Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: The Intracoastal What?  (Read 510 times)

April 13, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
Read 510 times

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
The Intracoastal What?
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »
One Morning at Kill Devil Hills
And Some Thoughts on EPIRBS Rentals
By Bob Adriance

Ryan Kingsbury, a surfer, was checking out the waves one morning at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina when he spotted a sailboat that seemed to be having trouble just beyond the surf line. Ryan watched as the situation quickly went from iffy to desperate; a breaking wave picked up the boat and catapulted it toward the beach.  

The sailboat had been en route from Annapolis, Maryland to Florida. The man seen in the photo, who remained steadfastly at the helm, escaped without injury. Ryan said the man’s wife had been down below and was also unharmed but was badly shaken.  

The boat’s anchor line was fouled in the prop and there may have been a problem with the sail. Ryan asked the man why he hadn’t opted to bring the boat down the Intracoastal Waterway, which is protected and much safer than the notorious currents that swirl around the Outer Banks. The man, according to Ryan, didn’t seem to know what the Intracoastal Waterway was.  

That’s not as crazy as it sounds. There have been many accounts of boats that got into trouble offshore because their skippers hadn’t done their homework. Three summers ago, a 20’ sailboat that had been en route from Key West, Florida to Newport, Rhode Island was dismasted in a squall off the coast of South Carolina. The only man aboard activated a “mini EPIRB”, an older 121 MHz model, which was no longer being monitored by the Coast Guard. For the next two weeks, the boat drifted slowly northward in the Gulf Stream until a passing cruise ship spotted it off Cape Henry, Virginia. By the time the man was rescued, he had lost 85 pounds and was badly dehydrated. The boat was abandoned (Claim #0702828).
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

April 13, 2011, 05:00:51 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: The Intracoastal What?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
No surprise.   It's sad and funny when we have a winter sea fog roll in here.  In 10 minutes the visibility can drop from great to zero.  The VHF lights up with folks that don't have a clue how to get back to the inlet when they lose visibility.  Heck, if nothing else, head east until the boat stops.  Oh, I forgot.  They can't read a compass either or it has been dry for years.

Seatow:  "Sir, can you give me your position?"
Boater: "uh, uh, out in the ocean."
Seatow:  "Do you have a GPS?"
Boater:  "uh, uh, yeah, but I don't know how to use it."
Seatow:  "Sir, Have everyone on board put on their life jackets, drop anchor, and sit tight.  Maybe the fog will lift in a little while."
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal