Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Radar Arch on a FF?  (Read 1352 times)

October 31, 2011, 03:09:19 PM
Read 1352 times

TheKid

• Information Offline
Radar Arch on a FF?
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
I know some of you, bondobill, have a tower on your FF. I'm wondering how difficult it was to access the the area for mounts.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a tower and trying to figure out how I would install it. I have done tower installs on ski boats many times so I know the routine.

Just trying to figure out the best access points for backing.

Did you cut a new panel?

October 31, 2011, 06:39:49 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Radar Arch on a FF?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
Are you looking at mounting the bases to the gunnels, or something like the "Uni-Arch", mounting the bases to the sides of the helm wings?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 31, 2011, 08:02:19 PM
Reply #2

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
Hey Kid
Will try to take some photos of how mine is mounted and post tomorrow. Got a project in my shop at home I will be working on so I will be out there anyway.
Bill
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

November 01, 2011, 12:33:44 PM
Reply #3

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
Kid got some photos for ya

matched slope of arch to windshield

Cut some access hole for mounting of arch, installed stereo speakers

time for new canvas, pushing 20 years old

I used 3/4 plywood for backing on the inside where arch bolts came thru the sides
Bill
1979 222 FF

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

November 01, 2011, 03:32:39 PM
Reply #4

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
Thanks Bill.

So both mounts you could access from the same hole on each side?

Did you cabasol or resin in the backing boards?

This is SOP for wakeboard/skiboat towers due to the loading.

Wondering if it is necessary as it requires a bit more room for prep and install.

Thanks again!

Oh yeah..what tower did you go with? Or did you mfg yourself?

November 01, 2011, 03:36:12 PM
Reply #5

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
Looking at it again...arnt those the standard cutouts already installed in the boat?

Looks like a reach up to the mounts from inside.

November 01, 2011, 08:06:35 PM
Reply #6

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
Kid
Your are right about were I have my speakers there were access plates in that same spot when I bought it, didn't know if they factory. As far as install of plywood I used  3m 5200 . Are you planning on using it for towing skiers, if so I would be afraid where I have mine mounted it isn't structually strong enough for that. It works fine for my use were it is mounted. You would probably have to mount one strut forward of winshield on front deck and the rear strut on the flat spot behind side glass. I looked at that before I put mine in. It was along reach installing fastening hardware to the front strut but I have long arms.Also I had mine built locally. If you have any other questions just ask. Us FF owners have to stick togeather,  haven't decided whether we are a rare breed or if the boat is.
Bill
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

November 02, 2011, 02:53:26 PM
Reply #7

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Hell no, this is not a ski boat. I have installed a few that were used for that. This is just for getting rods out of the way, increasing the height of my VHF antenna and adding a radar in the future. I'm also thinking of adding a tower bimini to it. That brings up another point.

On ski boats some MFG's make bimini's that mount direct to the tower with no straps for an aft holding it up. I haven't seen anyone apply this to a radar arch. I might attempt it and us it as a collapsible top with snaps to attach isinglass. Just a thought. Maybe not for this boat as I am not sure how long I plan to keep it.

Yes, these are rare and I think us as owners are even rarer. It's a good boat. But...I realy want a walk around and more HP.

We'll see. I still treat her like I'll keep her. Just have to be careful how far I go in adding things. Not sure I'll get anything back out if I need to sell her.

Anyway, now I am rambling. Thanks for the tips. Oh, maybe Ive asked before, how much did you pay to have it fab'd up? I'm thinking of the same thing. It might save a bit on tax and shipping having it built near home.

November 02, 2011, 06:30:53 PM
Reply #8

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
On my top. I can remove the top front clear section and leave the black canvas section on. Acts as a bimini top. Gives you some shade on the very few hot summer days we get up here. Also can remove the black canvas section and that leaves you just the arch. The front clear section is really nice in the winter time when temp is in the 30's, kinda acts like a greenhouse.  
I know what you mean about putting to darn much time and money in these boats, I have had mine for so long now everytime I have to do something to it I say it will be the last, probably been saying that for the last 15 years.
 It's just something about the lines to the old AS's. It says something when you pull up to a dock full of newer expensive boats and the old Aqua is the one that draws attention.
Bill
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal