Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Electrical panel  (Read 944 times)

February 12, 2013, 07:07:03 PM
Read 944 times

pigbike

• Information Offline
Electrical panel
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
On my 215DC I have several fuses under the main panel that are marked Stereo, Trim Tabs, 12V Socket. Accy, and so on. There is a toggle also maked Accy. I don't have and trim tabs, but would like to use the one maked Stereo to hook up my new stereo. My question is do these all connect to the Accy toggle for power or they hot all the time.

I installed my new stereo and speakers today and all went well with that. I now have to wire it up. I would like to have a switched power supply wire and would like to use the existing stereo fuse block.  I didn't have time to do much research or wire testing.

February 15, 2013, 06:44:51 AM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Electrical panel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »
I see this is from Tuesday so you may already be done, but to your question, no, the fuses you mentioned do not connect to the accy switch, it has it's own fuse, or circuit breaker.  I think most installs have the stereo connected from a non-switched hot, so there is power all the time.  You have the "memory" hot for the stereo, and other settings which would get lost every time the power was removed? But if you want switched power, use the accy toggle switch circuit, BTW do you have fuses, or push to reset breakers?
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

February 15, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
Reply #2

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:40:54 AM »
I have not wired the radio yet due to being busy and the weather. I have two power leads going into the radio. The first is power all the time for the memory, and then the main power line, which I wanted to use a switch. I want it wired so there is radio power with the key in the on and  off  position, so I can use the radio when stopped. Yes the radio leads do have there own fuses.
I was just looking for a close by switch to use that was already there and not being used. I can always run a separate wire from the battery but was trying to avoid that.

There is actually wires installed right where I am puttting the radio that connect to nothing. These appear to be part of the boats wiring harness but do not attach to anything. One has a white plug with 6-8 wires going to it and the other is two heavy wires with eyes on the ends. The wires are all numbered as is the rest of the wire loom. There was never anything installed at this location, and I don't know why the wires are there. I found them when I removed the built in tackle box in preparation to cut the hole for the stereo above the tackle box.

I really need to get out there and figure it out when I have time. It would be nice if these already installed  wires were wired as to my needs.

Roy

February 15, 2013, 10:15:26 AM
Reply #3

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
Roy
Get a test light, and probe the white plug that is where your stereo is going.  see if there is a black wire going into the plug, that is probably your ground, and if there is a red going in, that would be your hot.  with the test light, put the clip end on a good BAT - ground, then probe the plug corresponding with any red or red striped wires, if it lights, there is your hot.  Tie your stereo Hot and Memory wire into that hot lead using heat shrink butt connectors.
Marc

February 15, 2013, 10:44:57 AM
Reply #4

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
Ok Thanks FP. I will look at it this weekend. If I find power at the plug I will just use that. I am still wondering what these wires were for. Maybe Seabob knows what there for. Above where the tackle box is there is no optional equiptment that I know of, or have seen on a 215DC. Seems it is the select location for a stereo, but don't think A.S. wired it for future use.

February 15, 2013, 12:16:23 PM
Reply #5

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
Quote from: "pigbike"
Ok Thanks FP. I will look at it this weekend. If I find power at the plug I will just use that. I am still wondering what these wires were for. Maybe Seabob knows what there for. Above where the tackle box is there is no optional equiptment that I know of, or have seen on a 215DC. Seems it is the select location for a stereo, but don't think A.S. wired it for future use.

Check this thread, there is a wire color chart which is standard for the marine industry (for the most part), if the plug makes you wonder??? Look at the wire colors going into it, if they correspond to colors on the chart you'll figure it out, personally I wouldn't worry a minute about it, if it provides you power, use it... good luck
Marc

February 15, 2013, 03:38:32 PM
Reply #6

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
Roy,
Marc is spot on in regards to using the leads in the plug, given what he has said about seeing what's what.  Most "higher priced" Aqua's (of which the 215 DC is one) of my time had stereo leads in the main harness as stereos were factory options (Clarions at the time).  There should also be speaker leads in your harness...if you can find the ends!

Contrary to what my VERY good friend Marc states about tying the red (power) and yellow (stereo memory) together to "switched" hot, I ALWAYS wire the yellow to constant hot.  My luck, an owner actually wants to save his pre-sets (he actually listens to radio!) and he want's to use the stereo as a clock!  If you look under your helm, you may find a brown w/red stripe wire.  That is what we used for bilge float constant hot, you can tie into that for the memory...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 15, 2013, 05:33:21 PM
Reply #7

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »
Bob and Marc,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the wiring out and get it up and running. Bob do you know what the two heavy ga wires are for?? They are separate from the white plug. I think they are numbered #55 and #55A if I remember right. Both wires have a eye connector on them.

February 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
Bob and Marc,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the wiring out and get it up and running. Bob do you know what the two heavy ga wires are for?? They are separate from the white plug. I think they are numbered #55 and #55A if I remember right. Both wires have a eye connector on them.

Roy, that one puzzles me a bit.  10GA I assume.  My VERY educated guess is that you'll find their opposite ends under the helm, the red coming off a breaker.  Do this real quick check (well, "quick" can be an oxymoron here!).  Check continuity between any breaker and the red wire.  The black (ground) should already be tied into the ground side.  At 10GA, the only thing I can think of is macerator pump.  Even the stoutest washdown or freshwater pumps just need 14...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 17, 2013, 05:11:20 PM
Reply #9

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Well Bob you were right as always. The white plug is for a stereo and has all the wires you need. A hot always for the memory (hot with Perko switch on off), a hot with Perko on for the main radio supply, a ground wire, and two sets of speaker wires. I ran new speaker wires already so I used them, but tapping into that plug sure made things easy.

The two heavy wires must be for something but I just put them back in the hole. Another interesting thing I found was the hose going to the sink had been installed kinked. I wondered why they wasn't much water pressure to the sink, now I know why. That was a easy fix, just took it off the tee, cut about 4" off it and reinstalled it without the kink.

February 17, 2013, 05:55:28 PM
Reply #10

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
Roy, are 55 and 55A Brown w/blue stripe and black (or black w/blue stripe)?  Brown indicates a pump, so my guess is optional macerator pump.  Possibly porta-potti w/holding tank, and an optional overboard discharge...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 17, 2013, 06:13:31 PM
Reply #11

pigbike

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Roy, are 55 and 55A Brown w/blue stripe and black (or black w/blue stripe)?  Brown indicates a pump, so my guess is optional macerator pump.  Possibly porta-potti w/holding tank, and an optional overboard discharge...

Thats sounds right as the potti would be just forward of that location. I can barely fit in there so potti would be a challange. I like the newer models that do away with the useless sink, and enlarged the doorway to the potti parlor.

February 17, 2013, 06:28:59 PM
Reply #12

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"

Thats sounds right as the potti would be just forward of that location. I can barely fit in there so potti would be a challange. I like the newer models that do away with the useless sink, and enlarged the doorway to the potti parlor.

Yeah, but I LOVE the look of your 215!  I DON'T like the look of the re-designed ones, say around '01.  If they had kept the old look and just re-tooled the interior...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal