Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Newbie here - Just bought a 1999 245 Explorer with Ficht 225  (Read 1075 times)

February 14, 2007, 08:11:38 PM
Read 1075 times

Irish Rover

• Information Offline
Newbie here - Just bought a 1999 245 Explorer with Ficht 225
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »
Wanted start off by saying hello.  Read a lot of the different discusions on the board and boy am I glad I found you all.  I just purchased a 1999 245 Explorer WA.  The boat will be kept in Toms River, NJ.

New to power boating,  I had a 41' Morgan outislander sail for many years that I picked up as a salvage hull from hurricane Andrew.  Refloated and replaced everything, engine, mast the works.  Have done some extensive sailing in Bahamas and throughout the northeast.

I don't know a thing about power boats.  I wanted something I could fish from and do some tubing with my children.

My dad without hesitation said by a Aquasport.  He has one sitting in the field at his house that is in poor shape but the glass is still solid. 1973 C/C 19'6" I believe with a blown I/O Merc.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect out of the boat on the open ocean,  what size waves she can handle, and how the boat handles in general.  

Fuel consumption with the 225 ficht and how good this engine is, has the new kit.  Engine has 142 hours on it, hook it up to the laptop.  Boat has never been ridden hard based on the RPM gauge that I saw on the laptop.

Does anyone know how the fuel tank is istalled, foam?  I hope not.

What is the smallest kicker I can get away with installing for trolling?

What types of things to look for problem why's?

Does anyone ever leave there boat in the water in the winter with the ice as long as the engine is up?

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Hogan
new owner of 1999 245 Explorer 11/06
Previous boat 41\' Morgan O/I sailboat

February 14, 2007, 09:37:14 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
Welcome Justin!  Great to have a fellow ragbagger on the site...

Your dad's advice was sound.  Appears you're a hands-on type what with salvaging the Morgan and re-fitting her back into commission.  Small powerboats aren't all that much different to keep in shape.  All that's needed is a willingness and ability to keep up on the maintenance and not overlook the small problems which can mushroom into big ones.

A lot of what your boat can handle depends on your sea experience and ability to judge when too much is too much, for both yourself and the others aboard.  Waves the boat can handle are dependent on how you operate the boat.  Ripping along at 30 knots in a 4' sea probably won't hurt the boat but you'll likely come away from the experience with bleeding kidneys and a few passengers who won't want to make another trip with you.  Common sense, just like on the Morgan, is the word to live by.

Aquasports are well designed.  In a well-found boat, most problems I've heard about were not hull failures but engine or mechanical.  If the hull's in good shape probably most of your efforts will and should be spent keeping the mechanical & electrical systems in shape.  Again, just like the Morgan.  The engine has low hours on it but it's still an unknown.  If I were in your shoes I'd have a factory tech. go over it and give it his blessing.  While the engine's being gone over, buy a factory service manual.  In it will be all the maintenance points which will have to be attended to to keep it in good shape, many of which you can do yourself.

Concerning a kicker, don't go any smaller than  25 HP.  Keep in mind the real value of that kicker will be in getting you home if the main engine dies.  That being said, the further out you go offshore, the bigger the kicker should be.  Bucking a headwind you'll want all the power you can hang on the stern keeping in mind also the weight you are adding back there.

You ask about the fuel tank.  Do you suspect a problem?

Not a good idea to leave the boat in the water unless you bubble it or have water agitation of some kind around it.  Ice will chew the he!! out of the gelcoat and, if she gets locked in hard, will put considerable compression stress on the hull.  Leaving a boat like yours in the water over the winter is a not good policy.

Please post some pictures of the new boat and some of your dad's 19-6 I/O too.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

February 15, 2007, 06:27:24 AM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:27:24 AM »
Welcome Aboard Justin!!  
I think the boat you bought will be a great, safe, all-around comfortable boat. I'm happy so far with my Explorer - just wish I could take her out more. :(
It'll draw probably 3 ft so be careful there, she's not a skinny water boat.
Your boat is a stable one so you should feel secure in deep, rough seas.
I guess the one thing that stands out in my mind is now you won't have the right of way anymore :wink:
If you have some, post some pix in the gallery.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 15, 2007, 07:43:34 AM
Reply #3

Irish Rover

• Information Offline
Feedback
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:34 AM »
Thank you Jim and Rick for your advice.  

I believe the fuel tank is in good working shape.  I looked the boat up and down and did not smell fuel anywhere.  I was able to take one test run before I purchased the boat and I do not have any pictures yet.  I will get some on the board as soon as I get some.

Is there a mounting bracket that either of you or anyone else knows of for a kicker that can handle the weight of a 25hp that is designed for platform mounting instead of transome mounting?

Thanks again,

Justin
new owner of 1999 245 Explorer 11/06
Previous boat 41\' Morgan O/I sailboat

February 15, 2007, 08:05:16 AM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:05:16 AM »
I know I should get a kicker too but am recovering from all the damage so far  :wink:  Just got the last of the screens made for the boat yesterday.
Your boat layout at the transom is probably different than mine.  I hadn't thought of anything but transom mount - I'll be watching what you come up with.
BTW, your Dad has good taste. :D
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal