You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 170 new gas tank size  (Read 418 times)

February 19, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
Read 418 times

bpcarr1972

• Information Offline
170 new gas tank size
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »
I'm new to this site and recently purchased a 1970 170. The great information here was invaluable in helping me decide to buy! I didn't know anything about these boats but fell in love with the sheer line. My boat has some transom delamination and the crack at the top but doesn't move at all even when I stand on the motor and bounce. Will be taking care of it in the spring. The floor seems solid but I think the fiberglass has separated from the plywood causing some movement. The boat has the small console but was missing the gas tank that would have come inside. I picked up a 19 gallon tank that seems like it came off the boat, a perfect fit under the console.

I still have to drill some holes in the floor to see the shape of the core. If it needs replacement, I will take the opportunity to install a belly tank. I will be running a '94 88 Evinrude SPL. Here are my questions:

Since I don't have a coffin, should I build one? What are my options here? I want to put a poly belly tank in and foam. Could I just deck over the tank with access hatches for fittings?

How big of a tank could I put in without causing weight problems. I have a lead on a 50 gallon poly tank but thats at least 300lbs of fuel. Too big? I know this boat had the option for a 35 gallon above deck tank, 15 more gallons down low seem ok but I'm not sure.

Thanks, Ben

February 19, 2013, 06:50:29 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 170 new gas tank size
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
Hi Ben, welcome aboard.
The stock tank back then was 24 or 27gals and it was inside the console.  Didn't leave any room to store anything in there.
I am putting a 27gal belly tank under the sole in my rebuild. Then I'll move everything that I had at the transom to inside the console.
There are plenty of the same tank where I got mine - Marine Surplus in Bradenton, FL. Not sure where you're located.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal