Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: R&R Rods - Custom Rod Building and Repairs  (Read 854 times)

June 10, 2014, 02:25:25 PM
Read 854 times

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
R&R Rods - Custom Rod Building and Repairs
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Hello Gang,

This may be bit premature since not all of my logistics are finalized, but I figured I'd put the announcement out there anyway. For those of you who go a bit above and beyond the "disposable" Bass Pro fishing rod approach (or are ready to start), I'm in the process of opening my own custom rod business so I can get access to some wholesale parts pricing.  As a brief prologue, I built all the rods for world renowned Bill Boyd's Tackle for almost 5 years when I first moved to Florida (until Old Man Boyd passed away) and still like doing it on the side.  Most of my experience is in saltwater rods (casting, spinning, IGFA trolling, pitch baiting, standup, kite, deep drop, etc.) but I can handle pretty much anything you want to throw my way (fly, bass, ice fishing, etc.)  

If any of you know of an upcoming special occasion where a custom rod is the perfect gift idea, I'm the guy!  Also, I do EXCELLENT repair work for busted guides and worn grips and stuff, and match colors and materials VERY well.  I will post a couple sample photos as soon as possible, but all I ask is that you keep me in mind (Student loan payments are 'SPENSIVE!   :shock:)  

I will probably open by pricing well below the existing market in order to build some clientele and references and since I'll be doing all the work myself, so again another reason to consider me if you're in the market.  Since I have NO clientele right now, my turnaround time will be pretty quick (2-3 weeks for smaller orders), except for the fact that I have a small parts inventory right now and will need to special order in pretty much all my components.  It does help that there are several places I can drive to locally if a special order isn't quite right, and that Mudhole (biggest rod building wholesaler) is right nearby in Orlando.  

I also do professional quality reel repair/servicing (most major manufacturers) but I must add the obvious caveat that I am not a manufacturer certified or warrantee repair shop.   I do NOT replace parts unnecessarily (i.e. no price gouging), but if you wish to be proactive and replace things like bearings and drag washers before their lifespan is up I can certainly do that for you as well.)

Lastly, I'll just say that you can be assured you will be treated like gold because I cannot afford to screw up and pi$$ people off!   :lol: Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question, or if it's a business clarification question, then feel free to post on this thread so others can learn more. At this time I don't have any specific info regarding shipping costs, so feel free to just assume rates will be based on whatever USPS, UPS, or FEDEX rates are the best for your item with possibly a minor "packaging" fee added to cover materials and time.

Thanks for your interest. :salut:
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

June 11, 2014, 08:14:21 AM
Reply #1

Bergertime

• Information Offline
Re: R&R Rods - Custom Rod Building and Repairs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14:21 AM »
Ryan,

Can you build something like a Penn Torque 30-50 lbs fast action jigging rod?

FujiĀ® Deep Press Hardloy Guides (select models)

FujiĀ® Palm style reel seat (select models)

Torque triangler shaped EVA grips for control

Aluminum gimbal with cover (select models)

100% graphite blank

http://www.pennreels.com/products/rods/ ... ge-jigging

CARJG80130C58    5'8"    1    80-130 lbs    6-10 oz, 170-280 g    8+1    Fuji Hardloy / Deep Press Inserts    C
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

June 11, 2014, 08:19:14 AM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
Well that didn't take long. :mrgreen:

Remember everyone, please request pricing via PM/phone.

Thanks and good luck Ryan. :salut:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

June 11, 2014, 09:08:56 AM
Reply #3

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »
BT-

Can you build something like a Penn Torque 30-50 lbs fast action jigging rod?

Yessir. :thumright:   For all customs the hardest part is just figuring out what particular features of a comparable production rod the customer really wants/likes (i.e. graphite weave in the blank, overall weight, action of the blank, length/texture/shape of grips, etc.)  There are so many products out there right now that I often want to provide my customers what I know or feel is an upgraded part or material over a stock rod, yet for various reasons the customer is dead set on the exact feature I'm trying to upgrade.  For example, I would be trying to push you towards SIC, Alconite, or Silicon Nitride guides over the Hardaloy only because Hardaloy isn't great for braid/spectra lines, but if the specific guide you're asking for has an aesthetic appeal that can't be found in the other materials, then I'd certainly build you the version with hardaloy inserts.
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

June 21, 2014, 10:42:28 PM
Reply #4

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »
Ok, so I finally got a few crummy cell phone photos...and these are by no means my proudest works...just some examples of side projects that I've been able to photograph.

Ryan

1979 246 CCC

June 22, 2014, 12:10:53 PM
Reply #5

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »
Good looking rods, Ryan :thumleft: !  I started building my own rods several years ago.  It was a very addictive and enjoyable hobby for me.  In fact, it took an Aquasport rebuild project to break my rod building habit!  But I never attempted a complicated pattern like you show in your pics - they look great with a nice level finish.  And I agree with your recommendation on guide material - I used SIC or silicon nitride on pretty much everything - might as well make something that is going to last!  Good luck with the biz!
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal