Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: ***Need help on live-well system on my 175 Osprey Striper***  (Read 2886 times)

June 24, 2012, 12:28:32 AM
Reply #15

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: ***Need help on live-well system on my 175 Osprey Stripe
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
Quote from: "gran398"
For sake of input, Jdupree's 222 CCP used the same system with a mushroom....it wouldn't prime consistently. He changed it to a clamshell, end of issue.

I didn't realize JD mounted a mushroom under the hull. The CCPs of that era came with a "scoop" of sorts mounted on the transom that flowed water into the transom mounted live well. No shut off valve, just a piece of pipe running into the well. It was a glorified hole really and I never found it to be much good so I removed mine and sealed up the transom. Live well became a trash bin. :idea:

I could see how one would have difficulty pulling water through that and sending it to a different location. I'm surprised his under hull mushroom didn't work with the diaphragm pump.

He didn't mount a mushroom...it was like that when he bought it. We both figured it was factory, as the example (pic) above. Exactly the same fitting.

Straight pipe on yours...no seacock....weird, especially since it was factory rigged.

John's has a seacock, hard to turn. He has loosened it up, but still hard to turn.

He no longer uses his built-in livewell either. He has a new setup under the leaning post that works great.

Re the mushroom and the clamshell...the mushroom is latent, the clamshell forced. Even with a self-priming pump....as opposed to the forced clamshell raw water pickup, the mushroom intake provides frothier froth the faster you go.

As you say, a true pickup is the way to go.

June 24, 2012, 09:05:22 AM
Reply #16

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: ***Need help on live-well system on my 175 Osprey Stripe
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Straight pipe on yours...no seacock....weird, especially since it was factory rigged.

This is what I had (JD's pic).
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... ll_CCP.jpg

It just went straight into the OEM well. No valve. Just more stuff in that transom.
I didn't have a thru hull mushroom on the CCP. It was rigged like that from the Factory. It may have also served as the livewell drain at the end of the day. Maybe GF has/had that setup. My current WAC did come with a thru hull that fed the well under the Captain's chair.
There was a hose bib (complete with mini vice grips for a handle) that allowed water to come into the well. The PO was kinda proud of that rig and it did fill while underway. The system also had a non functioning bilge pump on top of the thru hull (above the valve) that was to fill and circulate water, all of which has gone the way of Dino.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal