Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Disabled people  (Read 711 times)

November 18, 2010, 12:48:17 PM
Read 711 times

motorman007

• Information Offline
Disabled people
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
Hello, I have a question I hope I can get some feedback on. while at the boat launch I have noticed if you have disablilties you cannot get into a boat if it is next to the dock, so I came up with a plan, place a person lift on the dock to be used by people that cannot get into a boat, you know like a lift harness, I believe that more people would be out there fishing and also all marinas should have access for people with disabilities, we all see busineses on land have to have access to disabled people, we can change this remember the population is getting older...

November 18, 2010, 02:06:01 PM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Disabled people
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
Interesting topic, for myself though... bring on the beating.. :eye:  With respect towards the commercial aspect, I suppose they already have accomodations for disabled persons according to federal laws.  As far as recreational boating, on my boat, if I cannot personally handle the person's disabilities to the point of not being able to help them aboard my vessel and disembark, I probably shouldn't have them out there in the first place in case an emergency arose that required urgent action.  Just my .02
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

November 18, 2010, 02:08:18 PM
Reply #2

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »
At the ramp I go to they have handicapped boat trailer parking right next to the ramp and the dock is wheelchair accessable.the lift is a good idea but do not know if it falls under the ADA rules.anything to help people enjoy the water is a great idea.
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

November 18, 2010, 02:20:55 PM
Reply #3

motorman007

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:55 PM »
Hello, reason why I ask because as I get older I will not be able to climb down into my boat from the dock where I lauch from the dock is two feet higher then the boat.

November 24, 2010, 09:53:56 AM
Reply #4

smitty 1

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
Hello guys,

Interesting topic, As an ol pirate with one leg amputated to the hip, I find myself in a position to get in and out of my 222ccp a bit trying at times. I chose the aquasport for it high gunnels and coffin box so I could get around the boat.
I look like a rabbit hoppin around it, but it works well. I have found that getting in and out of the boat for me is interesting
at best. If i am lucky enough to find a dock the right height, it easy but as said, when your dealing with tides, no tellin.

I have been playing around with the thought of putting a swinging arm rigged off of my tee top verticle post with a 12 volt electric hoist  for a atv, attached below the arm and that has a lanyard and 2 way switch to hoist me up and down. the arm can be secured to the tee top horizonal tube when not in use. Could work on a big fish as well.

By the way, most of us disabled folks do better in the water then on dry land with proper life jackets or suspenders. Me personally, put a sail on me bare naked and I could sail to a far off land. I float like the boat.

In galveston we hold a fishing tournament every spring for the disabled, and it does very well. Normallly over 100 boats.
It last from friday to sunday with prizes for biggest fish and so on, a big bar-b-que and fish fry goes on with it.

They make a 110v patient lift for swimming pools that would work great if a marina wanted to help the handicapped get in and out of the boat. That is where I got the idea of my boat lift.

Thanks for thinking about us!

Bruce

November 24, 2010, 04:25:46 PM
Reply #5

wpt03osprey

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »
Bruce,
Tell me more. I'm trying to get a friend out on my boat.

He lost his leg in a tractor accident,and had his captain's license before that.

any tips to accommodation would help
Just a Hacker

2003  Aquasport 250 Osprey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal