Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 4735 times)

November 18, 2011, 09:35:58 PM
Read 4735 times

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Whiskey
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
WHISKEY

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

GOTTA LOVE A POLITICIAN!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 18, 2011, 09:50:39 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
They come from Texas...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 18, 2011, 10:35:45 PM
Reply #2

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
In the immortal words of Seabob4... "Oh lord..."

That's right, "Oh Lord" thought I, as I read that first disparaging paragraph and I longed to down a can of spinach and knock heads

together.  Then the clever bastard dug himself right out of his own grave and I am now a true devotee of his wisdom and

enlightenment.  

On a side note, the Bourbon whiskey industry is currently enjoying a boom, particularly in Fronce (no mispelling); apparently the

surrender monkeys have developed a taste for something wholesome and delicious. :oops:   International bourbon sales are up 18%

over last year and in Kentucky, all is right with the world. :cheers:

Old # 12 for everyone !! :salut:
T Race
1999 Aquasport 215 Explorer, IO, Hardtop
2006 Ford F-150 SCab, 4WD

November 18, 2011, 10:41:18 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
WHISKEY

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

GOTTA LOVE A POLITICIAN!

By golly...Armon M. Sweat, junior to his daddy...and given his assumed affinity for alcohol....would presume that he came from a long line of Sweats :lol:

A fella next to my own heart, certainly, and to support the poor on either venue, by golly, he's a philanthropist. And such beautiful, poetic prose, the "lubricant of conversation" :lol: ...who couldn't support his opinions? Particularly since the next round's on him :lol:

I LOVE politricks...just like Christmas. With a bit of a twist...the same ads every year :santa:

November 18, 2011, 10:46:35 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Quote from: "T Race"

That's right, "Oh Lord" thought I, as I read that first disparaging paragraph and I longed to down a can of spinach and knock heads

together.  Then the clever bastard dug himself right out of his own grave and I am now a true devotee of his wisdom and

enlightenment.  

On a side note, the Bourbon whiskey industry is currently enjoying a boom, particularly in Fronce (no mispelling); apparently the

surrender monkeys have developed a taste for something wholesome and delicious. :oops:   International bourbon sales are up 18%

Trace, funny thing is, when I say "Oh Lord"?  It's about the opposite of what the Lord might say!

And I'll still stick with my Natty Lights (now that you have been edjumacated!), but you boys enjoy your Maker's!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 18, 2011, 11:12:58 PM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »

enlightenment.  

Good thinking there Trace.. Old #12 makes everything else taste like Old Tennis Shoe :lol:

Great to see you back friend....Happy Thanksgiving :thumright:

And on topic...here's some great juice to "wake up" with..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_kgy8NpVw

November 19, 2011, 11:04:29 AM
Reply #6

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
And I have my 12 Yr Single Malt Glenlivet (thanks T  :salut: ) for a few special holiday sippin occasions.
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

November 19, 2011, 09:07:37 PM
Reply #7

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
Marc, my brother !!  You are VERY welcome, very welcome indeed.  

And you have heard that very common expression: "Oh, Scotch, THAT is an ACQUIRED taste - it's not for everyone..."  

As in, "Have we boiled horse eyes?  Oui, monsieur, but it is an acquired taste..."

Some day I will have to start along that road to gaining the taste for Scotch...and it is a road I have no aversions to traveling  :wink:

Bob, Natty Lights make the world go round !!  May you Huggies never be empty !!

Scott, I am not sure which we enjoyed more: the folks Shagging at the beach or the cool song !    I promised my Hunny that I would

learn to do the Shag.   Capital, CAPITAL !!
T Race

November 19, 2011, 09:16:56 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Damn, Marc, Glenlivet...that is good ch!t right there!!  Refridge the bottle so you can serve it cold, and neat.  Don't want ice to melt, as it is like spring water with a scotch flavor.  Don't want to dilute it...

Trace, once you "acquire" the taste for scotch, you will realize how sweet bourbon is.  Sugar creates the hangover.  Good single malt scotch like Glenlivet of Glenfiddich?  Nothing better, my friend... :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 19, 2011, 09:31:15 PM
Reply #9

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
Sounds like good advise... I'm writing that down now..... :wink:
T Race

November 19, 2011, 09:58:34 PM
Reply #10

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
Sounds like good advise... I'm writing that down now..... :wink:

Give it a try.  Scotch has a nuttiness to it, simalar to cheese, where good swiss has that nutty flavor...

Trust me, my friend.  Once you learn to like scotch, you'll never go back to bourbon.  And most kids don't like swiss cheese, if you get my drift... :wink:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 19, 2011, 11:01:31 PM
Reply #11

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Sugar creates the hangover.

Actually your blood sugar levels are decreased substantially when drunk and that results in a fatigued state. The pounding brain is a combination of dehydration and swollen vessels caused by the alcohol. Drink lots of water as well as booze so you are clear and copious. After all it's poison and with any substance that alters your state of mind you should always count on withdrawal. Some worse than others. :drunken:

Besides, if it was good for me, I probably wouldn't do it. :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 21, 2011, 03:39:04 PM
Reply #12

c master

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
Q:  How many Frenchmen does it take to defend their country?

A:  Nobody knows.
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170
file:///C:/Users/cliff.haehl/AppData/Local/Temp/IMG_0135.jpg

file:///C:/Users/cliff.haehl/AppData/Local/Temp/IMG_0135.jpg

November 22, 2011, 01:09:31 AM
Reply #13

T Race

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
Quote from: "c master"
Q:  How many Frenchmen does it take to defend their country?

A:  Nobody knows.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
T Race

November 22, 2011, 09:04:07 AM
Reply #14

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
OK, let's completely derail this posting and go postal on the French!

Q. How many Frenchmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A. One, because he holds the bulb and all of Europe revolves around him
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How do you confuse a French Soldier?  
A: Give him a rifle and ask him to shoot it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What's the motto of the US Marine Corps?  
A: Semper Fi (Always Faithful)
Q: What's the motto of the French Army?  
A: Stop, drop, and run!
Q.   Why don't Master Card and Visa work well in France? A.   They do not know how to say "CHARGE!"
Q: What do women who are snipers in the French military use as camouflage?  
A: Their armpits.
The recent tremors felt throughout France have been attributed to the fifty six thousand+ WWI & WWII U.S. soldiers spinning in their graves.
Q: What do you call a French man killed defending his country?
A: I don't know either, its never happened!
Q: What Does "Maginot Line" mean in French?
A: "Speed bump ahead"
Q: What’s the new French flag look like?
A: A white cross emblazoned on a white background!
Famous quotes about the French: "I just love the French. They taste like chicken!" ---- Hannibal Lecter "France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." ---Mark Twain "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --- General George S. Patton "The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." --- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
Q: What is the difference between American fries and French fries?
A: Courage!!
During one of the many wars that the French and the British fought and the French usually lost, the French just happened to capture a British Major.  An officer brought the Major to the French general for interrogation.  The French general began ridiculing the Major for wearing "that stupid red tunic."  The French general said, "Why to you wear that red uniform, it makes it easy for us to shoot you."  The British major replied, "If I do get wounded, the blood will not show, and my soldiers will not get scared."  The French general said, "That is a very good idea," The Frenchy turned to his orderly and said, "From now on all French officers will wear brown pants."
Q: Why do the French never perform “the wave” at a soccer game?
A: Because, that’s a gesture reserved for use only in time of war.
"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure." Jacques Chirac, President of France. "As far as France is concerned, you're right." Rush Limbaugh
Q: What's the shortest book ever written?  
A: French War Heroes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal