Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: even fishing isn't safe anymore  (Read 485 times)

June 24, 2011, 01:39:15 PM
Read 485 times

John Jones

• Information Offline
even fishing isn't safe anymore
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110 ... RONTPAGE|p

A fisherman on the bank of Old Hickory Lake at Walton Ferry Boat Ramp in Hendersonville, caught what police believed was a rocket propelled grenade, possibly from World War II, just before 8 p.m. Thursday.

The device that Hendersonville’s Marshall Walton fishing line hooked to was an M-22 rifle grenade, approximately 8-10 inches long according to Hendersonville Police Department assistant chief Jim Jones.

Walton reported the device to Hendersonville Police. The Metro Nashville Police Department’s Bomb Unit, FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were involved as well and secured the area and detonated the grenade just before midnight.

When the grenade was detonated, it provided a “pretty good secondary explosion that could have killed or caused injury to anyone in the immediate area,’’ Jones said.

Anyone who finds a potential explosive, even when aged, should contact authorities like Walton did.

Jones didn’t speculate on how the grenade got in the lake, but said Sumner County was an area training occurred in World War II.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 24, 2011, 05:47:52 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: even fishing isn't safe anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Ain't this a coincedence.  We received notice from the Corp of engineers that our property was part of the Brooksville, FL training site during WW2, and they have asked permission to come on the property and search for unexploded rounds of whatever...

I haven't found any yet... :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 24, 2011, 09:39:09 PM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
I would not run the garden tiller until they are done.  ;)
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 24, 2011, 09:53:20 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
I would not run the garden tiller until they are done.  ;)

JJ,
Thought it was kind of funny, we have gotten 4 or 5 letters from the corp documenting their plan of action, as well as one that described the purpose of the "range".  Seems infantry soldiers were sent here to fire at a moving target "being driven around an oval track" with 50 cal and simalar weapons...my first question to Maggie..."Who got to drive?"... :shock:  :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 25, 2011, 12:05:23 AM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
I would not tow a target for new recruits with machine guns if the cable was 1000' long.   :shock:

There are some good trout and red holes in Tampa Bay folks call the "bomb" holes because the area was a WWII bombing range.  I wonder how many duds are buried in the muck?
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal