Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: My new 87 angler 17 refurbish  (Read 1490 times)

October 09, 2016, 02:39:06 AM
Read 1490 times

aiezzi

• Information Offline
My new 87 angler 17 refurbish
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »
Well I just picked up today a 1987 angler 17' center console, it's in good shape, the transom seems pretty solid, the floor to the left of the console is a little soft and the hatch covers are started to soften. She has a nice rats best under the console. Which I have to clean up and figure out what is going on. But she came powered with a 97 mercury 50 hp four stroke. The motor apparently has low compression in one cylinder. She needs a gas tank for under the sole and I need to make a new lid for the control trough and bildge. But other then that she is a nice boat. My plans are to find anywhere from a 60-90 hp motor and put it on because I feel like the 50 is way to small, get her cleaned up and hopefully will be able to take her out for the striper run this year. But here is a few pics of her .

October 13, 2016, 12:15:14 AM
Reply #1

aiezzi

• Information Offline
Re: My new 87 angler 17 refurbish
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »
Well I haven't done much to the boat since I got it home but start trouble shooting the motor, I'm ordering the starter solenoid this week and once it comes in I'll be able to truest test the compression, but I attempted to crank the motor by hand today and all the cylinders held at 90 lbs, it also hasn't run in 2 months. So unless I can jump the solenoid and get it to turn under it own power to get an accurate reading I'm keeping my fingers crossed the motor has solid compression and I'll be able to splash her this year before the freeze for November striper!

October 15, 2016, 10:23:16 PM
Reply #2

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
Well after jumping the solenoid tonight the motor has 150 in all cylinders! So looks like I lucked out in thins one and all I need is to buy a solenoid!!

October 25, 2016, 12:12:34 AM
Reply #3

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »
Well I started cleaning the old teak in the boat and I'm going to refinish it with spar varnish, is there any specific brand people use or is any spar varnish good? Never used it before I always oiled teak but after seeing the results of brendans 170 rebuild and the wood how that came out, I decided I want to spar varnish mine. Also has anyone heard of core light? It's supposed to be a pvc composite board that can be used for soles, transoms, and stringers but is very similar to star board. And I want to use that to make a new kid for the builds and for the control trough with out glass for the moment until next year when the weather warms so I can glass it in my garage.

October 25, 2016, 11:59:05 AM
Reply #4

Brendanpd28

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
Hey aiezzi,

I ended up using Helmsman Spar Varnish which is available at you local home center. I usually go with a more expensive varnish such as Petit but after a lot of research I found there not to be much of a difference.  A couple guys tested out 50 different types of varnish by applying to small pieces of wood and leaving them all exposed to the same elements and the results were surprising.  Helmsman held its own for sure.  The wood on my cooler seat and console are covered when the boat is moored so they are well protected.  The gunnel rod mounts are always exposed and stood up very well this year to the elements. My recommendation is the following:

- Strip all pieces down and sand starting at 80 and working down to 220.
- Partially thin the first 1 or 2 coats with a good quality thinner to help absorption into the grain.
- Sand between each coat with 220 and wipe down with same thinner before next application. (anything finer than 220 can result in poor adhesion)
- Do at least 5 coats and you wont have to think about it again for quite some time.

I am a big fan of teak oil but it really has to be done every year to keep that nice look and maintain protection.

Hope this helps.  Good luck and be patient!!
Brendan P. D.

October 28, 2016, 12:49:25 AM
Reply #5

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »
Thanks brendan for the advice on the varnish and application, I appreciate it very much. The teak is very rough, the p/o wasn't one for caring for it, the grain is very tough and you can tell it wash powerwashrd after it was used. I will start sanding the teak to smooth it out tomorrow and then will start varnishing. I read online not to use a orbital sander for doing this, what did you use? I don't have a belt sander handy but I do have another older sander, I guess I will have to break out and use. Helmsman was actually the varnish I was thinking about picking up but was afraid it wouldn't do so well in the weather. Also which one did you get the oil based one or water, I was thinking of oil based. Thanks again for your help on this subject. Pics will come soon!

November 05, 2016, 07:51:14 AM
Reply #6

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »
Well I have been working on varnishing the teak on the boat, I'm loving the way it came out, here is a pic of some of the wood varnished I think this was the second coat,

November 05, 2016, 03:38:53 PM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
 :thumleft:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 28, 2016, 07:32:12 PM
Reply #8

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
I like the hull. Keep the Pictures coming!
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

January 18, 2017, 03:24:35 PM
Reply #9

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:35 PM »
Well I don't have any updates yet on the boat work has been crazy, I haven't even had the time to go out to my garage to look at it! But work will be slowing down soon and I'll have some time to get back to it.

April 16, 2017, 12:16:47 AM
Reply #10

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:47 AM »
 Well I finally have some progress made in the boat, I picked up some azek and cut a lid for the bilge,control trough and made some console doors, I also got some  pvc and fished all the wires, and cables through it from the console to the transom, and laid it in the trough. I've been using west systems six ten expect to fill screw holes through out the boat. I got all that sanded down, I moved the water separators off the gunnel and down into the bilge, started cutting out the rats best of wires under the console. I'm picking up a trailer and tank this week. I still have to fish wires for the bilge pumps and cut a hole for the through hull for the bilge pumps and plumb them up. I got a fuse panel and a bus bar For the positive line, I need one for the negative like still. I ordered myself a brand new stereo and speakers from west marine on clearance for 49.99 could be that deal. I'm the next few days I'm gonna order topside paint. Apparently rustoleum makes a marine topside paint and it's very easy to work with, and I'm going to use that. 13$ a quart. I'm hoping to slash her the of first or second week of may. Here is some pics of what's gotten done so far. Let me know what you guys think of the two colors for the topside paint I want to do navy blue but my fear is it will be to dark and will look black. Well onto the pics, please excuse my scuppers drains and garboard drain being covered in 5200 I still have to mount the actual flaps

April 16, 2017, 12:26:14 AM
Reply #11

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
I also picked up this sweet 4 in one gauge and now I just need a tach to match it, I plan on painting the inside of the boat semi gloss white and then doing the non skid in oyster white, thatt way its not to hard the keep it skid and skiff free, I also decided on her name I just need to have it made up

May 01, 2017, 09:47:08 PM
Reply #12

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Well my progress continues on the boat, I found a 18 gallon moeller gas tank that will fit in my coffin, so I picked that up, tore the console up and moved it to the front casting deck so I could pull the tank cover, and start the fun processes of removing the fill and vent lines and plumbing in the tank. I had to cut a piece out from the casting deck so I could dig out the foam around the fill and vent, I still have some foam to dig out around the thru hull vent so I can install the new one, I also need to cut in a access hatch for the deck fill.  I ordered the tank straps and I have to pick them up this week sometime, I also picked up the topside paint, the hull will be green, the sole and everything else inside will Ben white and then I'm gonna do a tan/ beige non skid.i also started filling all the old screw holes in the sole from the console and cooler seat. I have also started wiring everything's back up neat and properly. Both the bilge pumps are in I need to install the float switch, I have my water separator installed. I also have  old rail head unit I can use to mock up for the new one when it arrives. This boat had been one set back after the next when it came to my initial plan on what I wanted to do but I'm glad it's finally coming together even though it's not exactly the boat I want. Well on to a few of the pics I got of the work these last coupe weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal