You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Replacing trailer brakes  (Read 218 times)

July 30, 2021, 01:50:22 PM
Read 218 times

itscaptainmjaqua

• Information Offline
Replacing trailer brakes
« on: July 30, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
I recently bought a 215 explorer, came with a used 2006 Loadrite 22T4700E. Surge braking system. Brake lines, rotors, and calipers look completely shot (it is even missing a caliper). I'm a decent 'backyard mechanic' and noticed I can buy complete tandem axle disc brake kits for boat trailers for under $1500. Anyone have experience with this? Looking for tips on: 1) how to select the right kit for my trailer (Loadrite site doesn't seem to have complete kits, and I'd like to best match size, specs, etc); 2) how long it should likely take me (I'm assuming it is a weekend job); 3) common pitfalls

Alternatively I considered just buying a whole new trailer, but this one has new wheels, frame and electrical are good, fits the boat, etc. Previous owner only towed boat a mile or so and used a large pickup so let the surge brakes go, otherwise treated trailer well. I'm towing with an SUV and want the surge brakes. Looks like if I buy a new one it will be over $5000, and finding a used one around here will likely come in around $2000 at least assuming I find one and then I'd have to sell the old one.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge

July 30, 2021, 03:40:41 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Replacing trailer brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 03:40:41 PM »
If the backing plates where the backing plates mount are in good shape you can certainly rebuild them or replace with disc brakes. I replaced mine with Kodiak brakes (discs, calipers pads)and it was easy. Running new lines should be easy, just follow where they currently are - a little bender should be cheap.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 04, 2021, 01:11:02 PM
Reply #2

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
Used trailers will most likely need some attention to the brakes anyway, might as well put NEW equipment on a trailer you know already fits your boat assuming the rest of it is good to go.
I replaced all my equipment through Trailer Parts Superstore and Kodiak's online store, both have everything you need. Be sure to get brake pads w stainless backing plates. No need for a brake line bender, typically they use flexible hoses with junctions/coupling fittings everywhere, replace those as well they're cheap.
Also be sure to get some heavy duty zip ties to strap the hose to the axle. The brake line running down the frame of my trailer was riveted on, I left most of it in place and zip tied the new brake hose to the old to avoid drilling and riveting.
The master cylinder might be toast, how does the fluid look? You can replace just the master, or get a new actuator assembly with master for not much more $$$. Does the existing system also have an electronic reverse valve?

September 07, 2021, 01:54:11 PM
Reply #3

itscaptainmjaqua

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 01:54:11 PM »
Thank you all for the advice! Bought a full kit and changed them out along with the actuator. Took about a weekend, expect it would take half that now that I know the process. The castle nut was held on by tabbed washers, so order some in advance if you do the job.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal