Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Bottom Paint Question + Pictures  (Read 894 times)

July 09, 2009, 12:28:35 PM
Read 894 times

thill

• Information Offline
Bottom Paint Question + Pictures
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
I finally got around to bottom painting my 170.  I was happy to discover the existing bottom paint was thin, and not covering up any horrible stuff.

But while I was doing it, I got annoyed with the scratched-up stripe that's just above the waterline, so I just painted up an over it.  It's amazing how much newer the boat looks!

But now I'm wondering if the boat doesn't look a bit funny with the bottom paint going so high above the waterline.  What do you think?   Do you think I should:
1. Use oven cleaner to remove the offending area and re-stripe?
2. Use oven cleaner to remove the offending area and go with no stripe
3. Or just leave it?  

Does anyone know if that stripe is a factory item, or just something added later?

Here are the before and after pictures.  BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks again for this great forum.

-TH
-TH

July 09, 2009, 01:19:00 PM
Reply #1

love2fish

• Information Offline
Re: Bottom Paint Question + Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
it looks fine on the trailer. do you have any pics of it in the water so we can see exactly how far out of the water the bottom paint is? Also, "Oven cleaner"? how effective is that at removing bottom paint?
Chris
\'74 22-2
Member #921

July 09, 2009, 03:52:34 PM
Reply #2

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
I, personally, think it looks great.  It's a vast improvement over what it used to look like!  Plus, as mentioned above, once your boat is in the water, you'll probably only see a little bit of that paint above the waterline.

Although...

As far as my understanding goes, supposedly if you have bottom paint above the waterline, the water that splashes on it could create little "flow lines" in the paint.  My thoughts to that are:  so what.  Once it's wet, it all looks like one shiny color anyway, and if it really bothers you, take 5 minutes and touch it up.  That's the beauty of bottom paint.  I painted the entire hull from the chime down bow to stern on my 19-6, and I haven't had that problem so far.

Looks great!
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

July 09, 2009, 07:26:15 PM
Reply #3

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:26:15 PM »
Badonquasport196,
Thanks!  I think so, too.  It's kind of amazing how a touch of bottom paint makes it look so different.

There will be about 1-1/2" exposed all the way around, but I'm leaning towards your thinking, which seems reasonable.  But I'm wondering what these "flow lines" are going to look like?  I guess I'll have to keep watch and document what happens.

Love2fish,
The paint was almost perfect with the waterline, so it will be about 1-1/2" high, now.

Oh yes... Easy-Off oven cleaner works GREAT for getting bottom paint off!  Spray it on during a warm day or evening, let it set for a while, then take a plastic scraper and scrape off the bubbling mess.  Reapply for tough or very thick spots.

The GREAT thing about it, is it doesn't harm your gelcoat at all, and if you bottom painted over shiny hull, all you have to do is wash and wax!   I got this tip from a waterman, and I've helped out numerous people with that advice, and I've gotten many HUGE thanks from them!  I know some guys that bottom paint for a month or two of fishing, then remove and wax their boat for the rest of the year.

Thanks for the replies!

-TH
-TH

July 10, 2009, 09:51:39 AM
Reply #4

love2fish

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
great! I appreciate it and will have to give it a try!
Chris
\'74 22-2
Member #921

July 10, 2009, 09:33:02 PM
Reply #5

striper 17

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Nice looking boat you have there I think the new paint looks just fine. I also have a 17ft and was wondering about your trim tabs I see in your picture above are those the smart tabs that are automatic with no electric or hydrolic pump? If they are how well do they work and do you like them? Im trying to decide what to use for my boat Thanks. :idea:

1987 170 Aquasport

July 10, 2009, 10:40:30 PM
Reply #6

thill

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »
Love2Fish,
Make sure to use a plastic scraper to protect your gelcoat, and keep it off your trailer.  Also, Easy-Off seems to work better than the store brands, but they both will work.  Let us know how it works for you.

Striper17,
Yes, they are Smart Tabs.   I fish the Chesapeake, where it's often rough, and I needed something besides a person to keep the bow down.  I was skeptical at first, but found a pair of stainless ones cheap on Ebay.  I'm VERY glad I did!   They really smooth out the ride.

I had to back them off a little at first, because the ride was a bit wet in big seas.  The bow was slicing a little too deep.  But once I backed them off a little, it rides great.  

So in summary, I recommend these tabs for this particular boat.  But that being said, I just LIKE Bennetts.

-TH
-TH

July 15, 2009, 05:50:33 PM
Reply #7

Hawg Hunter

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
She looks sexy  :salut:
Capt, Richard "DUKE" Bowen
Conyers Ga

1988 290 Aquasport XF