Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Gas cap venting  (Read 159 times)

April 23, 2023, 11:11:04 PM
Read 159 times

Korourke

• Information Offline
Gas cap venting
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:11:04 PM »
I have a 2003 aquasport Osprey 205 I having a issue with engine surging while on lane I eliminated the engine by hooking up a portable gas tank no surging . I’m perplex about the venting , no outside vent hose , vent hose from gas to gas filler , is the gas cap dong the venting just wondering if that’s my problem the venting doesn’t seem right unless I’m looking at this wrong , can someone explain the aquasport venting

April 24, 2023, 09:24:24 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gas cap venting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 09:24:24 AM »
I’m perplex about the venting , no outside vent hose , vent hose from gas to gas filler , is the gas cap dong the venting just wondering if that’s my problem the venting doesn’t seem right unless I’m looking at this wrong , can someone explain the aquasport venting

If I understand your post, the vent line is attached to the gas fill, correct?

I can't speak to your hull model but older models used the typical fuel fill cap and a separate vent. Boat manufacturers started using the vented fuel fill to eliminate the old school separate vent to save a little production time and to be environmental friendly (think reduce chance of spillage). The fill insert is a plastic/polymer insert with a metal cap. When filling the tank, air is displaced by the addition of fuel and needs somewhere to go, hence the vent. "Burping" fuel overboard at a land based gas station isn't good but will get you into far less trouble with the Feds than on the water at a marina. With the vent integrated into the filler neck, purged air/fuel is redirected back into the tank through the fill line rather than overboard.

OK, that's how it basically works. Have you tried fiddling with the fuel primer bulb while underway? This is a known cause of several fuel related problems with surging being one. Check to see of the bulb collapses when your surging occurs. I don't think the vent is your problem.

]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal