Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Wiring to Suzuki gauges  (Read 382 times)

July 29, 2020, 12:36:27 PM
Read 382 times

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
Wiring to Suzuki gauges
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
I have a question for the electrical and rigging experts.  I am in the process of undoing a number of sins by previous owners, especially an atrocious wiring job.  Some of the ridiculous wiring appears to have been done by the guys that rigged the Suzuki outboard, because the wiring to all of the gauges is the subject of my question, and they are all new Suzuki gauges.  In series with most of the gauge ignition terminals (gray in Suzuki-speak) are clear plastic devices that are inflated with air (or some other gas).  They are about two inches long by about 3/4" around.  I cannot tell if they are some sort of weatherproof connection or fuse, but one of them had a voltage drop of about 3 VDC across it.  My first question is what the hell are these things?  My second question has to do with circuit protection to the gauges.  I have never thought about it before, but the ignition wire could short anywhere in the circuit and one would think it would have to be protected by a fuse somewhere.  Is this done in the outboard?  I don't see any fusing at the ignition switch.  Is this something Suzuki does at each gauge?

Thanks in advance,
Blake

July 29, 2020, 06:01:08 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Wiring to Suzuki gauges
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
A picture or two would help us out. Follow the instructions here http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0  - don't attach them - you are limited by file size. Uploading them into your "member gallery" is better for viewing.
Spend a few minutes to absorb the instructions. It's really easy. Remember if using a phone to take pics, to hold the phone horizontal with the lens to the left.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 04, 2020, 12:48:54 PM
Reply #2

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
So here's a pic of the device in question.  I'm thinking it is some kind of fusible link.  There is no writing on the outside.  It is a soft plastic that can be squeezed some, and filled with a gas.  It can't be opened without destroying it.  The ruler is in cm, so it is about 2 3/8" x 1".  One of these was in series with the ignition lead of each gauge except (I think) the voltmeter.  Maybe this is because the input impedance of a voltmeter is so high?  If this is for protection of the ignition circuit, why have I never seen them before?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Blake

August 05, 2020, 07:27:46 AM
Reply #3

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
I'm somewhat stumped at this point. I tried the logical things; splices, resistors,noise suppressor, fuses , diode but can't find a pic yet. It looks familiar to me (not in a marine environment) but I just can't place it.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 05, 2020, 09:54:40 AM
Reply #4

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
Thanks for your input, Capt. Bob.  I didn't think of the diode possibility, which I could test with my multimeter.  But why would such be needed in this application and not be readily recognizable?  If there's a legitimate need for these devices, we should have all seen them multiple times.  Which brings me back to one of my original questions.  How is circuit protection for the ignition wire to the gauges accomplished? 

Thanks again,
Blake

August 05, 2020, 11:02:30 AM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
How is circuit protection for the ignition wire to the gauges accomplished?

I would think that the fuse located close to the starter that provides the harness power is what is used. It is closest to the power source. With the battery switch on, you'll have (should) 12 V at the starter battery connection. From there, power is supplied to the harness and passes through that fuse. Remove it and there is no power supplied to the key switch and thus the gauges become a negative function.

Circuit protection is best suited when placed close to the power source. A fuse at the gauge leaves a lot of wire unprotected. It could however be like having a belt with your suspenders. :ScrChin:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 05, 2020, 04:07:51 PM
Reply #6

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 04:07:51 PM »
There are probably glass fuse holders in there.   :?:  But you can't see if the fuse is blown or see corrosion in those.   :think1:  So cut it out and splice in an ATO/AGC blade type fuse holder.  The kind with the gasketed cover.  Then you can see what is going on and change it if you necessary.   :13:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

August 28, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
Reply #7

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »
So I figured out what the device is - a 47 Ohm resistor.  Not a diode, a fuse or a fusible link.  I opened one of the enclosures and it is clearly marked 47 Ohm and measures such with a multimeter.  Same resistance in either direction in diode mode.  So my question now is why would they be in the circuit?  They were ahead of the ignition connection to most of the gauges (not the voltmeter, I think, but I neglected to get a picture - dumb a@#).  So has anyone seen this in a Suzuki gauge rigging before?  The motor is a 2011 four stroke.  The gauges are all labeled Suzuki.  Why would you need 47 ohms of current limitation in series with the ignition lead of the gauge?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blake

August 28, 2020, 12:56:49 PM
Reply #8

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
My guess is that it could be for interference on the line - so it would be a filter that has an impedence of 47ohms. Usually a cap/choke combo.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

August 28, 2020, 01:01:55 PM
Reply #9

TikiDoc

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »
No capacitor, just a 47 ohm resistor.  I could see how a a capacitor/resistor combination can decrease ripple and noise in the circuit.  This is done routinely in tube amplifier circuits, but this is just a resistor.  I'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal