Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Not sure where to start...  (Read 950 times)

January 05, 2009, 12:36:45 PM
Read 950 times

MTS

• Information Offline
Not sure where to start...
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »
First off, thank you for this forum, over the past few days I have learned a lot.  Here's the story.  My grandfather bought in 1969.  It was a new 1969 Aquasport 175 (at least my dad says he thinks it’s a 175).   They used it for years.  In 1988 they put on an Evinrude 100.  As a child I remember bass fishing in it and fishing Pine Island.  Anyway my dad took a new job and could not take the boat with him.  The boat was subsequently lent on a long term basis to a friend of the family who used it for a little while and then left it in a barn.  I think the last time it was in the water was the late 90's.  Recently (over Christmas break)I saw the boat and it broke my heart.  I spent so much time with my dad and grandpa on it and had so many memories from it including a senior trip in which the three of us spent a week fishing for reds, and my first father son beer which happened after catching, reviving and releasing a beautiful tarpon.  Anyway I let it be known that I wanted to buy/have the boat back and to make a long story short it is now in my garage.  It is almost like a family member that has come home.
   Now I know this boat needs a lot of work, but I live in Iowa so some work which is predicated by temperature (such as painting and some fiberglass work is simply not possible).  So my questions are simply about where to start.  Is there an order in how you would do things so that in the spring I will be ready to tackle the bulk of this job?  Acquiring the boat left me extremely excited, but a look at the amount of work it needs has made me realize that I have taken on a pretty big job... What should I look for, what would you do?   Thanks in advance for any advice.   And thanks for reading my story... I have never done anything like this before but I am determined to learn and to try.  Paying someone else to do the work just doesn’t seem right, after all this boat feels a lot like family. Also I have a two year son and in the near future I want some fun father son memories to come from the bow of this boat just like I had.
  Thanks and cheers
       Mitch

January 05, 2009, 02:24:53 PM
Reply #1

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: Not sure where to start...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
Good to hear you're planning on getting her back in the water.  

What seems to be the problem?  Is it mostly cosmetic?  Soft floors?  Cracks?  What shape is the transom in?  Have you put it in the water yet?  If it sits low, it could be a sign of wet/saturated foam under the floors/in the stringers.  If you run the boat, and the bow twists in chop/swells, it could be a sign of the stringers needing to be replaced...?

If you can, take some pics of the problem areas...  If it's mostly cosmetic issues, there may not be much work that you HAVE to do to make it seaworthy...
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

January 05, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
Reply #2

Marcq

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
Hi Mitch and welcome, I'm pretty sure your boat is a 170, don't think they made that model (175)in those years. First thing I would do is clean her up, then test the floor for soft spot, check the transom by tilting the engine up and climb on the lower unit to see if there's any flex in the  transom , don't be shy about it, like jump on it and finally post some pictures :)

Oh, don't forget to look for the brochures in the photo gallery(170) for that year model, I really like the custom model with the single helm seat  :cheers:  

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

January 07, 2009, 10:46:46 AM
Reply #3

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi Mitch,
I agree with Marc. Clean her up first. See what bothers you most. I feel tramsoms are very important due to the stress they are under. A cracked or soft transom should be a priority to fix being that will only get worse really fast under use. A soft floor... thats debatable. I have a soft floor under my coffin on my 1978 200 ccp. I could care less. I will worry about it when I put my foot through it. My boat was a mess when I got it. It took me 6 weeks of obsessive labor before I would put her in the water. I did the obvious... bad wires, cracks, broken hinges/supports, bottom paint...etc. I sealed her up tight and went out and had some fun. Of course I would love for her to look like she rolled out of Florida in 78', but thats not financially possible for me. Plus, she works great as is. I just want to fish. Its a personal decision how far someone wants to go with a restoration being the cost will far exceed the resale value. I went with safety and functionality first, cosmetics last, and unnecessary overhauls postponed until they become necessary.
1979 246 CCP project boat forever in development, Chesapeake Bay Virginia
Steven Koz<a href=\"mailto:Captainkoz@aol.com\"
[img]http://i457.photobuc

January 07, 2009, 08:05:16 PM
Reply #4

MTS

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the help so far guys.  I have started the clean up.  And I will post pictures this weekend.  On a good note the transom seems okay.  I jumped on it and it was stiff.  I think it has been replaced once and it seemed to have been sealed up pretty well.  I was also surprised to find after I charged a battery the power tilt worked just fine.
 cheers
    Mitch

January 08, 2009, 06:04:22 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:04:22 PM »
Welcome aboard MTS  :!:  :!:   Adding another member to our HUGE 170 family  8)
Keep us in the loop and we can help you every step of the way.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 11, 2009, 09:36:26 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
Quote from: "RickK"
Welcome aboard MTS  :!:  :!:   Adding another member to our HUGE 170 family  8)

Ya,
If your heads get any bigger, you won't be able to fit them under your Bimini :roll:

Oh and welcome aboard from the more even headed (though small) collection of sophisticated CCP owners 8)
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

January 14, 2009, 09:42:41 AM
Reply #7

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Quote from: "RickK"
Welcome aboard MTS :!: :!: Adding another member to our HUGE 170 family 8)

Ya,
If your heads get any bigger, you won't be able to fit them under your Bimini :roll:

Oh and welcome aboard from the more even headed (though small) collection of sophisticated CCP owners 8)

Funny Stuff!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal