Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: The 222 is at my home again . . .  (Read 766 times)

October 10, 2006, 12:46:39 PM
Read 766 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
The 222 is at my home again . . .
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:46:39 PM »
. . . back where the season started.  In one way, it is sad that my season on the southside of Cape Cod is over, but another one on the North Shore of MA will begin.  

The Osprey has been nothing sort of awesome this season.  The fishing has been fantastic, the numbers of Bonito and big Striped Bass were all records for the boat thanks to the new motor being so reliable and all, and all the lights and pumps and associated switches that I rewired all held up perfectly along with the radio tray that I resecured, I did good.  (Pause to pat self on back.)  

After I put the boat on the trailer, I set to doing some cleaning on the boat.  For some odd reason, a green algae set up on the starboard side under and around the oil tank which I can't figure out why, it had never done that before.  The other thing were black spots all over the same area, like a black mold of some sort.  I know the oil tank is pressurized and does not leak so I'm at a loss.  Could it be the fumes from the exhaust?, but why is there nothing on the portside of the transom well?  Strange.  

I popped all of the knockouts/small round Tempress hatch covers to allow air to circulate around the bilge and the stern one had some weirdness in it as well.  I reached up under the deck and found the underside of the deck to have about 1/4" of brown algae/growth on it, it was pretty thick, brown and slimy.  What is this?  Does water get in the bilge, oceanwater and rainwater or washdown water, then underway it splashes everywhere and then in the dark/humid/moist environment grow?  Needless to say, I took the hose and hit as much of the inside of the bilge as possible to displace all that growth and let it run out the bilge plug hole.  Now I'm thinking of spraying bleach or something in there to kill the rest of the stuff.  Is this a good idea?  What would you all do?  

If you had chips from bouncing off rocks on you hull, how would go about patching them?, Marine Tex?

October 10, 2006, 12:59:45 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
Probably bleach would be the best.  It will clean & kill at the same time.  When you store the boat make sure all inspection plates, lockers and whatever are left open.  If you shrink wrap, figure on a good number of vents.  Best cover is a tarp; it allows much better air circulation.

Glad you had such a good season... Spring '07's on the way!
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

October 10, 2006, 01:39:31 PM
Reply #2

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:39:31 PM »
Thanks JimCT.  I will be sure to leave all the inspection plates open as they are right now as the boat is on the trailer.  I have always used tarps to cover the boat and it has worked so very well as the circulation through the back has helped to keep things good underneath.  

This season I'll be going PVC and not the old wood 2x2's I had cobbled together.  One run from the console rail to the bowrail with notches in the pvc to lay right over the rail, and one from the console to the motor.  I'm still unsure of what I'll use to cushion the PVC against the motor cowling, I was thinking the closed cell mouse pad material as I have a ton of them laying around, would that be good?  Then I'll run likes from the bowrails to the PVC as support for the tarp, has worked well all these years.  Hopefully I'll have two more months up here as I'll fish into December if anyone is willing to go with me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal