Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Will I be banished from the Aquasport clan?  (Read 1545 times)

July 26, 2011, 12:29:07 PM
Read 1545 times

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
Will I be banished from the Aquasport clan?
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
Hello all,
Its Steven, aka Kaptain Koz. I have a 1978 200CCP that I did some minor work to a few years ago. The work is posted on here somewhere. I totally love the boat and have set it up perfectly to my needs... but there are things that could be better. She needs a floor and I would probably pour a transom and get a new gas tank while im at it.
With that said, I have my eye on a 1980 246CCP which is in poor condition. It would basically be like starting from scratch for me to get the 246 to my liking.
Heres the (cool/evil/awesome/revolting...you take your pick) part:
I want to cut those awesome port and starbord stern battery boxes out of the 200 and glass them into the 246, as well as close off the transom and install an Armstrong bracket. I would use an existing in floor bait well and add a bait cutting station and tackle center inbetween the boxes. Then I want to use the smaller coffin box from thr 200 and move the center console up as far up the bow as I can against that smaller box. I would need to cut up the 200 to use fiberglass parts (cap pieces, long flat sections) as donor parts to close up the transom and finish the custom stern work. I would basically be adding about 4 feet between my swing back cooler seat and the transom which for me is a huge plus. Alot of the woodwork is the same so that saves me time by swapping them, also I would take alot of the goodies I have bolted to the 200 for the 246. So basically I would leave the 200 in a heap of landfill junk while creating the ultimate 246 fishing machine for myself. The 246 needs a floor as well so no harm done there in the sense that im going to have to get dirty one boat or another. I plan on building off of the center console by adding a pilot house or "phone booth" as I call it - a 3 sided enclosure with a roof long enough to cover the swing back seat, but with a narrow roof, unlike a t-top (see pacificpilothouse.com, "californian" model, to get where im going with this). I like to cast so I do not want anything in my way.
Yes, I am not thrilled about taking a cool boat out of circulation but financially I do not have a choice. The 200 is close to worthless as a hull that needs a floor, so its not like I can sell her to fund the 246. Also, that original swing back cooler seat is near impossible to find- she stays with me.  So I would need to canabalize her to build the next one. I cannot afford to keep and restore both boats.
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

July 26, 2011, 12:45:56 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: Will I be banished from the Aquasport clan?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
I think you will be forgiven by the AS gods since your resurrecting a 246 and keeping the donor boat from the same pedigree. The difference between a 19-6 and a 22-2 is a lot more than 2.5 feet, its a totally different boat in response and ride quality. So going to a 246 is really going to be a thrill.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

July 26, 2011, 01:23:05 PM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
Quote from: "kaptainkoz"
Hello all,
I want to cut those awesome port and starbord stern battery boxes out of the 200 and glass them into the 246, as well as close off the transom and install an Armstrong bracket. I would use an existing in floor bait well and add a bait cutting station and tackle center inbetween the boxes. Then I want to use the smaller coffin box from thr 200 and move the center console up as far up the bow as I can against that smaller box. I would need to cut up the 200 to use fiberglass parts (cap pieces, long flat sections) as donor parts to close up the transom and finish the custom stern work. I would basically be adding about 4 feet between my swing back cooler seat and the transom which for me is a huge plus. Alot of the woodwork is the same so that saves me time by swapping them, also I would take alot of the goodies I have bolted to the 200 for the 246. So basically I would leave the 200 in a heap of landfill junk while creating the ultimate 246 fishing machine for myself. The 246 needs a floor as well so no harm done there in the sense that im going to have to get dirty one boat or another. I plan on building off of the center console by adding a pilot house or "phone booth" as I call it - a 3 sided enclosure with a roof long enough to cover the swing back seat, but with a narrow roof, unlike a t-top (see pacificpilothouse.com, "californian" model, to get where im going with this). I like to cast so I do not want anything in my way.
Yes, I am not thrilled about taking a cool boat out of circulation but financially I do not have a choice. The 200 is close to worthless as a hull that needs a floor, so its not like I can sell her to fund the 246. Also, that original swing back cooler seat is near impossible to find- she stays with me.  So I would need to canabalize her to build the next one. I cannot afford to keep and restore both boats.

Koz - not a completely happy situation, but ya gotta do what you gotta do...  The battery boxes are not glassed in - they are usually mounted with screws, so they are easy to remove.  A 200 coffin on a 246 gives you a lot more space in the bow area is the coffin will fit around the later-model 246 in-deck hatch.  (Measure twice - cut once...)

So you lose one and gain one.  You may want to do like Scott did with Miss Marco and offer the leftover hull to someone as a rebuild project - always someone looking for a free hull for a project...
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

July 26, 2011, 02:20:04 PM
Reply #3

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
I personally don't see any problem with it myself - Sure, these old Aqua's have sentimental value for some and are sought after by people such as ourselves, but like you said, you don't stand to make any real gain from selling the 200 in the state it's in now, and at the end of the day, its your boat; do what you like with it.  When it comes to offshore boats, the bigger the better.  It's nothing but you and the water out there, so any added weight and length to soften the ride is never a bad thing.  

The only question I'd ask myself is what do you do with your boat now that you might have trouble doing in the 246?  Do you find yourself in tight spots like back creeks catching bait, or just fishing for Reds or Flounder and the like?  Bigger boats are cumbersome in situations like this, and can be a bear to maneuver at the dock / ramp.  Do you have the horsepower to pull the boat down the road safely?
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

July 26, 2011, 02:21:35 PM
Reply #4

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
Sounds like a neat project.  And I like the idea of offering the hull to someone else.  Go for it.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

July 26, 2011, 03:43:53 PM
Reply #5

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
From one AS to another...why on earth do you think the AS Gods would look down upon you?

Hell, when I get the cash, the time, and the wherewithall to do it, it's going to be a 29 SF for me...twin 315 Yanmars, 3KW Westerbeke, AC...yep, that's what I want!  And with a dive ladder off the swim platform so I can hop down just off the channel in the Manatee river and wade to get my snook and reds... :cheers:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

July 26, 2011, 06:55:19 PM
Reply #6

vonkamp

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Aqua-Franken-Sport... :thumleft:  :thumright:

July 26, 2011, 10:02:03 PM
Reply #7

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
Thanks for all the good vibes guys. Here is a pic of the 200ccp's stern. Not many are familiar with it being they only made it for a few years.

I would cut that bench and spashwell out and replace it with a bait station on top, a 4 slot plano box tackle locker in the gunnel, and keep the in floor bait well. This stern is definitely my favorite part of the boat so It has to come with me. The 246 has this wide open double motor transom and this bath tub sized splash well... not too attractive for my needs.

One of the trade offs for size is manuverabilty and I have taken that into consideration. I am mostly a blackfish/seabass/striper fisherman which puts me near shore in the ocean. I am not a big back bay guy. I dont really care for fluke and Jones inlet's back bays suck for fishing mostly because they are quite void of any structure. If it cant pull my drag im not really interested in it.
Docking with 4 more feet will take a bit more and trailering isnt much of a problem. I have an old range Rover now, but soon to be replaced by a older Durango or a used Land Rover Discovery. Besides, hull weight difference is only 800 lbs - from 1800 to 2600. Not too bad

As for offering the hull for free, I have no issue with that, but I litterally plan on cutting pieces of cap, gunnel and maybe even hull out to compete this project. For example, In order to bridge the transom gap and for it to have a factory look with the same profile, I was going to cut and glass in pieces of the port or starbord cap. The tramsom gunnel would be a straight flat piece cut out of the port gunnel. Instead of using wood and glassing over I was looking to use existing fiberglass panels and fiberglass the edge together. The less wood the better. So I dont even think there will be much left that is usable.... but that remains to be seen.

The 246's in deck fore hatch would be moved closer to the anchor locker and a I would fabricate a custom flush in-floor hatch cover with its own drain system out of fiberglass (similar to what alot of boats have in casting platforms). I am too heavy for these crappy plastic jobs that stick up almost an inch and crack when I walk on them. I think I would end up gaining almost 4 feet from where the cc is now. I would sell the 246's coffin

Similar to my 200ccp now, the batteries would be relocated under the center console. It sucks getting them in and out but they are high and dry.

Again, thanks for the good vibes. I will post play by plays if it happens. To see what I have done before, here is the link to my 1978 200ccp project. Yes, this would be the donor boat.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3858&p=24660#p24660

July 26, 2011, 10:04:42 PM
Reply #8

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
to post your pics,copy and paste the "img "line to your post :cheers:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

July 27, 2011, 01:27:00 PM
Reply #9

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Good to see you are back on the board Koz :wink:

I think that you have a great plan.  Let's face it, most of the older Aquasports will eventually end up at the landfill anyway.  Build this 246 like you want and you will have a true fishing machine :!:   Once you get to the finished product you will never doubt what you did.

I have taken the 222 CCP that I bought back in January and slowly transformed her.  She was a little rough when I got her, but have concentrated on one thing at a time and she is looking great.

My advice is worry about the cosmetics last.  Set up the 246 to be seaworthy and laid out like you want then worry about cosmetics.  I am on the cosmetic phase on my CCP now because she is now set up like I want her.

Good luck and lets see some pictures :wink:
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

July 27, 2011, 11:46:57 PM
Reply #10

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »
Hello Jdupree,
Nice to hear from you again. Its been a while but I have been enjoying the 200ccp as I set her up so not much of anything has changed. Yes, im really getting into this project and my mind has been racing with awesome ideas. I have a 1988 150 Evinrude for sale on Craigslist. If she sells before the guy sells the 246 then I can justify buying it. I think I will get a motor and a gps/ff on the 246 asap and fish the fall striper and blackfish runs.... then its sawzalls, cutting wheels and fiberglass. I have a few great ideas to make her like no other. Stay tuned!

PS- Nice work on that 222. that transom bracket is awesome. "capping" the cap definitely adds all the rigidity you would need. Thats why I had the top welded to my plate to reduce flex. Awesome piece.

July 30, 2011, 03:38:35 PM
Reply #11

Mcdiver

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
I think you did a great job with your 200 and have been taking some of your ideas to use on mine.  But if you can take 2 boats and make a really good one from it, them rock and roll!
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal