Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Finally Done!  (Read 6540 times)

December 05, 2012, 09:11:04 AM
Read 6540 times

cawfl

• Information Offline
Finally Done!
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
Hello everyone. I am very serious about purchasing a mid 80's center console, which I am going to look at this weekend. The price I feel is very, very reasonable however the boat has been sitting for a couple years. The engine was completely rebuilt about 4 years ago by a very reputable shop here in Melbourne. The owner says that last time it was taken out last season the boat would idle fine and run fine with minimal throttle however would die out when trying to plane. I have had two boats in the past and in my experience this sounds like the carbs needs to be cleaned. I would like to know if I should look out for anything in particular when inspecting this boat such as are the fuel tanks on these prone to water getting in and are there any areas on the floor that show soft spots more then others? I have owned a Sailfish 216 and a Carolina Skiff 17DLX in the past so I am familiar with boats.

Thank you in advance for any info that is provided.

December 05, 2012, 10:25:23 AM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Potential new owner here looking for guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »
222 CCP it appears.

Fuel tank is most likely toast unless someone recently replaced it.

I would not be surprised if the deck area in front of the coffin box is soft/spongy.

Tap the transom for indication of rot around the lifting rings, trim tabs or any penetration really (drain plug is worst place).

Cant tell from the pics but look for cracking on the top areas of the transom where it meets the cap. Yet another area for water to enter/wood to rot.

Check transom flex

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 05, 2012, 10:52:02 AM
Reply #2

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
She is a 200 CCP.  The giveaway is the splashwell area and transom.  The 222 has a wider notched transom for the option of twins, where the 200 CCP only has room for a single.

Check for all things that Capt. Bob mentioned above.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 05, 2012, 11:04:48 AM
Reply #3

cawfl

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
Thank you for your responses. I plan to check various areas around the hull for soft spots as well and under the coffin box. I am not certain about the gas tank but will find out on Sat when I look at it. They are only asking $1,000 for it however my concern is the fuel tank and any fiberglass repairs. I guess I could use an external fuel tank as I will only being using the boat for cruising in the Inter coastal and island hopping.

Thanks again

December 05, 2012, 11:08:46 AM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
Quote from: "jdupree"
She is a 200 CCP.  The giveaway is the splashwell area and transom.  The 222 has a wider notched transom for the option of twins, where the 200 CCP only has room for a single.

That's you JD. :thumleft:

Here's a link for some specs on that model
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... -p&cat=573

There is a number of tank replacements for these models (CCP) on this site. Search feature is your friend.
Not extremely hard. Tank costs are around $10 per gal. on new. Hoses, and cover repairs (if needed). Rest is sweat equity.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 05, 2012, 01:55:10 PM
Reply #5

Mike 139

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:55:10 PM »
You want to check all areas of the deck for soft spots as well as the mounts/hardware  for the console and T-top and anything else attached to the hull or deck. Check the rubrail rail for impact damage.

When you open the pie plate for the fuel tank,you can see if it's been replaced or not and if you can smell gas,it's leaking. The 200 is a V-6 2 stroke, on a good day,1.5-2 mpg....you want to pull all the plugs and look inside the cyclinders with a flashlight for carbon and damage. Alot of times, you'll see metal deposits on the plugs from overheating...compression should be even,within 10% of each other...If it's dying out under load,it's either ignition or carbs need re-build . Splashing any used boat,before making an offer is important. Things such as overheating due to corrosion,lack of maintainance,damaged lower unit from hitting things ,etc show up. Be sure and get down and check the keel for damage,lots of people  like to run aground or hit rocks.... The trailer needs to be looked at also as they are frequently neglected,rusted springs,hardware,dry rotted tires,etc. Fergusons on 192  has a good rep for trailer repairs/parts.

December 05, 2012, 02:22:51 PM
Reply #6

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »
They are only asking a grand for it?  I assume that is without a trailer?  If it includes a trailer you can't go wrong... well I don't think you can go wrong even if it does not come with a trailer.  That motor looks like a mid to late 90's model..  Good strong motor but as mentioned she will drink some fuel.  The carbs are super easy to clean on those things.  I'd at least do a compression test on her...  and of course check the hull for the usual wood rot etc...   The fuel tank should have a plate on it with the date etc.  Should be visible under a pie plate.  If it is the origianl fuel tank it could be OK but plan on one in the near future.  If it has been sitting I'm sure you have some NASTY fuel in there.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

December 05, 2012, 03:37:27 PM
Reply #7

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
They are only asking a grand for it?  I assume that is without a trailer?  If it includes a trailer you can't go wrong... well I don't think you can go wrong even if it does not come with a trailer.  That motor looks like a mid to late 90's model..  Good strong motor but as mentioned she will drink some fuel.  The carbs are super easy to clean on those things.  I'd at least do a compression test on her...  and of course check the hull for the usual wood rot etc...   The fuel tank should have a plate on it with the date etc.  Should be visible under a pie plate.  If it is the origianl fuel tank it could be OK but plan on one in the near future.  If it has been sitting I'm sure you have some NASTY fuel in there.

Agree with wingtime.  Take away the trailer and motor and you still have a great deal if she is solid.  T-top and electronics box worth that alone :thumleft:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 05, 2012, 05:20:00 PM
Reply #8

cawfl

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Yes the price is with the trailer and any electronics that comes with it. I am hoping to get lucky with the gas tank since the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and maybe the fuel lines were replaced at that time. The trailer will definitely need to be rebuilt which I can handle once I get the boat in the water. I have had 2 Yamaha outboards and am not familiar with Johnson's so I will have to do some research on it. I believe the motor is a lte 90's.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

December 05, 2012, 05:48:43 PM
Reply #9

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
Well lets put it this way.... If you decide to pass on it...  let me know  :lol:
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

December 05, 2012, 06:15:30 PM
Reply #10

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 06:15:30 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
Well lets put it this way.... If you decide to pass on it...  let me know  :lol:

Pretty much...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

December 05, 2012, 08:12:26 PM
Reply #11

Mike 139

• Information Offline
#5Re: Potential new owner here looking for guidance
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
In picture #5,it appears to have the upgraded blue/gray fuel line....the problem with the aluminum  tanks was electrolysis and they leaked thru the small holes.

For 1K, as others have stated,if the hull is solid, it's a deal......if you have to replace tank,stringers,deck,transom, than maybe not so much.

The Johnson line was discontinued by BRP in 2005, BRP produces the E-Tec under the Evinrude name.  

The OMC motors are similar to the 2 stroke Yamaha's.....OMC TCW 3= Yamalube.....2+4 fuel conditioner=Ringfree.

You always want to run ethanol free fuel, use top grade oil and additive, keep the fuel filters changed, change the water pump impellor and thermostats and service the lower unit every year and flush the motor after each use,don't forget to wash the salt off the Trim and tilt unit and grease all the fittings I always sprayed the powerhead and all electrical connections with Boshield T9. As with all things Marine, a little preventative maintainance goes a long way. Boathouse has everything you need.

December 06, 2012, 10:42:24 AM
Reply #12

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
You can quickly check the condition of the fuel and tank.  Take hose off engine and use the ball to pump some gas into a clear jar.  See if there's water / sediment in there.  Like it's been said, tank is probably donezo.  1K is a steal but you might have to spend a lot to get the engine running if its been operating with contaminated fuel for some time.  But then again doesn't sound like it's been operating much at all.  Given that, I'd say the transom / floor condition is the key factor.  Personally I wouldn't want to mess with replacing either, I'd rather just get a boat in better shape, but many people here would disagree : )
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

December 06, 2012, 11:28:46 AM
Reply #13

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
I would just figure a new tank in your budget.  Worse case even if you have to spend several thousand you will still be ahead of the game.

Also, I think the deck condition will largely depend on whether the deck hatch was ever installed in front of the coffin box.  If the hatch was never installed, my bet is the deck will be fine.  The deck hatch was sealed poorly and that is usually why the decks on the CCP'S started going south.  My 200 CCP did not have the deck hatch and my deck was solid as a rock.
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

December 07, 2012, 12:59:08 AM
Reply #14

cawfl

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »
Thanks again everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I plan to do as thorough inspection as I can with all of the information you provided. I really hope this works out. The owner has owned the boat for many years and took really good care of it from what he says. He moved away shortly after the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and it has had minimal useage since.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal