You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1979 22-2 FF fuel tank cleaning  (Read 1491 times)

September 28, 2011, 02:09:21 PM
Reply #15

cclovern

• Information Offline
Re: 1979 22-2 FF fuel tank cleaning
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
I have access to a steam cleaner , I work in the power generation industry. The only issue is access to the inside of the tank , the only place is the fuel sending unit. I flushed it with water then used a Castrol Degreaser called purple power added about 20 gallons hot water some stones for abrasion and sloshed it all around. I then rinsed it 4 times and am currently letting it air dry. It was air pressure tested as mentioned before.
 I have thoughts about cutting an access port then either welding it back on or capping it with a plate and gasket. I am not sure if it is worth the time and expense since after the rinses the water came out clear and the filter was clean.

CJ the water absorber description you provided seems a lot like what I posted earlier , according to the manufacturer it performs several functions one of them being removing water.

September 28, 2011, 03:37:19 PM
Reply #16

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
Well you would only need a flexible head and nosole. I had a tank from my old 20 mako cleaned and welded by this guy. He only had access through the sending unit opening and  he was able to get his flex head passed the baffles through the holes in them. I used a video scope to check the tank after cleaning. And man did it do a good job.

September 28, 2011, 07:46:04 PM
Reply #17

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
Quote from: "cclovern"
CJ the water absorber description you provided seems a lot like what I posted earlier , according to the manufacturer it performs several functions one of them being removing water.

Bill explained this pretty well:
Quote from: "billatstarbrite"
Emulsifiers may seem to make water "disappear" but it's still there. They typically contain alcohol or a similar cousin. Adding more alcohol to E10 is not a great idea. You simply cannot make water disappear any more than you can make it burn. It's not possible. If it were, we'd all be filling our gas tanks via a garden hose.

You can achieve the same miraculous effect by adding EG (ethylene glycol, an alcohol cousin) antifreeze to water to make it "disappear."  Some gas treatments actually contain EG. Others have IPA which is Isopropyl Alchol (rubbing alcohol).

GM experimented with emulsified fuel in the 80s and found they had to rebuild the engines every 20 hours or so due to the significant carbon buildup. Emulsifed fuels do not burn cleanly, thus leaving carbon deposits.

Think about it... if something claims to remove water from your fuel, where does it go?  

This is a moot point anyway since you've physically removed all the water from your fuel and pulled your tank and cleaned it and tested it and it's all good.  That's great news!  :wink:  Nothing quite like peace of mind.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal