You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: PVC board  (Read 598 times)

October 06, 2020, 08:37:07 PM
Read 598 times

BkFL222

• Information Offline
PVC board
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
Hey guys! I am working on the materials to install my floor and With the price of Coosa being so high, I was wondering has anyone used PVC board? Also, has anyone successfully Fiberglassed over PVC? Just thinking of options other than plywood.
Thanks!

October 07, 2020, 12:08:53 AM
Reply #1

Hooked-On-Shenanigans

• Information Offline
Re: PVC board
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »
I don't think PVC would be a good material to use for the decking. I do not believe anything will adhere to it (similar to starboard material). You would be much better off with nidacore glassed on each side. A lot more work but will be very rigid and about 1/4 the price per sheet vs Coosa.

October 08, 2020, 05:16:33 AM
Reply #2

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »
I would not use pvc board for a deck, but have used as a core it for smaller projects.  It is nothing like starboard and accepts resin quite well.  As with any smooth surfaced material you have to rough it up to get a good tooth for the resin.  In my experience sanding  works well enough for this. 

There have been tests bonding to PVC that showed solvent wash and flaming the surface with a torch produced a bond that resulted in substrate failure, and OVC primer and solvent prior to bond produced Results nearly as good.  https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/bonding-pvc-plastic-with-epoxy/  Note: even the results where the bond to surface failed are not disqualifying because such failures are common with all foams including COOSA, because the resin doesn’t penetrate very deeply into the surface.  That’s kinda the reason we choose foams because water doesn’t penetrate for the same reason.

As I said, I wouldn’t use PVC board for a deck, but you have lots of other choices that cost less than COOSA.  These include Dinycell, Airex, Nidacore.  All work well for decks, cost less than Coosa and are used by boat manufacturers for decks.  My choice would be whichever I could pick up within reasonable driving range, because freight costs for sheets are brutal.

By the way Divinycel is PVC, so it is chemically the same material.  The foam board has a smaller celled foam structure and a molded smooth surface that has to be broken to expose the core.  I’m not sure where the myth about a PVC not bonding comes from, maybe improper surface prep, but it’s untrue.

October 30, 2020, 06:30:05 PM
Reply #3

Que Pasa

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
Lots to consider, if you're planning on putting in a T - top you'll need to glass in some aluminum plate supports. The pvc board will work but its only a little lighter then the marine plywood. I was contemplating using it also but went with the coosa instead and I'm glad I did. The coosa is half the weight of marine plywood and its easy to work with. So spend the extra money and go with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal