Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Shopping for dual station controls..FOR BEGINNERS  (Read 495 times)

February 10, 2016, 10:16:05 PM
Read 495 times

HawgLeg

• Information Offline
Shopping for dual station controls..FOR BEGINNERS
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:05 PM »
So I'm lurking around in this department now...  :ScrChin:  I'm starting to look around and weigh my options for dual station engine controls on my 222 flatback and I'm pretty much decided on the classic Morse style twin lever. I understand xtreme cables is the way to go from what I've been reading here. What I don't quite understand(in the big world of choices out there) are all morse style twin levers the same animal or what??? Does it matter if I find a vintage model on eBay or wherever cause I do like vintage especially if I can save some coin. I also don't quite understand the concept of the Seastar DS selector. Is this something you gotta have or can you just run both stations in a series?

PS- the only negative I can find to the morse controls is having to take your hand away from the throttle to trim but Its prob just cause I've never had to do it. What is the "blinker" looking switch I see on some helms? Is that for the bracket instead of a panel mount?

Thanks a bunch fellas I wouldn't be able to do this without ya
1970 Aquasport 22-2 Flatback with Yamaha F200

February 11, 2016, 07:15:44 AM
Reply #1

akbridge

• Information Offline
Re: Shopping for dual station controls..FOR BEGINNERS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »
The blinker style trim adjusters can be used with the engine trim or a jack plate.  They just need to be wired in properly.  I can't speak much on the dual controls.  But I have had Morse Controls before.  I really like the look and simplicity of them.  You get used to adjusting the trim with a different hand pretty quickly.  I would not use the seastar unit.  It seems like you could get into your tower and forget to swap controls!!  Well I could.... :oops2:   
Most folks use Morse because it is simple and works.  http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/Teleflex/TMTechCat-Controls(v4_0)Selection_Guide.pdf  Look on the second page.

February 11, 2016, 09:31:20 AM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
Not sure you have read this but it has a good deal info.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10547.0

And this.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12182.0

This is old but the people where very helpful at the time. You may wish to contact them to help with input/solution.
http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10549.0

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

February 11, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
Reply #3

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
As has already been stated the blinker switches can be used to operate the trim/tilt feature. I have have both the blinker switch and morse twin controls on my vessel and am very happy with the setup. Regarding having one hand on the throttle, I find it much more comfortable to have both hands on the wheel. As long as your throttle does not walk back while you are running there is no need to have your hand on the throttle at all times. Regarding control cables I prefer the Uflex zero friction cables. Good luck with your setup.

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

February 15, 2016, 11:02:17 AM
Reply #4

HawgLeg

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
Thanks for the help
1970 Aquasport 22-2 Flatback with Yamaha F200

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal