Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 225 Evinrude hard to steer  (Read 603 times)

September 12, 2013, 08:08:45 PM
Read 603 times

levelhead

• Information Offline
225 Evinrude hard to steer
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
Got my twin 2001 225 Evinrudes at the local dealer for service and one of my concerns was that the boat was hard to steer. They said that they disconnected the steering and the problem is the motors themselves are very hard to pivot or turn from side to side. They also said there is no way to lubricate them or install new bushings without taking the powerheads off and disassembling the rest (a HUGE job).These motors have only 100 hours on them and obviously the boat was not used much which probably is part of the problem.
My question is does anyone know of a way to free up and or lubricate the pivots without taking everything apart ?

September 12, 2013, 09:26:24 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: 225 Evinrude hard to steer
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
No grease fittings on the swivel housing to lubricate the upper and lower bushings? Really? I've never seen it on a modern engine. Double check for the grease fittings. Now for the process. Typically what happens is salt will get between the bushing and inner steering shaft or the salt gets between the OD of the bushing and housing and begins to constrict the bushing around the steering shaft. Once you locate the grease fitting(s) begin to heat with a propane torch; the swivel housing up and down on its entire lenght. The goal is to get whatever grease is left in there to start to smoke and come to a light boil without getting so hot as to damage the plastic bushings. When this happens, attempt to pump grease into the fittings. What happens is once the grease starts to liquify it also starts to move the salt along with it. If it takes grease, starting turning the engine back and forth then go back to some heat, more grease and turning the engine until it frees up. The new grease will push out the old grease and salt along with it. This process works best with two people. It will work. I've had engines that would not move at all that responded to this process. As always, patience and time is always on your side.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 13, 2013, 06:23:30 AM
Reply #2

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »
I researched the factory parts breakdown for the swivel assembly. It lists 3 grease fittings in the region. Unfortunatley it doesn't show exactly where they are so you are going to have to do a little hunting for them. If they're not clearly visible looking down the sides of the swivel housing, then tilt the engine up and look up in the front of the housing in the area where the tilt ram cross pin is. In any event, there is a swivel bushing located at the top of the swivel housing and the bottom, next to the lower engine mount. Some designs use one grease fitting to lubricate both bushings, some have a grease fitting located adjacent to each upper and lower bushing. Bruce (Wingtime) has your engine; where are the grease fittings Bruce?
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

September 13, 2013, 07:48:38 PM
Reply #3

levelhead

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the input Fitz...when I get the boat back from the dealer I'll tilt the motors, look for the grease fittings and follow your process.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal