Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Hello Everyone !...I am new to the forum...  (Read 1096 times)

March 08, 2007, 09:31:12 AM
Read 1096 times

RebelYell

• Information Offline
Hello Everyone !...I am new to the forum...
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
Nice Forum !

I would like to introduce myself if I may.

My name is Carl and I live in Winter Haven, FL.

Anyhow, I just bought a 1990 Osprey 200 CC w/ Mariner 150HP. All original and from original owner. This boat has been lovingly ridden hard and put up well. Always rinsed and trailered. Saw the first 17 years of it's life in Pompano, Miami, etc and will now live here with me in the Tampa Bay area.

I love these boats. I always wanted an Aquasport or a Mako and I finally have my baby  :)

Like I said, she's a little worn but has NO structural problems. Transom is hard as concrete with no cracks. Some light spider cracking on the top of the gunnels but nothing anywhere on the boat that looks like impact cracking. Hull is smooth, hard and dry with no cracks anywhere. No soft spots in floor; but some expected, very thin spider cracking along sides. All gelcoat cracks....nothing structural of soft. Sounded floor with a broomstick and it sounds hard all around. Found one small soft spot over the entire boat; a kidney-bean sized place about 2 feet forward of the transom on the outside starboard gunnel cap....not a big deal.

Anyhow, right now I have a mechanic going over the motor and the tilt and trim unit..

Questions:

1) Is this a "collectible" Aquasport ? I think it is a pre-Genmar boat ( Genmar bought them out in 1993 ).

2) Does this boat have foam-filled stringers ?

3) Is this boat a cored hull ? It seems like it could be cored above the waterline...but I'll tell you she's like a rock below the waterline.

4) Do you guys know where I can get schematics for this boat ?

5) What is the best T-Top for me to install ? I want to know exactly where I should drill holes for this boat and want a proper fit.

6) Is there anyplace that I can get new/used marine fittings for this boat ?...stuff like the badge that goes on the side of the console, anchor hatch latch, etc.

Anyhow, I hope to send you guys some pics of my new baby. I absolutely love this boat..

I appreciate any and all help and suggestions as I hope to restore this great boat.

Thanks !!!!  :)

March 08, 2007, 09:56:43 AM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
Welcome to the madness Carl!

Nice boat and good to hear the all-important transom is solid.  As you've likely read here, a transom's popular place for rot to set in.

1.  Classic?  Not like an old wood Chris Craft, but AS's are gaining a considerable following possibly because Genmar killed it off.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4.  Ask around, somebody here may have one.

5.  Dunno.  Never had a T-top.

6. Ebay has a surprising amount of hardware and badges available on a continuing basis.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

March 08, 2007, 03:21:27 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Welcome
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:21:27 PM »
Welcome to the site!  

Here is some feedback:

Questions:

1) Is this a "collectible" Aquasport ? I think it is a pre-Genmar boat ( Genmar bought them out in 1993 ).   See Jim's comment - Old Aquasports have a great reputation, as you know.

2) Does this boat have foam-filled stringers ?   Yes.  

3) Is this boat a cored hull ? It seems like it could be cored above the waterline...but I'll tell you she's like a rock below the waterline.  Not a cored hull.  

4) Do you guys know where I can get schematics for this boat ?   Not sure they were ever published.  However, wiring is pretty straightforward.  There are some other posts on this site that give the color codes for wiring used by Aquasport.  

5) What is the best T-Top for me to install ? I want to know exactly where I should drill holes for this boat and want a proper fit.  T-tops are a matter of preference - some like a canvas top, some prefer a hard top, some like something like the Bimi-Tee that is removeable.  Best thing is to go to a dealer/shop/boat show and see what you like.  Every t-top has a different mounting, so you would not want to drill the holes until you are fitting the top.

6) Is there anyplace that I can get new/used marine fittings for this boat ?...stuff like the badge that goes on the side of the console, anchor hatch latch, etc.   Again, eBay is a good choice.  Most hardware, including the hatch latch is a standard (Perko - I think) item you can get at a good marine supplier.  Take it off, take in into the store, and match it up.  In other words, snatch the hatch latch and go to the store to catch the latch that matches the hatch.   :roll:

Welcome again and see ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

March 08, 2007, 05:17:17 PM
Reply #3

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
I always thought that Genmar started building them in 88.  My boat is an 87 and the inspection plate says Hialeah, FL on it.

March 08, 2007, 07:53:07 PM
Reply #4

RebelYell

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »
Quote from: "scott_gunn"
I always thought that Genmar started building them in 88.  My boat is an 87 and the inspection plate says Hialeah, FL on it.

I thought that Genmar took over in '88 as well.......at least thats' what I read.......I also read somewhere that the acquisition of Aquasport by Genmar was "acrimonious" and there were bad feelings about some issues with production schedule, quality, etc.

But... I did a check on Genmar Holdings and here's what I found about the acquisition:

Genmar's sales suffered as dealers began to shrink their inventories. Jacobs refrained from pressuring dealers to buy, since a smaller inventory put the dealers in a good position to eventually take over business from competitors that went under. In the short-term, however, Genmar had to close two plants. Its workforce declined to 2,900 from a maximum of 5,500 in 1988. The company's main competitors, Brunswick and Outboard Marine, were likewise having to trim their operations. During the rough years of the recession, Jacobs showed his faith in Genmar by turning over some of the profit from his personal dealings to the parent company Minstar.

By 1993 Minstar's boat-building operations had lost over $100 million and the company had been forced to restructure its debt twice. Adding to the debt, Aquasport Marine Industries was acquired. The company was known for fiberglass fishing boats with such innovations as a center console and a walkaround cubby cabin design. The boats ranged in size from 16 to 27 feet

http://www.answers.com/topic/genmar-holdings-inc

I am interested in the history as are most of you. I love these old CC Fisherman style boats...and Aquasport is my sentimental favorite.

I'll send you guys some pics of my craft soon.

Those Wiring color codes would be cool to find !!  :wink:

March 08, 2007, 08:53:12 PM
Reply #5

Bill

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:53:12 PM »
I bought my '88 AS in 1999 and very soon thereafter called the    Genmar-Aquasport factory to try to get some literature. The guy I talked to was very nice, but he said they had hardly anything on boats before they acquired the company. As I recall, he said that they thought they were buying a going concern, with blueprints, lots of hulls, tools, building materials, hardware, etc., etc. But when they took possession, they got a half-dozen hulls in various stages of completion, and that was about it. It was pretty clear that he didn't feel like their deal had been successful.

Bill
Shark Shadow ('88 222 Express Fisherman)

March 08, 2007, 09:15:47 PM
Reply #6

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------