Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: more gas tank questions 17 osprey  (Read 1642 times)

November 28, 2005, 10:12:16 PM
Read 1642 times

gchop

• Information Offline
more gas tank questions 17 osprey
« on: November 28, 2005, 10:12:16 PM »
I am new to the site so if this has been adressed already I apologize for wasting everybodys time. I am installing a new aluminum 27 gal gas tank in my 17 osprey. the original had foam stuck to it under were the stainless straps held it in place. This foam held water against the tank which contributed to its demise.  anybody have any suggestions on securing this tank correctly. Other than the foam tape that wrapped around the tank on the bottom it seemed to sit directly on the fiberglass tub trapping any moisture underneath the tank.

Thanks, George

November 29, 2005, 04:24:29 PM
Reply #1

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:24:29 PM »
George, I would not fill that space with foam again.  Just install the tank in the tub and secure in place with stainless steel straps.  I installed my new tank over two long strips of starboard to avoid trapped moisture underneath. Just make sure your tank is shallow enough to allow you to do this without then having the deck supported by the top of the tank.  That´s a big no-no.
Out 170 family is growing each day.  Please post some pics.
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

November 30, 2005, 09:45:44 AM
Reply #2

gchop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Did you run the plastic strips longway's or inline with the straps?  I have a thruhull fitting on the right front bow side of the boat. Is this an additional bilge pump line?  I thout it was part of the console livewell system but that appears to be only an airator. When I figure out how to post picures of my mess I will

Thanks,  George

November 30, 2005, 10:22:25 AM
Reply #3

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:22:25 AM »
I ran the strips longways.  Two at each side, directly under the walls of the tank and one in the center for additional support when the tank is full.  The bottom of the tank is pretty flexible and should be properly supported.
If you have the same boat as me (1985 osprey 170), the thru hull you are refering to is the drain for the center compartment of the bow.  This compartment should have a drain.  Just fill with water and see of it comes out of the thru hull.......
Miguel
[/url]

November 30, 2005, 11:09:11 AM
Reply #4

gchop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 11:09:11 AM »
That makes sense. I will try that when I get the console off the front deck. this is a 1987 but I would imagine it being the same. I am considering turning the front console into a real livewell with a pump and drain and get rid of the airator while I have the CC off. The new models show this set up in the brochures. Any thoughts?

George

November 30, 2005, 01:48:08 PM
Reply #5

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:48:08 PM »
The space in the front of the console in my boat was not originally a livewell, only a storage space.  I converted it to a recirculating livewell by rigging a Rule 500gph pump and a bottom drain to empty it.  I had some thoughts about turning it into a "real" livewell also.  For my purposes, the recirculator is OK, but I think I´ll eventually turn it into a real livewell.  If you do it first, let me know how it turned out and make sure to take lots of pictures.
I guess the real problem with the livewell is the fact that it will need a supply of fresh water and a large drain, therefore requiring holes in the hull.  I rigged a setup in which i have a PVC pipe epoxied to the transom and sticking out below the hull.  When the boat runs, a lot of water comes in and that way I´m able to change the water from time to time without the need of using a bucket.......I just let it overflow on the floor of the boat and out the scuppers it goes.  When I´m fishing or slow speed trolling, i use the recirculator.  
There are other 17 owners on this forum.  Maybe they have other ideas.....  
Another problem is the fact that this space is not very large.  As the drain needs to be large, and should be installed above the waterline as an overflow, you may end up with only about 13 gallon usable capacity.  Depending on your catch (or bait) this may not be very good.......
Only my 2 cents worth.... I would really like to hear your ideas.....
Miguel
[/url]

November 30, 2005, 01:51:49 PM
Reply #6

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:51:49 PM »
The space in the front of the console in my boat was not originally a livewell, only a storage space.  I converted it to a recirculating livewell by rigging a Rule 500gph pump and a bottom drain to empty it.  I had some thoughts about turning it into a "real" livewell also.  For my purposes, the recirculator is OK, but I think I´ll eventually turn it into a real livewell.  If you do it first, let me know how it turned out and make sure to take lots of pictures.
I guess the real problem with the livewell is the fact that it will need a supply of fresh water and a large drain, therefore requiring holes in the hull.    
Also, you really need to make sure all your below waterline thru hulls are provided with an accesible seacock and good quality double clamped hoses.  Your safety may depend on it.
Another problem is the fact that this space is not very large.  As the drain needs to be large, and should be installed above the waterline as an overflow, you may end up with only about 13 gallon usable capacity.  Depending on your catch (or bait) this may not be very good.......
I rigged a setup in which i have a PVC pipe epoxied to the transom and sticking out below the hull.  When the boat runs, a lot of water comes in and that way I´m able to change the water from time to time without the need of using a bucket.......I just let it overflow on the floor of the boat and out the scuppers it goes.  When I´m fishing or slow speed trolling, i use the recirculator.
Only my 2 cents worth.... I would really like to hear your ideas.....
There are other 17 owners on this forum.  Maybe they have other ideas.....
Miguel
[/url]

April 09, 2006, 01:52:53 PM
Reply #7

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 01:52:53 PM »
Well folks, add me to the gang of fuel tank funeral arrangements.  I have not pulled it yet but the bilge is leaking gas like a kitchen faucet.  Doesn't appear to be from the filler neck or hose.  My 170 is a 1988 model.  I want to go ahead and order the tank before I pull the bad on so I can complete all of this in a day.  Could you tell me the measurements for the tank and where would be a good place for me to order one :?:  Thanks,
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

April 09, 2006, 08:27:27 PM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »
Can't help on the dimensions but everyone installing an aluminum fuel tank should read this.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal