Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Remember to put the plug in!  (Read 603 times)

June 19, 2013, 08:56:14 AM
Read 603 times

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Remember to put the plug in!
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

June 19, 2013, 09:33:49 AM
Reply #1

Tx49

• Information Offline
Re: Remember to put the plug in!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »
That's kind of strange. Most drains will pull water out of the boat while you are moving. And only a few hundred feet from the dock?
Johnny

Success belongs to the Team, Failure belongs to the Leadership.

1970 Aquasport 240 CC SeaHunter

June 19, 2013, 10:39:53 AM
Reply #2

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
That is sad. They probably panicked or something. Or the boat had too much water in it to get up on a plane.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

June 19, 2013, 11:17:01 AM
Reply #3

Tx49

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
That is sad. They probably panicked or something. Or the boat had too much water in it to get up on a plane.

Yeah. Probably sat a while in the water taking on water while they were loading up. We all laugh about a lot of our brain fart mishaps, but just goes to show how dangerous some of them can really be.
Johnny

Success belongs to the Team, Failure belongs to the Leadership.

1970 Aquasport 240 CC SeaHunter

June 19, 2013, 11:21:25 AM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
A good read here on holes (in this case, an open garboard drain) in boats, particularly in regards to a 1" hole, and how much water can ingress through said open drain hole...http://www.ackermarinesurvey.com/boathole.html

Actually, an excellent read altogether, more boater's should heed these words of advice...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 19, 2013, 05:22:13 PM
Reply #5

icemanbryan

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »
My wife and I were in Laughlin NV some years ago.
We were riding a wave runner, I guy I saved almost drowned 10 ft from the shore.
I kid you not.
I rode by and saw his face, went a little bit and turned around, I could see he wasnt doing well.
 I grabbed him as he went under (most likely for the last time).
He was riding a wave runner and fell off. He took his life jacket off because he couldn't get back up.
He just got too tired.
I was a lifeguard in the late 70's early 80's.
You would be surprised how fast people can go under.
The guy who drowned might have been a non swimmer?

June 20, 2013, 08:44:44 AM
Reply #6

Cyclops69

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »
I did this when I was younger with a 23 Proline. Put the boat in at the ramp, tied it up went and parked. Got back in the boat and pushed off from the dock and noticed the bilge pump running, opened the deck hatch and she wall almost level with the deck with seawater. Total elapsed time maybe four or five minutes. Jumped overboard and put the plug in and it took almost fifteen minutes for an 1100 GPS bilge pump to empty it. So yes it can and does happen that fast. Very sad to hear about the man drowning its amazing how fast a great day out can turn into a tragedy by forgetting one simple little step. Make sure you run through all your checks before you head out, no matter how big of a hurry you are in!!!
1987 222 Osprey

June 20, 2013, 09:58:41 AM
Reply #7

Bergertime

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
I am curious... I was testing my bilge pump a couple weeks ago, really testing the float switch.  I put the plug in and then put a hose down in the bilge area and turned in on full blast.  It took a while (approx 1 min) for the water level to build to the point the bilge pump would turn on but my rule 1500 would pump out the water faster than the hose could fill as it would cycle on and off every 45-50 seconds.

Do you think a pump like a 1500 or larger could keep up with an open plug?  I would think a garden hose on full would put out more water than an open plug would let in at the dock?  Just guessing though, never officially tested my theory.  Thoughts?
98 245 Osprey / Johnson 225

June 20, 2013, 10:38:37 AM
Reply #8

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Quote from: "Bergertime"
I am curious... I was testing my bilge pump a couple weeks ago, really testing the float switch.  I put the plug in and then put a hose down in the bilge area and turned in on full blast.  It took a while (approx 1 min) for the water level to build to the point the bilge pump would turn on but my rule 1500 would pump out the water faster than the hose could fill as it would cycle on and off every 45-50 seconds.

Do you think a pump like a 1500 or larger could keep up with an open plug?  I would think a garden hose on full would put out more water than an open plug would let in at the dock?  Just guessing though, never officially tested my theory.  Thoughts?

The biggest thing I took from the link Bob posted was the depth in the hull of the opening (hole).

The deeper it is the greater the water pressure, the higher the volume and the faster the fill.

These big pumps draw a lot of amps. Boats around here sink all the time at the dock in thunderstorms. Float gets stuck on "on" from twigs, debris etc. Pump keeps running even though the bilge is dry, kills the batts. Next downpour comes...adios.

June 20, 2013, 10:56:47 AM
Reply #9

icemanbryan

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
We have a rule with ours.
It stays in period.
If I and only I remove it, I never leave the transom until it is back in place.
We also have a launch check list.
We never get in a hurry to launch, we stay back away from the ramp until ready.
We double check everything.
2Two of us walk around the boat.
We look each time we launch if the plug in in place.

Just takes a minute or so, no need to hurry.

You can be much safer that way, yeah?

June 20, 2013, 11:03:37 AM
Reply #10

icemanbryan

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Quote from: "Bergertime"

The biggest thing I took from the link Bob posted was the depth in the hull of the opening (hole).

The deeper it is the greater the water pressure, the higher the volume and the faster the fill.

These big pumps draw a lot of amps. Boats around here sink all the time at the dock in thunderstorms. Float gets stuck on "on" from twigs, debris etc. Pump keeps running even though the bilge is dry, kills the batts. Next downpour comes...adios.

You got that right Scott.
Deeper is more pressure
I see it happen out here in the Winter.

June 20, 2013, 02:25:22 PM
Reply #11

Joey

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
The deeper the more pressure is true, but it is pretty easily stopped.  On my 30' sailboat I replace a thru hull transducer while the boat was in the water and it was no big deal.  The diameter of the hole in the hull was 1 1/2 inches and was about 2 feet below the water line.

I simply cut the old wire off the transducer, took the nut off it and let it drop to the bottom.  Water starting coming in and I put my hand over the hole and it stopped.  Not a lot of pressure.  I grabbed my dive mask and the new transducer (which was prepped and ready to go) and I dove in, put the bundle of wire thru the hole and got back in the boat and secured everything down.  All in all I had maybe 10-15 gallons of water in the bilge when I looked and the pump was running and got it all out.  Time frame... 3-4 minutes.  When I was done I went back in and got my old transducer off the bottom.

Another time while sailing on a friends 27 footer we hit a floating log at a pretty good clip and punched a nice hole in the side of the hull on his boat.  We put a tarp overboard and with extra line we tied it about the entire hull.  Leak yes, but the tarp compressed enough against the hull it didn't sink us, and we made it back in.  A VHF call to the marina gave them enough notice to be able to pull the boat on arrival.  The pumps kept up with the leaking hull.

Scared, yes.  But I learned a valuable lesson on both occasions.  A hole in the hull while being very dangerous is not such a bad situation if you keep your head on straight.  In most all cases it can be easily managed.  Jump overboard, put the plug in, use buckets, call for help if you need it.  But you need to assess the situation and make an intelligent decision on how to fix it.  The very first step in this is to make sure you have all the proper gear, and it all works.

When people panic is when really bad stuff happens.

June 24, 2013, 02:03:52 PM
Reply #12

Cyclops69

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
Quote from: "Joey"
The deeper the more pressure is true, but it is pretty easily stopped.  On my 30' sailboat I replace a thru hull transducer while the boat was in the water and it was no big deal.  The diameter of the hole in the hull was 1 1/2 inches and was about 2 feet below the water line.

I simply cut the old wire off the transducer, took the nut off it and let it drop to the bottom.  Water starting coming in and I put my hand over the hole and it stopped.  Not a lot of pressure.  I grabbed my dive mask and the new transducer (which was prepped and ready to go) and I dove in, put the bundle of wire thru the hole and got back in the boat and secured everything down.  All in all I had maybe 10-15 gallons of water in the bilge when I looked and the pump was running and got it all out.  Time frame... 3-4 minutes.  When I was done I went back in and got my old transducer off the bottom.

Another time while sailing on a friends 27 footer we hit a floating log at a pretty good clip and punched a nice hole in the side of the hull on his boat.  We put a tarp overboard and with extra line we tied it about the entire hull.  Leak yes, but the tarp compressed enough against the hull it didn't sink us, and we made it back in.  A VHF call to the marina gave them enough notice to be able to pull the boat on arrival.  The pumps kept up with the leaking hull.

Scared, yes.  But I learned a valuable lesson on both occasions.  A hole in the hull while being very dangerous is not such a bad situation if you keep your head on straight.  In most all cases it can be easily managed.  Jump overboard, put the plug in, use buckets, call for help if you need it.  But you need to assess the situation and make an intelligent decision on how to fix it.  The very first step in this is to make sure you have all the proper gear, and it all works.

When people panic is when really bad stuff happens.

Very true. The difference between that happening on a sail boat and on outboard is a matter pretty much of displacement I believe. When an outboard takes lets say 50 gal of water into her bilge (approx 400 or so pounds) it drops the water line considerably allowing water to come in elsewhere. A three to four inch drop in an already loaded boat has drastic consequences also as you said panic sets in and three of the crew decide it would be a good idea to all look over the same side of the boat their weight along with that much shift in the water in the bilge and rolly over we go. Best bet is have your routine and do it the same every time

If this thread get one captain to take a second look at their drain plug then it is time well spent
1987 222 Osprey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal