Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Transom plate  (Read 821 times)

December 10, 2012, 02:15:00 PM
Read 821 times

bayman

• Information Offline
Transom plate
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Hey guys, i was working on the transom today and noticed that i am having som delam going on. My plans were to bolt a plate in to sandwich it together then just glass the seem up top. I was thinking about useing some plywood that has been enclossed in glass. I know allot of people use ss for plates but i dont have that type of cash right now. Any one have any oppinons on this?

December 10, 2012, 02:16:20 PM
Reply #1

bayman

• Information Offline
Re: Transom plate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
I tried adding a pic but it wont allow it

December 10, 2012, 03:47:04 PM
Reply #2

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Aluminum.

Before you proceed, consider the cost and labor going this route versus a complete transom rework.

Use the search function. There are a ton of transom posts on here.

December 10, 2012, 04:07:33 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »
Any scrap metal yard will have stainless plate at a steal. I bought a 4 X 4 sheet for a home project a while back for $16.00. They buy/sell by weight.

December 10, 2012, 04:24:35 PM
Reply #4

bayman

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
I checked the transoms core and it all seemed dry  so i dont wanna get into it if i dont really have to. What thickness would you guys prefer?

December 10, 2012, 05:08:47 PM
Reply #5

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
You stated that the transom appears dry :?  If that is so, sounds like the transom cap is cracking which is pretty common due to age.  If the transom is not flexing, I don't see where a plate is needed.  Sounds like you just need to seal up the delamination.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 10, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
Reply #6

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
1/2" aluminum.  But what you are saying is to install the plate INSIDE to the transom, correct?  Then you big time have to mess with the core.  If you are saying a plate on the inside and the outside of the transom, then you are talking your "sandwich"...

A thought.  If your transom coring appears dry, why not inject some resin into the voids?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 10, 2012, 05:12:29 PM
Reply #7

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
JD, I think my second option is what you have in mind...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 10, 2012, 07:40:12 PM
Reply #8

bayman

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
If only i can add a picture it would explain it is right under the cap but runs the whole length of the "cap" how would i glue it back in place epoxy it then clamp it place ? The guy i got it from said he had a ss plate on it  then he used 5200 it fill the cap gap so it stayed dry

December 10, 2012, 08:05:02 PM
Reply #9

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
bayman,
Are you familiar with photobucket?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 10, 2012, 08:14:56 PM
Reply #10

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
Quote from: "bayman"
If only i can add a picture

Try this for your pics.
This assumes you're using a Windows based PC.
Get the photo somewhere on the PC..anywhere, drive type doesn't matter; flash, CD, DVD, hard, floppy..... just so long as you know where it is......

Now open the Forum and click on the Photo Gallery.
Click "Upload Photos" in the upper right side of screen.
Photo Gallery will now recognize you.
Look on the right side of the screen for the word "Browse". There will be several. Choose the top one and click on it.
A drop down box appears and assumes you know where the photo is and you click on the proper location.
Location loads in empty box to the left of "browse". If correct then scroll down and click "Upload/Submit".
Computer does its thing and a new screen appears.
Your photo in thumbnail size appears on left, make sure it's the one you want and that the little box to the right is checked.
Scroll down and click on the "Process" button at the bottom.
Computer does its thing.
You are now in your personal Gallery. Click on the photo and it opens in a new screen.
Now you can either right click on the pic and then click on "save image location" in the drop down box or use the options on the right. Your choice.
If you right clicked and clicked the save image location (old school) you do this...

Now, go back to your post and click on the "IMG" box at the top. That places [img][img] in your post.
It even places the cursor between the two [img]s so you just hit control/v and you're good to go.

If you clicked on either box to the right of your photo, clicking on the IMG is not needed (common error), just hit control/v where you want the photo in your post.

In either instance, Photo Gallery sizes your photo to fit.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 10, 2012, 08:38:03 PM
Reply #11

bayman

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
I am useing a iphone any idea how to upload off of this?

December 10, 2012, 09:04:39 PM
Reply #12

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
E-mail it to yourself, pull from the mail.

December 11, 2012, 08:12:42 AM
Reply #13

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
E-mail it to yourself, pull from the mail.

Whoa, listen to the Geek Squad commando. (inside joke):wink:  
Scott is right on with that. :thumright:

I'm not an Apple guy but there are members that post pics from both the iPhone and iPad so it's doable.

I posted from my Galaxy S III so smart phone posting can be done. It's a damn sight easier for old guys from a computer.

Good luck.

Mod Edit:
Using the "Search" function, I found my old post when I learned how to post photos from the phone. This should work basically the same for an iPhone. Hell Samsung first copied then paid for the the iPhone "system".

Since the pic from your phone is in whatever Apple calls their version of a photo gallery, it's easy to use the info in my earlier post to get the pic into this Forum's Photo Gallery. The technique is identical. Open the Forum gallery and direct it to the iPhone gallery. Once you have the pic in the Forum Gallery, follow the directions below.

Select the pic you desire with a finger touch (duh), then select the "Linked Image" box to the right of the photo by holding your finger on the box. This gives a pop up menu allowing you to save the link and touch "copy all" (again, this is for my Galaxy, your iPhone may be somewhat different).

Then it's business as usual. To insert a pic into your post, touch and hold the dialog box (where you're typing your post) and another menu box appears. Touch paste and you're home free. Do not (as I was doing) touch the toolbar boxes above the dialog box (Thank You Fearless Leader :salut: ).

So you can take a pic with your cell phone, load to your phone gallery, access the Forum site online, open your Member Gallery, download from phone to Aqua site and finally add it to a post. All with a smart phone.

If you have not placed any photos in this Forum's Photo Gallery, no big deal. Follow this lead from above.

Open the Forum, then click on the Photo Gallery button on the tool bar at top.
Click "Upload Photos" in the upper right side of screen.
Photo Gallery will now recognize you. This will create your personal gallery.

The photo below was transferred from my phone, to the Forum Gallery, and placed in this post, all by using the phone.
This was 2.2 Meg pic (I believe) on my phone and the Forum Gallery re-sized it automatically.

Ain't Life grand.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 11, 2012, 09:57:36 AM
Reply #14

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »
Ive got a "snapbucket" app on my iphone. It sends pictures from your phone to your photobucket. Then just go to your photobucket, resize to 640x480 or whatever and copy and paste the img code...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal