Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Self Bailing Deck Question  (Read 1980 times)

March 27, 2013, 09:15:01 PM
Read 1980 times

gwinvader72

• Information Offline
Self Bailing Deck Question
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
I have a 1979 Family Fisherman 176 that I recently bought and it has a self bailing deck. When I stand in the back of the boat water comes into the boat through the self bailing system.  The boat seems to have newer radiator hoses that allow the water to pass in and out of the boat.  My question is... is this how the system originally worked or did the boat have some kind of check valve system that didn't allow water back on deck?  Thanks.

March 27, 2013, 09:58:18 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Self Bailing Deck Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
I would guess that at the time the boat was built, and with a medium weight capacity on board, she was self bailing and water didn't come back in the drains, even with a couple people at the stern.  But, she is now 34 years old...and has gained quite a bit of weight, usually due to water intrusion into the foam.  So now she sits lower in the water all by herself, add you and a hefty BIL at the stern, well, that puts your cockpit sole below the waterline, hence, water comes back in through the drains.  Pretty much the deal.

You can install T-H Marine's in-line scuppers which will help.  Here's a link...http://www.jmsonline.net/inline-scupper ... nQoddGsA2A

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 28, 2013, 12:44:40 AM
Reply #2

gwinvader72

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »
Thanks I'll give that a try.

March 28, 2013, 08:29:02 AM
Reply #3

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
So its a I/O?  X2 on the scuppers. I put the ping pong ones on mine and they help a lot!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... VQ3VRx1_Sg
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

March 28, 2013, 09:04:59 AM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »
Quote from: "slvrlng"
So its a I/O?  X2 on the scuppers. I put the ping pong ones on mine and they help a lot!

Lewis, I think he is referring to the drain hoses from the cockpit drains...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 28, 2013, 09:05:40 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
Look something like this?

Lower left corner of pic. I'm guessing that is where you're seeing the water enter.

Is it possible to take a photo of the hose configuration of the drain?

SB is correct. The drainage system works on displacement of the cockpit water based on the deck elevation being above the water line.
Extra weight gain over the years happens to everyone (some more than others) but there is not a whole lot of elevation difference between the deck and the outfall thru hull to begin with so.... A pic would be helpful.

Hard to visualize but this is the same (sorta) design on a standard 22.2 CCP. Not a lot of fall between the deck drain and the thru hull. I'd speculate that you do not have the 90 degree bend at the drain but rather a straight though connection. That provides a little more fall.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 28, 2013, 11:27:47 AM
Reply #6

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:47 AM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

As Bob said he is referring to the drain hoses and thru hulls that I just removed.  The fact that you have new hoses is good, but not much access to this at all unless you have the back cap cut out as I did.  As we know, this was a bad design.

On my 200 CCP, I was able to plug those holes with a regular drain plug from the inside.  This is your only option to avoid wet feet.  This way you can control when you have the plugs in or out depending on sea conditions.  If it was calm, I would leave my plugs in unless it got rough and spray was entering the boat.  I found this to work really well.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 28, 2013, 12:06:55 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
Quote from: "jdupree"
On my 200 CCP, I was able to plug those holes with a regular drain plug from the inside.  This is your only option to avoid wet feet.  This way you can control when you have the plugs in or out depending on sea conditions.  If it was calm, I would leave my plugs in unless it got rough and spray was entering the boat. I found this to work really well.

I followed the exact same procedure on my 22.2 CCP. The expandable plugs work as JD stated. My stern was not waterlogged but I added a full bracket and launching on most ramps would allow water entry. The plugs are a quick, easy and inexpensive fix. You may need to "shop" the exact size but by using the expandable type, a tight fit is easy.

Good luck and dry feet.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 28, 2013, 12:10:42 PM
Reply #8

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
Quote from: "jdupree"
Quote from: "seabob4"

As Bob said he is referring to the drain hoses and thru hulls that I just removed.  The fact that you have new hoses is good, but not much access to this at all unless you have the back cap cut out as I did.  As we know, this was a bad design.

On my 200 CCP, I was able to plug those holes with a regular drain plug from the inside.  

Lots of nasty Pogie Juice and scales also seems to plug them up pretty well :mrgreen:
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

March 28, 2013, 04:12:34 PM
Reply #9

gwinvader72

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Yeah Bob that's my boat and basically the exact same drain setup as whats in it.  

I came across a problem using the plugs.  It is a little hard to explain but here goes...  

The entrance where the plug would go in, is not a smooth surface on the inside. It has two bumps (Ill call them) opposite each other, that run the length of it to where the hose connects. I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense. These bumps do not seem to allow the plug to make a water tight seal.

What I ended up doing is I found a valve made of pvc at Lowes and put it in the hose. This way I can turn it on and off doing what the plugs would have done.

March 28, 2013, 09:29:51 PM
Reply #10

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Quote from: "gwinvader72"
Yeah Bob that's my boat and basically the exact same drain setup as whats in it.  

I came across a problem using the plugs.  It is a little hard to explain but here goes...  

The entrance where the plug would go in, is not a smooth surface on the inside. It has two bumps (Ill call them) opposite each other, that run the length of it to where the hose connects. I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense. These bumps do not seem to allow the plug to make a water tight seal.

What I ended up doing is I found a valve made of pvc at Lowes and put it in the hose. This way I can turn it on and off doing what the plugs would have done.

We call those bumps "ears".  They are formed to allow a triangular shaped "wrench" (t/hull tool) to grab the inside of the t/hull and tighten it up when access to the backing nut is limited...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 29, 2013, 10:05:51 AM
Reply #11

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
Good one Marc, Good one :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :thumright:

Gwinvader - Glad you figured out a way to do it :thumright:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999