Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Gearshift rod adjustment  (Read 662 times)

May 15, 2007, 04:34:16 PM
Read 662 times

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Gearshift rod adjustment
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »
I replaced the water pump on my 1989 225VRO 25" transom. It ran great but after a difficult shift at the start. When I returned, went to neutral, but again had real difficulty getting back into forward. The reverse shift was easy. So as pointed out here I dropped the lower unit, adjusted the rod, according to manual at about 26" 7/8". But, I am not sure if it was in neutral or not. So yesterday I dropped her into the Penobscot again. This time forward was great, but I didn't have any reverse.  So I think it is the adjustment.
     When the lower unit is out the rod can be turned in until it stops. It is then properly aligned as to go back in. My question is since I use just a measuring tape for the 26 7/8" which I know now must be done clearly when it is in neutral, the fact is these old peepers may not align and measure it so well. Does it work if I turn it out so many turns as when in the old days I adjusted carburators that way? Or does it work better to disengage the pin that holds it in the yoke under the carburater, put the throttle in neutral, and then see how high or low the rod pin hole is in relation to the yoke when it is in neutral? Is there another easier way of doing this? I hope to make this next dropping of the lower unit the last.   Thanks,   Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal