Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: bottom paint,  (Read 727 times)

April 16, 2007, 09:02:09 AM
Read 727 times

gcapehart

• Information Offline
bottom paint,
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
With our 25XF and a Johnson 225 any advice on the following. Up here gas is over $3.00/ gal. Our boat was previously moored and has layers of bottom paint, I am scraping that off, sanding and touching up. I am planing to get it as smooth as the gelcoat was underneath. I am putting on Pettit Hydrocoat. Can I thin it some to do more coats and then sand that smooth too with 300-600 sandpaper? Should I put it on as out of the can then sand? Is there then a polish/wax that would also make it more slippery for better mileage?  Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

April 16, 2007, 10:15:27 AM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
I don't know about thinning and sanding but if you wax it, you defeat it's purpose.  If it's not going to be stored in the water then I would re-coat with a good paint like Awlgrip instead of bottom paint.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

April 16, 2007, 11:12:34 AM
Reply #2

gcapehart

• Information Offline
John Jones
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I guess the silver bullet hasn't been found. I am planning to do the Seafoam treatment. My wife and I love our boat. We are late to it. We have a Nor'easter blowing through. Had 8" of snow last Wednesday and 18" the week before. Yesterday we still ice rafts in the Penobscot but we are pulling on the lead. Thanks, Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal