Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: no water out of water pump indicator hole  (Read 1475 times)

October 09, 2012, 02:51:12 PM
Reply #15

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: no water out of water pump indicator hole
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
I would leave the thermostats in.  Farley and Capt John will be along to tell you why.  Just as in a car, the open passage can allow the cooling water to travel through all the jackets too quickly, not allowing the heat to be dissapated as if the t-stat was there, so the engine can run hotter without them...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 09, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
Reply #16

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "stanggt"
I am also going to remove the thermostats and clean that area up next.  The mechanic at the store (reputable) said I can remove the thermostats because they are not needed in Florida.  I was already thinking of doing this anyway as I have alway done this in my race cars and high performance street cars, especially in warm weather climates.  Any thoughts on this???

Curious.
Were all your performance vehicles 2 cycle powered?
I was (and still am) a believer that both 2 and 4 cycle engines run more efficiently and create more power when kept at an engineered temperature range. That is one reason for the thermostat(s) with the other being the ability to reach this range sooner.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 09, 2012, 08:51:11 PM
Reply #17

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
You will NOT get rated performance or fuel consumption from a motor with no thermostats.  They are designed to run at a certain temperature and will not perform running cold all the time.  The mechanic is full of chit and you can tell him I said so.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 10, 2012, 07:10:41 AM
Reply #18

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
I am also going to remove the thermostats and clean that area up next.  The mechanic at the store (reputable) said I can remove the thermostats because they are not needed in Florida.  I was already thinking of doing this anyway as I have alway done this in my race cars and high performance street cars, especially in warm weather climates.  Any thoughts on this???

Curious.
Were all your performance vehicles 2 cycle powered?
I was (and still am) a believer that both 2 and 4 cycle engines run more efficiently and create more power when kept at an engineered temperature range. That is one reason for the thermostat(s) with the other being the ability to reach this range sooner.

Of course not.  IMO, although all engines are not created equally, they do operate on the same principal.  I do understand the purpose of T'stats, but once they open (160-190 degrees) they have served their purpose.  I know by removing them from the engine it takes a bit longer to get get up to operating temps but it;s not that much longer.  From the general consensus here I will most likely leave them in though as I value all of the board members experience.

October 10, 2012, 12:35:52 PM
Reply #19

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
I do understand the purpose of T'stats, but once they open (160-190 degrees) they have served their purpose.

Nope.  Thermostats cycle the entire time you are running.  They are there to maintain operating temperature, not just to help warm up the motor when cold.  A water pressure gauge shows this.  My little 60 Yamaha, depending on rpm, will run 7-12 psi when first started then will drop to 2-4 psi when the thermostat opens (less resistance to water flow).  It will cycle back and forth the entire time, even in SW Florida's 90 deg. late summer water temperature.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 10, 2012, 01:29:31 PM
Reply #20

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Well there ya go, I learned something new. That's good info. Thanks!

October 10, 2012, 01:35:58 PM
Reply #21

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
Ok, got it all back together. I have water out theweep hole now. Unfortunately the water stream coming out the weep hole is weak. There is a kind of strong stream for the first few inches and then it is more or less drops.  I am going to assume a clog somewhere is the problem? Any ideas?

October 10, 2012, 02:11:28 PM
Reply #22

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »
Ok, got it all back together. I have water out theweep hole now. Unfortunately the water stream coming out the weep hole is weak. There is a kind of strong stream for the first few inches and then it is more or less drops.  I am going to assume a clog somewhere is the problem? Any ideas?

Describe your engine flushing muffs?  is it a dual feed or just coming in one side, are the rubber cups hard and old? Is there a good amount of water leaking away from the muffs when gripped over the pick ups? Could be your losing too much water from the muffs, or not getting enough. Those OMC motors usually put out a good stream, how does it do in the water?? Thats the real question..?
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

October 10, 2012, 02:49:23 PM
Reply #23

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
Muffs are dual sided, in good shape, not much leaks by.  Don't know about stream in water as I have not had the boat in the water yet.

October 10, 2012, 02:54:08 PM
Reply #24

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Ok just read this TIP on the web...
Remove the weep hole hose attachment from the block and put a big hose over the bigger hole you now have.  By doing this you enlarge the hole a lot and maybe flush some crap that wouldn't fit thru the the smaller hose.  I did this and I seem to had good flow through the bigger hose.  So maybe I flushed some stuff out.  Only problem is the small stock PLASTIC hose attachment broke coming out so now I need a new one so I can test the smaller hose in stock form.

October 11, 2012, 02:56:43 PM
Reply #25

stanggt

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »
test run on water today...water cooling system check satisfactory!  10-20lbs pressure under throttle.

October 11, 2012, 04:23:24 PM
Reply #26

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
:cheers:
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 11, 2012, 06:54:39 PM
Reply #27

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
You already decided to keep the thermostats.  :thumright:  If your used to automotive thermostats you cannot apply that style of thinking to an outboard.  A two stroke outboard has a open coolong system.  Unlike a car you have fresh cold water constantly flowing thru the motor.  So without the t-stats the motor will have a hard time reaching.... if ever operating temperature.  If that is the case your fuel economy will suffer and l'm sure you will have a horrible carbon build up in your motor.  I'd personally be looking for another mechanic.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal