You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: The Local Super-Oyster, Part II  (Read 700 times)

March 03, 2010, 07:55:14 PM
Read 700 times

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
The Local Super-Oyster, Part II
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
Got back into town this past weekend, and needed my oyster fix. Lately I've been buying Pamlicos (NC). They have been huge and flavorful, big white meat, no green gills, perfect.

Cooked up a dozen as an appetizer Sunday night; good and fresh, but REAL bland, no flavor, not salty. Actually, they sucked. Then it hit me: the term Pamlico could mean anywhere within the Pamlico River basin, anywhere the oyster monitoring can pass the coliform bacteria test. So, had to surmise that THESE jumbos were not from the Pamlico Sound,  (probably the ones I was used to)  but from the Pamlico River. freshwater to brackish origin at best.

I had only bought a peck, but I'm a tight-wad, and as a kid would get my be-hind whipped for wasting food. So I loaded up what was left, took them down to the boat lift on Monday morning. Put them in two doubled-up onion bags, tied 'em tight, cleated 'em off, and dumped them in deep water.

Retrieved them tonight. Because they had been washed, the mud was off, which acts as an insulator. Some of them were open (dead). But not many. Threw the open ones away.

Steamed them up, BIG difference, definitely worth the slight effort. Some of the muscles were sticking to the shell, (OLD), but still tasty. Get in the habit of taking a whiff (and tell the girls too) of ANY oyster. We don't gather them ourselves, we don't know. Been many a day oystermen will trade out partial bushels with their fellows, no clue to when they were harvested.

This open-shell thing can be deceiving. I've seen folks throw away 50 dollars worth of oysters just because the shells were peeking open. Half the time, its because the put a bag or two of ice on top of the bushel, shocking them. Keep the temperature transition smooth. And check the harvest tag date on the bushel bags.

And although I'm cheap, I tip my oyster monger. He rewards me by cherry-picking my stuff, and giving me extra numbers. Worth 5 bucks every 2 weeks.... my name is Scott, and I'm an Oysterholic.

In summary, give this a whirl, unwashed best. I didn't invent it, it was shown to me....and works. Don't be afraid to try it, and dazzle your friends. "Where did you get them?" they'll gush. "Up Hushmouth Creek" you reply.... :?

Ya'll try this, and give some feedback. Tx.

March 03, 2010, 11:18:29 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: The Local Super-Oyster, Part II
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »

Man are you going to owe me the next time I get up that way...  ;)
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

March 09, 2010, 07:43:04 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: The Local Super-Oyster, Part II
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
Bro - you're making me sweat hungry!  :tongue:  

Let's see, about time for a trip to Wilmington!     :roll:
Cap'n John