Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Well whats happening?????  (Read 3043 times)

December 20, 2010, 12:07:03 PM
Reply #30

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: Well whats happening?????
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
The atmosphere is 60 miles thick (316,800 feet). outside of this is another 40 miles that is considered "Orbital space" or low earth orbit. after that is outer space.

But- having not been in outer space myself, I really can't say if you can see them or not  :eye:

I believe people like to say those monuments can be seen from space to support the ET input theory.

To be fair- I think we're all in the business of losing money...  Tis the Season.

:santa:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

December 20, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
Reply #31

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
Here's some reading for all you Major Toms
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/workin ... _wall.html

They ain't satellite photos, more like Kodak in space but........

Knowing the Government, it's probably done with mirrors. :roll:

Still, there they are.
ET, you have the ball. :salut:  

So maybe Scott shouldn't quit his day job as a walking encyclopedia, though I've always thought of him as the Book of Useless Knowledge :wink:  (with my deepest apologies to Grolier Inc.) :oops:

Ain't Life Grand. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 20, 2010, 02:01:38 PM
Reply #32

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks Bob!

(I think)

:D

So.....according to your linked photos as supplied by NASA, the two pyramids whose coordinates I posted CAN be seen from space.

Sweet redemption....I'm back... :bounce:

December 20, 2010, 02:51:23 PM
Reply #33

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
the two pyramids whose coordinates I posted CAN be seen from space.

From the space station, it would appear so.
You mentioned satellites (spy I'm sure 8) ) which operate at various altitudes, both high and low earth orbits but semantics aside, it's still space of some sort.

Let's just say you've turned around and it looks like you're heading this way. :wink:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 20, 2010, 08:02:23 PM
Reply #34

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
I might be wrong but I think I see CJ standing in front of the sphinx in google earth  :shock:
Cool pix though.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 21, 2010, 12:21:27 PM
Reply #35

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Thanks Bob!

(I think)

:D

So.....according to your linked photos as supplied by NASA, the two pyramids whose coordinates I posted CAN be seen from space.

Everything we (humans) "know" is really only what someone else has told us- I could've sworn the infallible Science Channel said we actually couldn't see these monuments from space- maybe it was "outer space" they were referring to...  :scratch:

Or maybe it was the Monkeys who couldn't see the pyramids  
:tongue:

Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

December 24, 2010, 11:33:06 AM
Reply #36

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »
Talk about suburban space sprawl.
http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss ... /flash.htm

Wonder when Jerry Jones is going to build a stadium up there? :o
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 24, 2010, 01:31:34 PM
Reply #37

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
Does it have a bar? :lol:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 24, 2010, 05:08:44 PM
Reply #38

arnaldo

• Information Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »
hi saltfly - you mention you were cathing stripers on a fly rod....i only started flyfishing least year (frshwater) and i would like to start saltwater too. Can you help me with any pointers you could give to a beginer? i would be mostly be fishing in cape cod over the summer. which type of flies / rod do you use, any particular technique?  I appreciate any help - tahnks , arnaldo
2003 AQUASPORT 175 Osprey

December 28, 2010, 05:11:25 PM
Reply #39

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Welcome to saltwater fly fishing arnaldo and sorry for taking so long getting back. Been shoveling snow. Fishing  at the cape or for most saltwater fly fishing inshore. Well I would go with a 9 ft. 9 wt. rod. With what ever action you like. I prefer a Moderate action but use both Mod. and fast action rods. I use fast action rods for casting sinking lines, like a tweeny. I think they cast them, better then a Moderate action rod. Also tweeny is the standard line that most people like. But I again like the Rio dc striper line in a 300 grain on the 9 wt. Again a lot of guys go with a 350 on a 9 wt. But I don’t like to over load a rod by that much.  Also a 300 grain doesn’t tire you out as much as casting a 350 on a 9wt. If you already have a 9 wt. And use a floating line, then just buy a 300 grain sinking tip to go with it. The floating line is  good  for breaking fish or fishing shallow water. But  I think you will find up their, most will go to a sinking line first. Next a reel with a good drag, that will hold the line and 150 to 200 yards of 20 or 30 lb. backing, is all you need for stripers. But in cape cod you can also get into albies and you will then be glad you have a good drag with that much backing. Other then that, you will need just a good selection flies. Clousers and deceivers with a few smaller surf candies and some crease flies will get you all the fish you can handle. Also get some wire to tie on in between your leader and fly. Or you will be replacing flies fast. Blues like flies as well as stripers and their a ton of fun. As for Rods and reels. I really hate to recommend a particular rod or reel company. Why you ask. Well I feel there are very good Rods and Reels that don’t cost an arm and a leg but if you lessen to guys that have been fly fishing a long time. They will always tell you to buy the high end stuff and that’s the biggest bunch of bull out there. Buy from a good manufacturer and even his lower end, cost wise, equipment is very good and will last you for a life time. I’ve been fly fishing for over 50 years and taught fly fishing for a major line company for 40 years. I’ve been lucky enough to fish with or cast almost every make and model of rod and reel made today and own more then 80 rods of different makes. And you know. I still use some of the lowest cost rods made,  (while some of the high end rods, sit on my rod racks.) But they where made by good companies. So the moral of this story, is buy what you can aford and to hell with those that tell you, you should have got this or that make. But I will tell you this, CAST BEFORE YOU BUY. Then buy what casts best for you. :thumleft:  :thumright:

December 28, 2010, 05:42:11 PM
Reply #40

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
Solid advice Saltfly!  "Cast before you buy"   :salut:

My favorite 9 weight is still one I had made up from a Browning fiberglass blank - probably 20 years old, casts like a dream, and yet can handle Alaska salmon...   :fish:  

See ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

December 28, 2010, 06:19:11 PM
Reply #41

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Hey GF man there are still a lot of great glass rods out their :thumleft:  and have you seen what glass rods that are built today costs. And most are no different then the ones built 30 years ago.  You know to many people get into fly fishing, and really don’t know what is best for them. Then a friend tries to help. But what does he do. Gets his friend to buy the same rod he likes. Why, because man its cast a mile and I really like it. Yea and were do you fish. Well I fish a lot of mountain trout streams. ???????? Then why do you need a rod that casts a mile???????  The best advise I was ever given, was to cast before I buy.  Feel how a rod handles the line you will be fishing. Try a lot of different actions and makes. Then you will know what works best for you not your friend. Also cast the rod the way you will use it. Yea it looks good. Going out on a fly fishing shows casting area and casting the whole line. But is it what fly fishers do? No, most cast between 30 to 60 feet for most of their fishing in saltwater. Joe Brooks, who I was lucky enough to know. Told me. That a good guide in Florida can put you with in 40 to 60 feet of bone fish or tarpon. Yes it is true, that the farther you can make a good cast the better your short cast will be. But buy the rod that makes the cast you will make when out fishing. Not because it looked good on a fly show floor. I also believe in going to a good local fly shop. You will reap many rewards in the future from that shop, when you support it. Plus good shops will let you try rods and will give you a lot of help and you can take your time trying rods to get that one you want.

And arnaldo after you get equiped. Don't forgetthe most important thing. Have a ball. :thumleft:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal