Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: '86 Osprey console rebuild  (Read 1519 times)

July 06, 2007, 03:18:17 PM
Read 1519 times

Max

• Information Offline
'86 Osprey console rebuild
« on: July 06, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
INTRO: I'm new to the website.  Own an 86 200 Osprey that I picked up from Tampa, FL in late February and trailered to Missouri (Fort Leonard Wood). Since gone to Lake Charles, Louisiana, Galveston, TX, and Lake texoma, TX as well as my local lakes.  Done a lot of "make it work" work on the boat....  BTW, I'm a fly fisher, so some stuff like exposed cleats will eventually be replaced.

QUESTION: Because of the age of the boat and multiple prior owners the console has more holes than a well-aged wheel of Swiss cheese.  My winter project is to take the console off and glass it.  Anybody done this?  I don't necessarily want to restore the console as much as make it functional for me.  To that end I intend to replace the gauges only with tach, voltmeter, and fuel to leave room for an in-panel mount of my VHF, and I an contemplating going to a side-of-console mounted shifter to make room to panel-mount my GPS/sonar.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

BTW, I am indebted already to the folks who posted about the wiring job one fellow did.  I learned a lot and that will be part of my project.

Max
Greg (Max) Maxwell
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Federation of Fly Fishers Life Member
1986 Osprey 200 w/ 2000 Merc 115 & 5hp Nissan 4-stroke kicker

July 06, 2007, 08:22:43 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:22:43 PM »
Welcome Max!  First Missouri AS member I think.

There are several ways you can go about it but first out of the gate should be pictures of your perforated console.  From there you will no doubt attract several opinions and methods to fill the holes and abandoned cut-outs.  Many of us face the same situation as we upgrade and/or simplify our consoles.

Need a picture tour of the boat too!
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

July 10, 2007, 03:10:20 PM
Reply #2

RebelYell

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
Ummm...uhhhh

You may want to include a temperature gauge on your simplified gauge cluster as well...

June 08, 2016, 01:31:39 PM
Reply #3

uglystick

• Information Offline
Re: '86 Osprey console rebuild
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »
I agree about the factory gauge cluster. The trim gauge and speed are useless  you could side mount the radio vertically. I wouldn't side mount the throttle control as the are a bit awkward that way and you can catch your clothes and things there. I have an 87 200 Osprey You can just place some star brite over the old gauges  and over the switches, etc or you can just glass over everything with thin 1/4 " plywood.  Then cut your holes. You can also munt your radio inside the plexiglass glove box. You can still hear it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal