Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Blew a Head Gasket.....  (Read 865 times)

May 02, 2013, 05:36:26 AM
Reply #15

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Blew a Head Gasket.....
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:26 AM »
Good job  :salut:
Now that most of the nasty weather is on it's way out of here we can plan to enjoy the weekend.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 02, 2013, 08:28:14 AM
Reply #16

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
Wow Paul!  You wasted no time with that project!   Nice work :cheers:

Curious...what'd you end up doing about the temp sensor wire?
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

May 02, 2013, 09:21:08 AM
Reply #17

pzart

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
Quote from: "Georgie"
Wow Paul!  You wasted no time with that project!   Nice work :cheers:

Curious...what'd you end up doing about the temp sensor wire?

I had everything prepped for a quick install, plus some friends helped/hindered too :mrgreen:

Temp sensor? Right now, nothing :shock:, whoever rigged this boat removed the alarm, that is another project that will start shortly. I will probably hook up a temp sensor of some sort since they installed a temp guage in the dash but never hooked it up. not sure yet if they just cut out the alarm or removed all the wiring for it. It would be nice to know if these temp units are sensors or switches....read temp or just switch the alarm on and off....that would help me a lot.

Thanks for all the help Georgie :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
My Fat and Skinny Water Rides

My 1982 WellCraft Sportsman 248 350EFI/BravoIII

My 1975 AquaSport 170 110 Evinrude

May 02, 2013, 10:16:22 AM
Reply #18

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
I'll second the  :shock: !!   You really, REALLY should take the time to reinstall that circuit.

The sensors are the trigger mechanism for a very simple overheat alarm system and the wiring it's probably mostly still intact as part of your engine wire harness.  A hot lead wire (usually purple for OMC) runs from the ignition keyswitch to the alarm horn, leaves the alarm horn as a light brown wire which runs through the engine wire harness and ultimately branches to both sides of the engine block dead-ending at the sensors in the cylinder head which are grounded to the metal of the block itself.  When a cylinder head get hot the switch inside the sensor closes and completes the circuit allowing the horn to sound and advise you of the problem.  The VRO systems which you may or may not have also have an oil level sensor that trips the same alarm horn when the oil level in the reservoir gets low.  To answer your question specifically, these sensors are just simple switches, not rheostat type sensors which provide feedback to a gauge.

In my opinion the overheat alarm circuit is even more important than the volt gauge and fuel gauge b/c failure of either gauge won't kill your engine.

Certainly not trying to rain on your parade at all...excited you were able to get the repair done in time for this weekend, but restoring that circuit needs to be a top priority.  If you accidentally suck up plastic bag or something you'll never know it until you fry the entire block.  I ordered my last horn used off e-bay to save some $$.  Here's a good example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-Johnson-Evinrude-Remote-Control-Boat-Warning-Horn-Assembly-176361-/121095071247?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c31d4260f#ht_520wt_1156
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

May 02, 2013, 11:08:14 AM
Reply #19

pzart

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »
Quote from: "Georgie"
I'll second the  :shock: !!   You really, REALLY should take the time to reinstall that circuit.

Believe me it's on the top of MY list, doubtful it happens before the  :pirat:  :pirat: GATHERING :pirat:  :pirat: I will keep my good eye on it :mrgreen: mainly because I have to clean the pool and make it perfect for the house sitter :shock: which I might add is not on MY list before the weekend, but is on HER list :mrgreen: otherwise..... :eye:  :eye:

But thanks for the info, I will see how much damage they did now, I have found a used alarm locally that my friend is picking up for me today. If they left the wires maybe I can get it fixed before I leave.
My Fat and Skinny Water Rides

My 1982 WellCraft Sportsman 248 350EFI/BravoIII

My 1975 AquaSport 170 110 Evinrude

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal