Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: New to Classic AS - looking for advice  (Read 1356 times)

April 17, 2013, 02:21:52 PM
Read 1356 times

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
New to Classic AS - looking for advice
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
Hi guys.  I am new to Classic AS and looking for advice on a new purchase.  I am on Tiki Island, TX on the Galveston Bay.  I have a 1990 Wellcraft 20 CC, but it is out of commision, and I think it will take more work than it is worth to recommission (transome redone in Seacast, but stringers dead and at least a little waterlogged with 1 soft spot in floor).  More importantly, I'd like something that runs a little shallower.  I actually owned a 200 Osprey for a while (scuttled - destroyed by PO - long story) and loved the lines.  I also would like something a couple feet longer, so I'm looking for a 22-2 or 222 CCP, or maybe even Mako 23.  My favorite (looks wise) is the 22-2, but I wonder if I'm not a little spoiled by the ride of the old Wellcraft - the deep V really does make a great seahandler for a 20.  I have looked at an '87 222CCP - fair condition, decent power, T-top (which I love), but issues like any boat.  As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will, as there are a couple things I don't get about it.  PO mods maybe?  Anyway, looking for basic advice about ride of 22-2 and any decent ones nearby.  I'm not afraid of boat work (engineer in previous life) and I've done some glasswork, plumbing, electrical, etc.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Blake

April 26, 2013, 08:57:45 AM
Reply #1

jdupree

• Information Offline
Re: New to Classic AS - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
Welcome Tikidoc :salut:   Sorry no one has responded to your first post.  I guess what kind of boat you want depends on what you intend to use it for.  If you like the ride of a deep V, you need to go with the 222 CCP.  It has a nice ride especially with trim tabs.  The older Mako's are good boats but as you can guess I am a little partial.

Did you ever go look and get pictures of the 222 CCP?  If you did post them and maybe we can give you some guidance.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal