Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Any ifo. on this hull style would be greatly appreciated.  (Read 1050 times)

October 14, 2010, 03:50:18 PM
Read 1050 times

sharperboat

• Information Offline
Any ifo. on this hull style would be greatly appreciated.
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
First Post!!!

I found an '84  23' with twin 115's for sale, the boat looks to be in great shape. Is there any issues with this model I shoud know about? I am going bacok to look at it again, and any input you guys might have would be a great help. Performance guess' would be great too, fuel burn cruise speed etc... Price seems right too.

Many Thanks,

Scott

October 14, 2010, 04:52:00 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Any ifo. on this hull style would be greatly appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Welcome aboard SB. :salut:

That looks like a raggedy ass 222 CCP. Some members on this forum actually like them. :shock:

Never had twins on mine, instead I power with a 200hp Rude. 40 mph is very doable with the 200 so you should get better performance with the twins. Gas consumption may be less but what the hell.

From the factory, they come equipped with a space robbing transom, have a tendency to want to sink in following seas if your not careful, and IMHO look very retro cool 8) . 84 was a good year. :thumright:

They like running into a chop better than a flat sea and become a wet ride in three foot and above.

It appears that one has had some work done on it. Paint is different. Was there any rebuilding done.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 14, 2010, 09:20:06 PM
Reply #2

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
Looks like 2003/2004 BRP carb'd 115's.  I have the 90 HP 2004 model on our family pontoon, very nice engine, quiet and powerful.  At cruise around 4000 RPM I get 2.0 MPG. (Avg)
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

October 14, 2010, 09:23:18 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 14, 2010, 09:51:47 PM
Reply #4

sharperboat

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Welcome aboard SB. :salut:

That looks like a raggedy ass 222 CCP. Some members on this forum actually like them. :shock:

Never had twins on mine, instead I power with a 200hp Rude. 40 mph is very doable with the 200 so you should get better performance with the twins. Gas consumption may be less but what the hell.

From the factory, they come equipped with a space robbing transom, have a tendency to want to sink in following seas if your not careful, and IMHO look very retro cool 8) . 84 was a good year. :thumright:

They like running into a chop better than a flat sea and become a wet ride in three foot and above.

It appears that one has had some work done on it. Paint is different. Was there any rebuilding done.

It is a wide open transom, I see what your saying about sinking in a following see. Is it a self-bailing deck? I didn't pay attention when I was looking the first time.

Can you explain like a chop over a flat sea? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks for the input!

October 14, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »
Hey Sharper/Scott,

Welcome aboard! We have a buncha Scotts around here, myself included. You'd figure its not much of a common name, but around here, we seem to grow 'em....So how 'bout we call you "Sharp"?

Anyhow, welcome to our board of misfits, nar-do-wells, and cheerleaders (that's where I fit in).  :lol:

All kidding aside, there are a bunch of good thinkers here....glad you're with us.

Any question you need answered, by golly, we'll give her a try, right on down to the spitter on the whizzer.

Hope that's cool. Like your potential new ride.

Best,

"gran"

October 14, 2010, 10:32:36 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Yes, it's a self bailing deck.

If you look closely at the enclosed transom you will notice two access (round) plates on each side. These allow you to reach the thru hull drains. They were snap in covers on my CCP and can be popped out in a heavy sea via "oil canning". Loose one of those in a following sea and the bilge fills very quickly. I replaced mine with the screw in type. Also, if you have a live well back there, it's another place for water entry. Make sure everything is sealed real well in that tank.

Waves that are not very tall and occur in shallower waters (think bays) are considered chop. Created by wind (as all waves are) they are the next step up from ripples on the water. The CCP seems to perform better, IMHO, with a little wind under her hull.
As with all but the very biggest models, Aquas are a light hull and will pound when the sea kicks up but hey, they (the CCPs) were the "Contender" of their time. and still look sharp. While I feel they are better suited to the Atlantic side of Florida, a lot of members are running big distances in the Gulf.

Some members here consider the 250 CCPs as the best open water fishing vessel that Aqua built in the 80s. I tend to agree. I've enjoyed mine for 15 years.

Look it over real well and let us know what you find.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 14, 2010, 10:57:43 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Correct in that the 250's were the "Contenders" of their time. Also correct in that they were relatively light, and tended to jump.

An easy remedy is to ride out with weight forward: Bottom-fishing batteries, ice, bait, gear, etc. should be forward of the console. Most of the time, on either coast, you're riding offshore INTO the sea. Keep the hull length in the water when attacking a head-sea.

Conversely, on the ride in, keep the weight to the stern, bow-up, keeping her light on the bow, to prevent digging into a following sea.

The boat from appearance seems to be in good shape. Twins to me on this hull are plus. How do you feel about the asking price?

October 15, 2010, 10:48:15 AM
Reply #8

sharperboat

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Yes, it's a self bailing deck.

If you look closely at the enclosed transom you will notice two access (round) plates on each side. These allow you to reach the thru hull drains. They were snap in covers on my CCP and can be popped out in a heavy sea via "oil canning". Loose one of those in a following sea and the bilge fills very quickly. I replaced mine with the screw in type. Also, if you have a live well back there, it's another place for water entry. Make sure everything is sealed real well in that tank.

Waves that are not very tall and occur in shallower waters (think bays) are considered chop. Created by wind (as all waves are) they are the next step up from ripples on the water. The CCP seems to perform better, IMHO, with a little wind under her hull.
As with all but the very biggest models, Aquas are a light hull and will pound when the sea kicks up but hey, they (the CCPs) were the "Contender" of their time. and still look sharp. While I feel they are better suited to the Atlantic side of Florida, a lot of members are running big distances in the Gulf.

Some members here consider the 250 CCPs as the best open water fishing vessel that Aqua built in the 80s. I tend to agree. I've enjoyed mine for 15 years.

Look it over real well and let us know what you find.

Thanks for the details!! I am running a small CC now, a wellcraft 180 fisherman, we use it quite a bit, nearshore fishing, cruising, etc.... and keep it in the water at our local yacht club. As my 2 sons get bigger our little boat is getting smaller and this Aquasport seems alot bigger than what weve got now, and the price seems right, and I think it could be had for less than the what they are asking. I like the idea of the small twin motor setup, as we are starting to venture farther offshore latley.

Thanks again for all the input,

Scott

October 15, 2010, 11:00:10 AM
Reply #9

sharperboat

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Correct in that the 250's were the "Contenders" of their time. Also correct in that they were relatively light, and tended to jump.

An easy remedy is to ride out with weight forward: Bottom-fishing batteries, ice, bait, gear, etc. should be forward of the console. Most of the time, on either coast, you're riding offshore INTO the sea. Keep the hull length in the water when attacking a head-sea.

Conversely, on the ride in, keep the weight to the stern, bow-up, keeping her light on the bow, to prevent digging into a following sea.

The boat from appearance seems to be in good shape. Twins to me on this hull are plus. How do you feel about the asking price?

Seems like a decent starting price for a boat that's seems to be in good shape, good motors and an almost new trailer. Wht are your thoughts?

October 15, 2010, 11:42:20 AM
Reply #10

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
Looks good to me....real clean from the photos....how far away is it from you?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal