Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: One spot retaining moisture... what to do?  (Read 694 times)

December 07, 2012, 10:19:31 AM
Read 694 times

jaycal3

• Information Offline
One spot retaining moisture... what to do?
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
I have a 1986-87 250 Osprey that is now covered for the winter.  While the entire interior is now completely dry there is a spot on the floor just forward of the center console that seems to be retaining moisture.  The floor is a tad bit soft there and appears to be a bit wet.  Is there a way to dry it out and keep it dry without any further damage? I plan on repainting or gelcoating certain areas and then laying SeaDek down for spring, and will also be replacing many of the screws and other hardware on the floor and recaulking to make it more water tight.  So I was just wondering if there is a way to stop any further damage?  I am pretty sure this area is just to the side of  one of two gas tanks in the boat.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
"King of the C\'s"

1986 250 Osprey with a 2012 E-Tec 200 HO

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

December 07, 2012, 11:45:49 AM
Reply #1

jdupree

• Information Offline
Re: One spot retaining moisture... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
How close is the soft spot to the console?  If it close chances are the water intrusion is where the screw holes go into the deck securing the console.  

I have always used 3m 4000 or 4200 to seal screw holes.  If you really want to seal it good, coat each screw with the 3m 4000 and screw down.  Also, run a bead all around the console keeping water from intruding under the console.  This will give you double protection.  This should stop the water intrusion.

As far as the moisture goes, not much you can do unless you cut that section of deck out and remove the wet foam.  Just stop the intrusion to prevent further moisture.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 18, 2012, 11:25:20 AM
Reply #2

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
Thanks for the response and sorry for the belated response on my end.  Since having the boat shrink wrapped and tipped up in the front I am finding that the spot is drying out.  I plan on painting the interior in the spring and recaulking the floor while replacing and securing all the screws as well.  All of this will be prior to most likely laying down SeaDek or repainting the nonskid surfaces.  Hopefully resealing everything will stop any intrusion and allow that area to remain dry.
"King of the C\'s"

1986 250 Osprey with a 2012 E-Tec 200 HO

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

December 18, 2012, 12:03:28 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
alcohol or actually.. acetone will lower the temperature at which water evaporates.  So that can help.  For a temp fix you can try injecting thinned epoxy in the suspect areas or try a product called "git rot".   As already mentioned keeping the water out in the first place is the key.  Many a boat has been trashed improperly bedded screws or screws that had loosened with time allowing in water.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

December 18, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
Reply #4

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
jay, since it is shrink-wrapped....opening the hatches will help out with air flow/drying.

December 18, 2012, 09:27:13 PM
Reply #5

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
jay, since it is shrink-wrapped....opening the hatches will help out with air flow/drying.

On that note putting a fan in there will also help.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

December 18, 2012, 11:24:18 PM
Reply #6

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
alcohol or actually.. acetone will lower the temperature at which water evaporates.  So that can help.  For a temp fix you can try injecting thinned epoxy in the suspect areas or try a product called "git rot".   As already mentioned keeping the water out in the first place is the key.  Many a boat has been trashed improperly bedded screws or screws that had loosened with time allowing in water.

Wing makes a good point on the temporary fix. I have used "Git-Rot" on wooden boats. Says right on the bottle "Finds and fills seeps and weeps."

Couple of thoughts to consider however.

You will need to remove the wet rot, and get to dry rot...then remove/blow that dry rot gone.  Otherwise, you may as well inject a wet piece of double-bubble. The injected slug will eventually cure....but it's just a filler, no strength...with damp surrounding.

If you inject epoxy without addressing the surrounding damp substrate...only serves to allow the balance of the core to rot out faster. You've introduced into the core something solid for the wet to butt up against...accelerating/magnifying the rot.

If it is soft/wet as you describe.....don't waste the money/time/worry/questions/grief. Locate the stringers, cut out the rot, and patch with new AC fir. Glass the new piece, one layer below, three above....bond to the stringers...then the non-skid.

You'll get many years from this solid repair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal