You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: RE: '85- 170 Osprey Gas Tank Filler Hose  (Read 1212 times)

March 13, 2006, 09:00:59 AM
Read 1212 times

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
RE: '85- 170 Osprey Gas Tank Filler Hose
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
Need a little help with a project.  Has anyone replaced the gas tank filler hose on a '85 -170 or there abouts.  I may have to replace mine and it looks like it might be tough.  The hose seems to be foamed in.  Any tricks out there for this or just a description of how you went about it?  Help!

Keith

March 14, 2006, 09:02:38 PM
Reply #1

gchop

• Information Offline
Its a bitch but dooable
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »
I just did this a couple of months ago. I had the deck plate that covers the  gas tank off because I was replaceing that too. I enlarged the holes that the filler hose and vent hose go through in that compartment so I could get my hands in there for leverage to remove the hose. this helped but the hose was so dryrotted that it disinegrated every time you tried to remove it.  the biggest bitch is were it transitions from the deck to the gunnel and comes up. mine was so tite here i cut in an access panel
(deck plate) in to the boat just to help get it out. putting the new one in was no picnic either. Make sure you lube it up good , this makes it eayser to snake up to the filler neck.  be aware that this is no easy task and at times becomes a two person job.  This was the hardest thing I had to tackle in my refurbish job so far.

Sorry I should have just said it was tough

George

March 15, 2006, 09:15:19 AM
Reply #2

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »
George,

Thanks for the positive :lol: news on the gas tank replacement.  Just curious, when you pulled your old tank what did you find and where was it leaking :?: When you say "filler hose" is that the big hose that the gas is pumped into and goes to the tank :?: Thanks,
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 15, 2006, 09:31:56 AM
Reply #3

gchop

• Information Offline
tank
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »
rotted hose and broken filler neck on tank. filler hose is the large hose you fill the tank with.

March 15, 2006, 12:22:43 PM
Reply #4

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »
Gcop,

Thanks for the reply.  That will be a big help if I have to replace it.  My problem was that the hose kep trying to kink when I tried to attach it to the new tank.  I got a below the deck tank that was a composit type for about 50 bucks off ebay. It fits perfect. Only trouble was that the filler hose connected in a different place.  Believe it or not I was able to solve my kinking problem by taking a PVC 45' 2" coupling and split it in half.  I put it around the hose and used a couple of hose clamps to pull it down.  It worked, so I wont have to replace the hose but if I ever do, at least I know it can be done and how.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal