Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: My bilge pics, 87 Osprey 222.  (Read 796 times)

October 16, 2006, 11:04:23 AM
Read 796 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
My bilge pics, 87 Osprey 222.
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:04:23 AM »
Well after the brilliant gentleman who stuck his digicam in the bilge to see what was going on inside that dark, forbidden place, I decided to do the same as I have been so curious for so long to see what is really in there and here they are.  

This first pic of the lower transom.  What I noticed in this was all the putty/caulk, whatever that white stuff is that has now moved.

From the back looking forward, this is where the fuel tank lives.  I expected to see the aluminum fuel tank just strapped into place since I had no idea how it had sat in the boat.  It is good to see that it looks pretty good in there.  I believe that the line on the upper left is the fuel line going to the barb that is on the portside rear gunwale and capped.  This is for another engine, no?, but is unused in a single.  

Here is a shot looking forward from what must have been from the front inspection hole in my starboard side bow storage box.  It is strange that the foam is exposed on that stringer and I believe that the wall at the rear of the photo is the fuel tank again.  What would have caused the foam in the stringer to be exposed like that?  

Portside wiring tube.  I think that I could not find the opening for this rigging tube.  I should have looked down from the center inspeciton port and shot a pic to port to see as I had dropped a 8/10mm combo wrench down it and it must still be in there rusting away.  

All in all, things do look pretty good still, after all it will only have been 20 years this spring and many of you have much older AS' than this.  

I got to go codfishing on her for the first time this past Sunday and we got some good ones over the rail, first cod on her ever, so now I'm hooked and can't wait to get out again next weekend, heck, even my girlfriend liked it and she doesn't really like fish.

October 16, 2006, 11:47:14 AM
Reply #1

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »
Why that foam is exposed on that stringer, I don't have a clue.

But someone has put a grinder to it at one time. You can see the grind mark's just past the foam.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

October 16, 2006, 12:21:04 PM
Reply #2

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »
Looks maybe like the grinding was done because the factory thought there might be an interference fit there with the corner of the fuel tank tub.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

October 16, 2006, 02:21:01 PM
Reply #3

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »
I do know that it would have been impossible for anyone to get a grinder down in this bilge without taking the entire deck/floor out.  The possiblity of someone from the factory grinding it out is certainly real.  I'm glad that the foam doesn't look wet as it is far forward, but I can't be sure from the picture.  Amazing what the digicam showed me and I plan on getting more pics next time I get the camera.

This past week I had been putting the hose down the bilge and giving everything a good rinse and all sorts of chunks of stuff have been showing up at the garboard plug, chunks of some sort of filler that hardened, odd shaped pieces.  I should have taken pictures of them.

October 16, 2006, 08:09:21 PM
Reply #4

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
I gott'a go with what JimCt said.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal