Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Poliglow?  (Read 1457 times)

May 01, 2009, 11:49:39 PM
Read 1457 times

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Poliglow?
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »
Has anyone tried poliglow?   http://www.poliglow-int.com/  If so what were the results? good? bad? Would you use it again?

I know it's only a temporary fix but it sure sounds like a lot less work than sanding and buffing old tired gel coat.

Bruce
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

May 04, 2009, 10:28:57 AM
Reply #1

wingtime

• Information Offline
Re: Poliglow?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
8)   Anyone ?

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

May 04, 2009, 12:21:13 PM
Reply #2

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
Doesn't it just make you mad when no one posts back. I think everybody was out fishing this weekend! I don't know about this product but if he owner is willing to go on the web and promote his stuff then either its a scam or its some good material! Everytime I have tried to use something like it it shows marks from uneven application. I would probably buff off oxidation then apply it. The only reason to buff is to even out the finish, but once done if this stuff works then just maintain it from then on. If you try it please post back so everybody will know. They also have a aluminum protectorant that looks intresting.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

May 04, 2009, 08:07:21 PM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »
I didn't respond because I never used the stuff.  :silent:
I did however use something known as Star brite Fiberglass Color Restorer and Sealer. (went out into the garage and found the old bottle)
Same idea I guess and it did just what you said.
Manufacture date 2/17/93 (on my birthday no less)
Contains petroleum distillates, no smokin' when usin' and call the doc if you drink the stuff.
Sound like polyglo?  :scratch:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 04, 2009, 09:38:57 PM
Reply #4

flkeysaqua

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
I don't know personally I would do it the right way.  Buff the boat with rubbing then polishing compound.  With a good buffer and pad it should only take an hour or two with waxing afterwards.  Like slvrlng  said the product he used made it look streaky and what the host said it fills the surface with "a tiny layer of plastic" If you buff the boat yes it more time and labor consuming but if you keep up with waxing it you wont have to do it again for many years whereas poly glo I'm guessing twice a year atleast down here in the keys once a month.

But I have never used the product just felt like voicing my opinion. :thumleft:
73 19-6 w/140 Evinrude

May 04, 2009, 11:17:42 PM
Reply #5

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
Well, I just hauled home my "new" 81 200 XF walk around and I have a grin from ear to ear.   I received two complements at the ramp while I was strapping her down to the trailer.  One guy who was playing a softball game walks over to the fence and yells to me "Is that an old Aquasport"  I replied "yup".  "Sweet" was the reply.  I think I'm gonna like this boat.

Back to the Poliglow.  I've done the wet sanding and buffing thing on two other boats.  The gelcoat looks a tad thin in a few places on this 81 so one can only sand and buff so much.  After watching the poliglow on Ship Shape TV I figured I'd give it a try.  One point I noticed about it is that it can be removed with a cleaner they have.  Also I think the streaks are more of not applying enough coats.  I was hoping someone on here has used it.  Capt. Bob I saw that same Star Brite fiberglass restorer at boaters world yesterday.  I think I will give it a try on one section of the hull and report back.  But first I'm going to mount my motor on the 200XF and get her wet first!

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

May 29, 2009, 02:45:45 PM
Reply #6

jflots

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
I realize I'm a little late on this one but I have used the stuff.  A friend of mine is related to the owner.  It's like an acrylic floor coating used in commercial applications like grocery stores.  It goes on easy with the sponge applicator on large open areas but can get tedious using the small applicator/rag arround corners and hardware.  It does make very shiny surface and looks good when fresh.  If I remember right it lasted a year or so in the sun and much longer in places like under a bow flare in the shade.  As far as using it again, I don't know.  I have a hard time with maintenance as it is.  When I used it before, the Hiliner was new to us and needed a quick sprucing up, for that it worked great.

Good luck.

May 29, 2009, 11:31:37 PM
Reply #7

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
jflots,  Thanks for the input.  Sounds like it can't hurt to give it a try.  A friend of mine's son details boats and he offered to buff her up for me. So I'll see how that goes.  Detailing is a little far down the list now anyways.  I have the motor hung and all the wiring sorted out.  I'm planning on opening up the "coffin" and pulling out the fuel tank to see whats going on in there tomorrow.

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

October 02, 2009, 07:28:24 AM
Reply #8

seadog1956

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
I used poly glow on a 21' Neptune last year and was quite impressed. Did a lot of on line reserach before using it. Biggest complaint was that after a few year guys had to strip it off and do it again,the company sells the stripper/cleaner which you have to use before you put poly on the first time. Did'nt seem like a very big problem to me. Requires several coats and has to be applied thin or you get bubbles,which you will get till you get used to using it. Not a ploblem just apply cleaner to bubbled section and do it again. Easy to use, no strain putting it on. A bit time consumming because you do not want to rush application and several coats are requied. I did 7 coats and was very impressed with the finish. Got lots of complements from people who saw it. My opinion for what its worth is thumbs up and i feel it was well worth to price,time and effort.

October 02, 2009, 03:54:39 PM
Reply #9

wingtime

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Seadog,   Thanks for the input.  That was just what I was looking for someone who used the product as intended and didn't expect anything more from it.

Since my original post a friend of mine and his son came and buffed and waxed the hull of my boat for me.  I must say it came out MUCH better than I thought it would have.  There are a few thin spots on the "caps" but overall for 28 year old gel coat I'm happy.  The inside of the walk around areas, cockpit and cabin will be dificult to polish.  I'm thinking of giving poliglow a try here.

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal