Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Fishing Buddy  (Read 884 times)

November 19, 2010, 04:14:53 PM
Read 884 times

motorman007

• Information Offline
Fishing Buddy
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
Hello, I guess next spring,summer I will be looking for fishing buddy to share half the cost in Galveston area, mostly bay fishing.is there a law againest this.

November 19, 2010, 05:54:39 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: Fishing Buddy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
The Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993 states that it is okay for all aboard to split all actual costs of the trip evenly (bait, ice, fuel).  If you charge a fixed amount or start calculating in boat payment, insurance, repair fund, etc. then you have to be licensed as a commercial.

You will hear lots of different opinions so I will quote from the horse's mouth.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.
Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (5)
and (6) a new paragraph (5a) to read as follows:
"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.".
DESCRIPTION - Section 507 amends 46 U.S.C. 2101 by adding a definition of the term
"consideration." Although this term was used in the prior definition of a "passenger," it was not previously defined by statute. Generally, some tangible amount of worth exchanged for carriage on a vessel such as payment, exchange of goods or a promise of performance is required. "Consideration" does not include a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of a voyage. Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes is not included as exchange of consideration.

I have a .pdf from the USCG titled "GUIDANCE ON THE PASSENGER VESSEL SAFETY ACT OF 1993"  if anyone wants it I will email it to them.  Even though this software says you can attach a file to a post it does not work.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 19, 2010, 08:43:05 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »
Thanks JJ. On one hand, we can look at this as the fed holding too much power. On the other hand, we can be thankful that there are laws in place to protect the unprotected.

Somewhere in between I reckon. Thanks.

November 19, 2010, 09:30:05 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
Quote from: "motorman007"
Hello, I guess next spring,summer I will be looking for fishing buddy to share half the cost in Galveston area, mostly bay fishing.is there a law againest this.

Hypothetical.  You work with a friend.  He lives near you.  The two of you decide to carpool, agreeing to share expenses equally.  It's done a million times a day, with no second thought given to the practice...

So, that being said, what's different about motorman's suggestion?  What, the CG?  How are they different from the local LEOs?  I mean, it sounds pretty easy to me...but then, after seeing that thread on THT about the Conn. cop charged with DUI Manslaughter and his Sargent Dad coming to the rescue...well, not much faith in the law enforcement community, if you know what I mean...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 20, 2010, 12:00:54 AM
Reply #4

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
Exactly, unfortunately, somewhere in between.

November 21, 2010, 06:41:37 PM
Reply #5

WhazzupII

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
My brother was a "Coastie" for years, and is now a Police Seargent and runs his departments marine unit. Told him about the post, and he said there should be a law against anyone going fishing and not sharing the cost, or at least helping you do some serious cleaning at the end of the trip :D

November 21, 2010, 06:43:45 PM
Reply #6

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
:lol:

That is a law on my boat.  If you don't at least offer to share and clean, you don't get invited again.  I may not take you up on it but you had better offer.  ;)
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 21, 2010, 08:59:30 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »
Law on my boat too JJ. Anyone crying ten minutes from the dock about "My wife said....bla-bla-blah...I gotta go". Not a problem....Go.  Will see you...but again on my fishing boat....not likely.

November 21, 2010, 09:25:15 PM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
I really love the ones that don't show and don't even bother to call or the ones that after you get 20 miles out say "Oh yeah, I have to be back to the dock by 1.   :ncool:
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 21, 2010, 09:46:41 PM
Reply #9

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »
Quote from: "WhazzupII"
My brother was a "Coastie" for years, and is now a Police Seargent and runs his departments marine unit. Told him about the post, and he said there should be a law against anyone going fishing and not sharing the cost, or at least helping you do some serious cleaning at the end of the trip :D

I like it.  I might write my Congressman and propose such a law.
 :study:
1997 Aquasport 225, 200hp Johnson OceanPro

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal