is, the area that my Switch/ACR is is not that accessible for the kicker leads. But the batteries are right there.

In the long run, I think the attaching to the motor side of the switch is the right thing to do. But, the season starts Saturday and I may just attach to either the house or starting. I am leaning towards the house for two reasons. One, it will suppliment the battery with all the electronics running and down riggers. Two, I's like to keep the starting battery isolated for, you guessed it, starting the main.

But....I dont want to create any noise or spikes for my instruments, so I also lean towards the starting battery.

HELP!

April 12, 2013, 02:06:31 PM
Reply #1

TheKid

• Information Offline
Re: Electric Start Kicker with ACR???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
No one uses an ACR or VSR and has an aux. motor?

April 12, 2013, 03:00:18 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
I have neither so I'll answer.

This is a way old link you may have seen. Don't know it there is any info you can use.
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000650.html

It appears you are on the right track about wiring to the start side of the ACR, it's the logistics that's killing you.
Your ACR does have an option for house load (electronics isolation) protection. I'll assume you have that in place.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

April 12, 2013, 08:20:56 PM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I have an ACR for my two batteries but no Aux motor.
If I'm not mistaken, the ACR works by monitoring both sides of it's connections and when it receives more voltage on the charging side AND less voltage but no short on it's bridge side, it passes charging current to the other battery.  I would think you should connect the Aux engine to the same place as the main engine.
Your best bet is to contact BlueSeas though - they answer promptly and are experts on their stuff. I am not sure what would happen if you had both engines running.  I'm thinking that people run twins all the time and no isolation is needed.  Contact BlueSeas.
My $.02
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

April 16, 2013, 06:50:57 PM
Reply #4

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
That's what I'm thinking.

Haven't had a chance to mount it yet.

Will update when I do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal