Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 1999 215 Explorer with 2stroke Johnson 200 outboard staling/bogging out  (Read 242 times)

July 03, 2021, 12:46:49 PM
Read 242 times

tonyperkis

• Information Offline
So the boat ran great after de winterizing checking engine on land running etc and launching it 3/4 weeks ago. Speed and power were normal and was able to get on plane coming from launch ramp back to dock slip. 1 week after launch I went for a second ride with 2 friends and we all noticed the power was extremely different than last season, I then realized we were going 10-15mph full throttle (WOT) and not able to get on plane. Almost felt like we were crawling but the RPMs were at 3900/4000 which I thought was odd so we Bring the boat back in. 1 week after that I go again and she starts right up at the dock runs for 5-10min No stalling at dock and head out. we’re out of the harbor but power still low , anchor Turn off then leaving fires right up and bring her back in low power.

Now third trip out since putting her in I start her at the dock and she is idiling at 2000-2500rpm and seems jerky, stahls out after 5 min. Primer ball check - I restart her and she’s fine so we are out on the water anchor and hang. Go to start - it cranks but won’t start. Prime , start,  nothing, wait 5 minutes she starts stalls. Wait another 5 starts and I give throttle right away and we are able to get heading back into the docks

I changed the spark plugs as my first thought then fuel filter was my next, I noticed a nipple out of the fuel filter side was popped off a plug so I popped it back in and started the engine. Runs then puts out after 5 minutes. Idle still seems high at 2-2500rpm in neutral

Any ideas what the problem could be? Bought this boat last August and have only taken her out 15-20 times max and not seen any trips longer than a mile or so out of the harbor

August 06, 2021, 08:57:54 PM
Reply #1

Kalan

• Information Offline
Re: 1999 215 Explorer with 2stroke Johnson 200 outboard staling/bogging out
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 08:57:54 PM »
put in fresh gas and new inline filter

August 15, 2021, 08:07:41 PM
Reply #2

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
Re: 1999 215 Explorer with 2stroke Johnson 200 outboard staling/bogging out
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »
a high idle can be the result of a vacuum leak somewhere, possible loose carb?
The following won't result in a high idle, but might as well check some easy stuff - Try having somebody squeeze the primer ball as you're throttling up, see if you can get more rpm out of it by doing that. If so you've probably got a fuel line thats falling apart from the inside and collapsing as the engine's fuel pump is sucking fuel. Or just replace the fuel lines if they look old.
There should also be a check valve where the fuel line connects to the tank, these can get crusty over time maybe it's partially stuck?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal